Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Digital Video

Digital Video

Anyone know where I can get software to view and edit digital video coming from my x10 cameras into my computer via USB?

www.x10.com

.....but that costs money!

Thanks!

strike!

search on shareware programs, you might find cracked ones
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

I use Ulead Video Studio 6 to edit video. You should be able to stream it in via USB and record it with the program, then edit it.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

I use the same soft as MK.

Forget the free or cheap editing softs, they tend to be rather bad.

While many got the same or similar features it will take you about 5-times as long to get the job done.

Didn't the X10 Software come with driver and basic editing Software?

No.

Sold seperate.

Dont have the camera driver either.

strike!

usb= *blech quality*

spend a little, get a dv i/o cable and a firewire ieee1394 card.
    maybe even upgrade your graphics card?

you will be continually disappointed with the quality of usb dv captures.

but, if you must, you can always push the file in with the software the camera came with and if you are running xp you can use windows movie maker to edit all your stuff.

if you are running another os you will need movie maker 1, if you have xp mm2 is preferred.

cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Question

Is windows movie maker any good?
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

Just trying to convert my current video system to digital.

The dojo is wired.

Id like a video digital camera for christmas.

strike!

Originally posted by Kung Lek
    you will be continually disappointed with the quality of usb dv captures.
    How would that be??

The ONLY difference between USB 1.0 & Firewire is the transferspeed, USB 2.0 tends to be about the same speed as Firewire.
    Mya dvise would be to get a Firewire & USB 2,0 card installed, most pc's that are on the market still use USB 1.0.
    USB 1.0 & USB 2.0 are compatible but will run at the lower transfer-speeds.

Said that the only reason why I would choose Firewire is because it is older and been debugged more.

Regardless of what transfer speed you use the quality should be the same.

Either way he does not have the driver software for the camera that will decode the signal from the camera, there is a chance that a generic driver might work and in this case he most likely will see a quality loss.

Good capturing Software allows you to set a lot of parameters that will affect the quality of the DV capture.

Whoa.

Figured it out I think.

Using Ulead 7.0 to view video now.

Neatness.

Last edited by yenhoi; 11-12-2003 at 04:59 PM.
    strike!

Looks like you will also need XRay Vision, it is available at the bottom of the page(same one that has the drivers on).

If the Driver and that software don't work, I would suggest you call their tech centre.

Wow.

Gimme some time and Ill get some vids up..

strike!

Regardless of what transfer speed you use the quality should be the same.
    They are not

seriously, firewire ensures you get all the data off your digital8, dv, or other tape. usb simply turns out lesser quality video captures by comparison.

try it, I have.

cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.

KL.

USB and FIREWIRE are transfer protocols that have NOTHING to do with image quality.

What is the difference is that the modern Cameras using FIREWIRE got better imaging encryption build-in than the older USB equipped ones.

But if you transfer an image from a poor Camera it will be a poor image regardless if you use USB or FIREWIRE.

What REALLY effects the image quality is the hardware to record/encrypt it and the decrypting software after the download, best results are if they are matched aka from same supplier/manufacturer..

Don't confuse transfer protocols with image encryption.

The encoding may it be MPEG-1 (VCD quality) or MPEG-2 (DVD quality) is based on rather loose guidelines (MPEG-standard) quality of imaging will depend on how the standard is applied.
    MPEG standard is FREE, but the implementation usually is copyrighted.

I used to do that type of programming for a short time for a Company that created Chips for Cameras and similar equipment.

USB 2.0 vs FIREWIRE
    Last edited by T'ai Ji Monkey; 11-12-2003 at 06:36 PM.

TJM-

-No- LOL

transger protocol or not, usb blows, dv i/o over firewire rocks.

lemme tell ya why.

I have a dvtcr140 sony camera with dv i/o and usb streaming.

usb blows and the dv i/o over firewire totally rocks and a huge difference is totally seeable.

now, I have seen it with my own eyes and I am here to say, usb transfer protocol somehow degrades the video quality. I don't know how and I don't care about articles selling one technology over another.

I have seen it, done it and I know what the heck I'm looking at when I 'm looking at it. I disagree that usb is not at fault in poor quality. It totally sucks

thanks you
    good night
    cheersand
    Kung Fu is good for you.