Thread: weightlifting for kung fu

weightlifting for kung fu

What particular weightlifting exercises do you guys do for what specific element/movement of your kung fu styles?
    ...don't think you are, know you are...

Grasp hold of great big training partner in Shuai Chiao throwing grip, lift off floor, hold for 10 seconds, return training partner to floor. Repeat until no longer possible. T.

Benchpress in case I need to push someone. Squats for leg strength and footwork. Deadlift in case I need to pull anyone. Pullups in case I need to pull anyone. Assorted stuff for abs, forearms as well. Endurance work too.

I've been doing weights for longer than MA, so I don't really target anything specifically for MA techniques. The exercises I do keep my whole body strong and much more resilient to punishment though.

Bigger, main muscular groups help your ma more than isolated movements I think. But train the whole body, nothing bad with adding some pounds. I personally like to focus on leg stuff
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

Last edited by anton; 11-10-2003 at 05:31 AM.
    The eunuch should not take pride in his chastity

Lots of body weight stuff. I don't think I've ever targeted a particular technique with an exercise, as in: "If I can do 800 lbs with exercise X, my Beng will be unstoppable!"
    Cut the tiny testicles off of both of these rich, out-of-touch sumbiches, crush kill and destroy the Electoral College, wipe clean from the Earth the stain of our corrupt politicians, and elect me as the new president. --Vash

Weight Training

Here's a site with some good ideas. Read the kettle bell stuff in the articles section. Also check the seminar section. Kettle bells are fun, different, and very effective.

www.fulcrumfitness.com
    "Repugnant is a creature that would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of it's fleeting time here." - Tool

www.bentmonk.com

Kettlebells, Olympic lifts, powerlifts. Single legged deadlift and weighted or unweighted pistols.

Roadwork, heavybag, bodyweight exercises.

Grip and ab work.

I just discovered sit ups on the ball things. the big grey ball. best sit ups
    I do not ever see Sifu do anything that could be construed as a hula dancer- hasayfu

Shaolin Do is the premier martial art in kentucky.Believable too.I haven't lifted weights in 5 years because it made my joints feel weak and it just generally made me strain alot which is weak.I concentrate mainly on movements that use relaxed and open joints with peng energy,spiral movemnts and full body structure which cannot be resisted by the opponent because you use internal energy

I do power sets. Curls and Push ups. I don't really lift. I do static contraction, Iron Bridge, Stance Training, and SC workouts.
    CPA's current P4P List:
    -Bas Rutten
    -Captain Jack Sparrow
    -Cindy Lauper
    -Lester Moonvest