Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Reverting to Kung Fu

To say you degraded then is inaccurate, you fell back on and relied upon your current muscle memory. Its a strength, not a weakness.

I think "reverting to kickboxing" can be translated as "reverting to basic techniques and stances and throwing all the complex crap out the window when you get punched in the face".

Originally posted by SifuAbel
    No, reverting to kickboxing is a rather inaccurate term that simply means that the person(s) in question become very sloppy,wasteful looking and throw all strategy to the wind and go wild.

A kickboxer can be said to have good kung fu if he remains clean , precise and accurate.

This term is misused and built upon too much in the wrong way.

The biggest things missing, if anything, in what you call kungfu/kickboxing, is the use of defense and footwork. The weapon used to strike is not important. The rules of the particular game should not effect the skill of the fighter.

WD has reached that place where he finally realized what his body has been trained to do. Apparently it was an enigma before.

Someone said you are coming to NY to challenge me? I have to start sharpening my pointy sticks again I guess?
    Nah, I was gonna come by and work out. No challenge intended. I plan on being in NY this summer, so I was going to try to visit your school and get a lesson some night, your schedule permitting.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

What complex crap?

Basic technique is not the brawling **** people are refering to.

To say you degraded then is inaccurate, you fell back on and relied upon your current muscle memory. Its a strength, not a weakness.
    True, but Relied upon CMA Mechanics in Boxing Class didn't sound as good for a title.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

It may not have been as shock worthy, But the reality is that is probably taught you more about what you already know.

no problem

(puts away pointy stick)

Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

What complex crap?

Basic technique is not the brawling **** people are refering to.
    Basic technique = Kickboxing != Kung Fu for those who use the term "reverted to kickboxing" or "degraded to kickboxing" seriously.

You didn't answer my question, What complex crap?

As per the term,

This is exactly my point, people refer to this as degrading to kickboxing when in fact its degraded to a school yard brawl not worthy of the kickboxing monicker.

When i see something like that, it tells me only one thing, These people don't have it yet, Period. If it degrades to a brawl it tells me, dollars to donuts, that it happens when they practice too. In other words, they practice at being this way.
    Last edited by SifuAbel; 11-12-2003 at 12:35 PM.

My basic problem with most of these types of arguments is what is "kung fu fighting" supposed to look like? All too often, I get the feeling, sometimes it is even spelled out, that "kung fu fighting" should look like a shaw brothers film. I had a training brother who really thought those movies were REAL... but of course that's just a movie and no more real than Jet Li's wire stunts are..

Anyone ever see anything even resembling a "fight" in which fists weren't balled up and some clubbing and smacking took place? Or where knee or a leg wasn't lashed out? Kick - boxing is a real generic kind of name, yeah, we are punching and we are kicking, other than that, what does it really mean?
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

(In my best Jack Nicholson voice)

I've been saying that for frikkin years!!!!

If there is anything your CMA/Kung Fu should be teaching you it is basic footwork and how to punch and kick. IMO. Some would extend that ****her and say you should know how to throw or fight on the ground.

edit: just had to add... HAHA, fa_jing just got caught saying ****(oops, f4rt)... thank you, that is all

You didn't answer my question, What complex crap?
    You know... REAL Kung Fu

As per the term,

This is exactly my point, people refer to this as degrading to kickboxing when in fact its degraded to a school yard brawl not worthy of the kickboxing monicker.
    You are misunderstanding this term then. The people that seriously say "degrading to kickboxing" are ignorant people. They are not commenting on the sloppiness of someone, they are commenting that someone does not look like they are using REAL Kung Fu.

The way Jet Li fights in movies = REAL Kung Fu
    Last edited by truewrestler; 11-12-2003 at 01:12 PM.

Am I misunderstaning it? No.

I understand how its being used and by whom.

Is it a correct usage? No. What they refer to and what it is are very different.

And what is real kung fu?

Jet Li sans the wire work? Partially. Most could do well to learn a little more defense. It doesn't have to be as pretty. Then again, what jet li does mostly is kicking and punching too. It may be a bit more creative than you are used to.

Perhaps people should stop looking away or rolling their eyes when they see the wire work, they tend to miss a good deal of the basic stuff. People refer to the wire work almost 100% of the time, but its only 20% of the action(at least in his later films).

In general I get tired of people whom have no CMA experience at all telling ME what real kung fu is.(Not a person jibe, just a rant)
    Last edited by SifuAbel; 11-12-2003 at 01:32 PM.

" You know... REAL Kung Fu "

Yes , I know real kung fu. But I don't think you do.