Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Evolving past bashing styles, systems and schools.

Lightbulb Evolving past bashing styles, systems and schools.

The topic pretty much says it all. I guess i should have put in the forefront of that topic "When will we....?"

Are we so arrogant and jaded and biased that we have to fall in to the traps of judging other schools and systems and styles?
    i mean i have heard time and time again the saying "well if it works for you and you are happy then cool".(or some derivative of that comment) It can be a convienient excuse for masking disdain and passive agressively judging someones choice of school ,style or system.

Why are we Men so pre-disposed to resorting to the violence of what we do? i mean being that we we practice is fighting. but do we really have to stop there and remain,in my opinion, on the surface level of what these arts and systems are all about?

no wonder the chinese laugh at us and think us ridiculous. I for one would like to see here on this forum decent exchanges of information rather than immature bantering and BS.
    i dont exclude myself from all the immature banter and BS. i own my own writings here. But i am tired of it. i had a revelation the other night that "the world does NOT revolve around our jaded perceptions of each other and what we practice".
    What we do is but a fraction of what the world is about and i think it is time we evolve past all this BS and really be the disciplined people that we "think" and "claim" we are.
    I apologize for sounding so preachy but i feel someone here has to say something and hopefully others will truely understand what i am writing here.
    despite our political and martial arts differences we are good people(for the most part). we may not do good things at times and we reveal our flaws and imperfections here. But i have faith that at some point on this forum that we will start really talking martial arts and really exchanging good info and sharing our own personal insights to things, rather than repeating what someone else has said or thinks.
    Many Respects,,,,TWS
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

TWS.

I fully agree with your post.

I also think that all this bashing & do you spar etc is just egotesticle and excrement of male bovine.

I never bash someone elses style. it is true though that a lot of people on here are very much into verbal-fu, and use it for their own nefarious ends- i.e. putting down arts that seem odd to them like capoeira, or arts that they are too fat to do well in, like TKD.
    "If there is no grand plan; if there is no big picture; if nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."

Well said.

Although I still think we should be calling fradulant schools for what they are. It helps the newbies avoid the same pitfalls we fell into.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

yes, but thats bashing a school, not a style. in the same way you would tell your friends about a dodgy car mechanic, but you wouldnt say that all mechanics are thieves
    "If there is no grand plan; if there is no big picture; if nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."

What ?

And actually have an intellectual discussion about Kung Fu here ???

Thats unthinkable !!!

Because I have not been above this, and I still can not believe that I am in fact no better than those who do on almost daily basis, all I can offer is I try to do better.

...I already tried

A couple of weeks ago I tried the same thing TWS, but my topic was hijacked by drinkers after many people called me down for being an ignorant kid that had no idea what he was talking about.

I expect something similar would happen here as well.

But I try to stay out of arguments around here.
    Shut up and train.

LUEsers unite

Blog Entries
    You know what really gets old....

"Can't we all get along" posts.

Look fellas... this is a open public forum. Anyone and everyone can sign on.

There's some worthwhile stuff that comes up on this board occasionally but most of it is just fluff.

What is your goal in coming here? Come on ...be honest.

Personally, much like the rest of you I just come here mainly for entertainment.

When there's something juicy going on it just makes it more entertaining.

I also come here to flex my intellectual muscles. Its fun to debate and argue and try to prove your point. Sometimes you realize your wrong, sometimes you have a better argument. Nothing gained nothing lost. This forum doesn't even physically exist. It's just some data in hard drive sitting in some office somewhere.

So don't get ya panties in a bunch.

I really think its lame when some egotist comes on here as the big reformer of the (insert forum name) forum. I see this same kind of crap go on on other forums that I read.

How fun would this forum be if everyone agreed and got along?
    Last edited by Fu-Pow; 11-09-2003 at 04:54 PM.

Well Said

TWS, Tril, And Everyone Else - I have actually had intelligent conversations, exchanges of ideas, techniques, etc. with people on this board. I too have been guilty of perpetuating a pointless argument. Recently however, I have posted threads, and participated in exchanges that had nothing to do with SD in particular, and everything to do with training. There will always be those who enjoy the "your style sucks and mine doesn't" threads. If you want the truth about ANY school or style, get up from your computer, go to the school, talk to the instructor, talk to the students, and cross hands with them if possible. Judge for yourself, and trust your own instincts. If you're tired of pointless debates, stay out of them. Heck, I actually agreed with Fu-Pow the other day. That's proof enough for me that we can move beyond the silliness...if we choose to. Respect, Peace, and Happy Training To All.

P.S. Tril - Sorry we 'jacked your thread. Have a drink you'll feel better.
    "Repugnant is a creature that would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of it's fleeting time here." - Tool

www.bentmonk.com

My goal in this forum is to expand my knowledge of Martial Arts.
    I have bashed and have been bashed, but what it comes down to is who has the thickest skin. Its also shows who is a gentleman and carries himself as such. What is said on here is to be taken lightly as it usually playful teasing.

Besides, who cares what other people think. As long as you find peace in your training. A great Gene Ching quote.
    CPA's current P4P List:
    -Bas Rutten
    -Captain Jack Sparrow
    -Cindy Lauper
    -Lester Moonvest

Lightbulb

quoted by Fu-pow
    I really think its lame when some egotist comes on here as the big reformer of the (insert forum name) forum. I see this same kind of crap go on on other forums that I read.
    this is what my whole thread is about. this above quote here. this is the kind of thing i think we need to evolve past. everyone is certainly entitled to thier opinion.
    But maybe Fu-Pow is right. maybe i should re state what i have written and say that "This is what I AM going to do from now on"
    rather than "This is what EVERYONE should be doing here".

Many Respects,,,,,TWS
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

Humility is a core element of Martial Arts. Besides, nobody likes an *******
    CPA's current P4P List:
    -Bas Rutten
    -Captain Jack Sparrow
    -Cindy Lauper
    -Lester Moonvest

TWS, you are falling into the same politically correct deconstruction of thought that is undermining Wesern thought. By claiming that ALL positions are acceptable, at what point can you claim anything to be true, or at least valid?

Let's face it, if you are making a claim, you should have some evidence to back it up. If you claim to be a fighter, fight. If you claim to be a great coach - show your students abilities.

Martial Arts are martial by nature. Without fighting skill, you are a performance artist. With martial skill being the deviding point of what is 'real' and what is not 'real' - it is inevitable that a fight becomes the way to prove the point. If you claim to be a great painter - show us your paintings.

To evaluate something is a natural extension of using your brain. Most of our grey matter is used to identify patterns in a field. This is what your mind does. Now, sometimes the emotional monkey takes over - people get defensive of themselves, others get offended. That is all part of being human. I do agree that the wisest course of action is to persue a mature attitude, and seek non-violent solutions. EXCEPT in the case of martial arts.

It just so happens that my primary lesson to students is one of non-violence. But it is tempered by the concept that some preach pacifism, but others are condemned to it. In evauating the skills that you will risk your life on, I prefer not to so philosophically wishywashy as to assume everyone and everything is equal. Because, unfortunately, we are only equal in the eyes of the law, not in nature. Some branches grow long, and some grow short. You can still be civil, bt you don't have to assume a falsehood in the name of niceness, just because someone a little misguided wants it to be true.

Now, there is a lot of room within this sphere for friendly disagreement, and ranges of opinion. But, if you can't fight and win most of the time, or at least HAD a fighting record, or just can't at least hang with the tough crowd, stop posing as someone who actually knows. If you are down to the coaching phase - show me the fighter that leearned from you.

There is at least one fellow on this thread that has admitted to me that he really does not know enough to teach, yet has been determined to do so. Who says give me a year to train when challenged, then spends that year doing a 500 yard backpedal with Olympic skill. And now is doing his best to be my own personal Tit sa. Here's a tip - if you can't walk the walk, don't be surprised if fighters don't listen when you talk the talk. Sometimes, you really do need a teacher.

The other point that I find difficult to comprehend is the we 'Men' line. As if men are somehow more thick-headed, stupid, and violent than women. The statistics show otherwise. Men are more likely to kill, but woman are just as violent, and just as thick-headed as men. Get over your weak minded politically correctedness - it won't get you laid.

Finally, to have an intellectual discussion about kung fu - there are people on this board, and ones I strongly disagree with who can have solid, good dscussions with. But that does not mean one has to suffer the company of the misguided or foolish without pointing it out.

See my signature below for the Bertrand Russell quote to better undertand...

Finally, I really do like the sentiment of yor last paragraph.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when they are making a mistake."
    --- Napoleon

"MonkeySlap is a brutal b@stard." -- SevenStar
    "Forgive them Lord, they know not what MS2 can do." -- MasterKiller
    "You're not gonna win a debate (or a fight) with MST. Resistance is futile." - Seven Star

Well I have read about someone's mother being a ho and several members telling each other to do physical impossible things to themselves. This is not what I call flexing your brain's muscle nor getting your point across. I will try not to do this but who knows what I may do after a shot or two of good KY bourbon