Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Digital Video

Kung Lek is correct

USB not only degrades the quality, but it drops a lot frames as well.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Guys last post on this topic.

IF USB lost data or had such a signal reduction than WHY in the world is it used as the most widely used Data transfer standard in the world and WHY do major corps rely on it for backups.

If what you guys say is correct my programs would receive less Data from the Database than it was send, which is NOT true.

I agree that some encoders/decoders for USB transfer are sub-standard, main reason is because people use generic drivers.

There is also a BIG difference between USB 1.1 & USB 2.0, I would think that you might still be using 1.1 not 2.0.

Like with so many disucssions here people can't see what the real problem is and than pound away on 1 point and insist that it is the right one.

BTW, don't invest too muhc money into Firewire, it will soon be replaced by a better standard.

Have a nice day.
    Last edited by T'ai Ji Monkey; 11-13-2003 at 01:55 PM.

FYI.

Here is some info about Digital Cameras BOTH Video & Still.

1.) Most of those devices still use the USB 1.1 standard.
    You need a USB2.0 device(with encoder), USB 2.0 Cable, USB 2.0 Card & USB 2.0 compatible decoders to take advantage of USB 2.0 quality.
    2.) Most of them are loaded with outdated firmware, you should get new one loaded every 6 month or so. Improvements of up to 40% can be achieved.
    3.) Generic Drivers like in Wondows XP suck big time, as there is 1 driver for multiple cameras and they will run on the older standards and encryption method and thus will NOT support higher quality of newer models.
    Get a specific driver for your model/series.

Initially digital Cameras are usually delivered with buggy code(firmware) and the encoding/decoding has not been finetuned yet, especially true when using new technology or hardware.
    Makers rely on feedback from 1st generation customers to debug.
    Usually models that are sold after 6 months got better firmware installed and thus less bugs and better quality.

This is an ongoing process and improvements will be done all the time.

This was a free infomercial.

P.S.: I used to work for Hitachi at one stage and we wrote the software for MOST digital cameras out there.
    Sony always was problematic.

well, usb is a way of transferring data in ascii or even binary, the issue seems to be in how it streams...which is not well and indeed frames are dropped, artfiacting occurs etc.

a still image i have no issue with when it comes to using usb.

but really, it (usb) truly blows for capturing movies off tape.

I don't think ieee is really going anywhere just yet, it's still pretty good tech.

cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Originally posted by Kung Lek
    I don't think ieee is really going anywhere just yet, it's still pretty good tech.
    It is good tech, but the manufacturers are not too fond of it.

1.) It used to be the fastest, USB 2.0 is a tad faster(still not widely used).
    2.) Advantage is that Ieee can carry power to a pheriperal device, many don't as the device uses a smaller plug and thus still relies on external power like a USB device.
    3.) Plugging many Ieee devices into a notebook and draining power from it's power-source is not the thing I would like to do.
    4.) Not sure how Apple will further develop the Ieee standard in the future or if they will adopt USB 2.0 or similar tech.

I think it will depend which standard gets more utilised by the manufacturers, USB 2.0 got of to a slow start so far.