Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Does size matter?

blur Guest
    Sihing73,

You posted some great ideas and I agree with what you are saying. I think we agree more than you think.

Everything you have stated is correct. What makes someone a better fighter is a deeper understanding of their art, the intelligence to use it wisely, and the confidence in the technique.

IMHO, this really doesn't depend on the art but the person. An experienced karateka will not block force with force although the art contains many blocks that do. Likewise, an idiot who studies wing chun or judo will benefit from the advantages these arts provide.

There's my two cents... now back to work.

Monkey Guest
    O.K.
    Here is the answer from a short, 5'6", martial artist( hsing-i for over 20 years )
    1. size makes a difference in martial sports.
    2. size makes no difference in self defense.
    Why ?
    In a long drawn out martial sport the smaller person will not be able to take the punishment that a larger opponent can give him over the course of the match. The smaller opponent will not be able to use techniques that would give him the ability to hurt is opponent quickly, ie eye jabs.
    In a self defense situation you hurt your opponent quickly and violently and the fight should be over within a few seconds. The smaller person can use his attributes like superior quickness to end the fight.

blur Guest
    I read my post above and I meant to say an idiot will not benefit...

Tyger Guest
    I think Monkey hit the nail on the head in his last post. If the fight is only a few seconds, it's going to come down to WHO HITS, not who has the potential to hit harder. That's a bit simplified, but I believe it's true.

blur Guest
    Monkey, I agree wholeheartedly.

Sihing73 Guest
    Blur,

No problem I like your posts. Also, I think an Idiot can also beneift from Wing Chun. I know I have [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I am reminded of an old story I once heard.

There were two masters training one a hard stylists the other a soft stylist. The hard stylists was very proud of his side kick. With it he could break bricks and kick holes in walls. He asked the soft stylists how he would defend against such power. The soft stylist told him to attack. When the side kick came the soft stylists simply shifted and was no longer there to be hit.

Size can be important but only if the two are equally matched otherwise. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Peace,

Dave

JKDVIGILANTE Guest
    To me, size doesn't mean jack-squat! The very reason I started learning how to fight was to defend myself from large men who liked to pick on little guys, like me. They were f______ cowards! , and, once I realized this fact, I trained my body to be as strong as any 180-190lb man. I also got involved in TKD and JKD. It's not your 'style' that wins fights, it's your ability to adapt to the situation. I don't do anything too 'fancy'; don't need to. What matters is : WHO WINS---THAT'S ALL! I will state, however, that if it is smarter for me to run, I will. I treat every fight like my life is at stake, I'm going to win--period. I am 6'0,140lbs and have made fools out of many 180to 200lb+ men. So, if your small---just get meaner!

------------------

J.L.B.

IronBuddha Guest
    the only thing that matter is who has the stronger survival instinct.
    in WWII many boats were sunk by the nazi u boats. N Atlantic waters will kill a man rather quickly. the highest percentage of survivors were over the age of 30 -- well past their prime. these men were able to float in the freezing sea, injured, for days at a time, watching the younger men slide under the water. it wasn't because of their size or physical conditioning.

------------------
    'instead of resting your legs, you should be standing up. instead of folding your hands you should be giving them out. instead of turning your back, you should be showing your face. why do you walk away?' --.hwm.

JKDVIGILANTE Guest
    Iron Buddah understands what it's about. He gave an excellent example of 'will to survive'. Anybody can defeat anybody; a lot of people don't realize how powerful their brain is! Condition your thinking, then your body---in that order. Avoid getting hurt or killed----BUT DON'T BACK-DOWN FROM ANYONE. In other words: If it's just a fist-fight(no life or death situation), beat the tar out of the cowardly 'big-man'! Show him what it's like to be 'small'! If I sound bitter, it's because I am. Even at age 34, I'm still faced with this childish bullsh-t! If the big guys wanna fight, then fight! kick their fu----- as-!!!!

------------------

J.L.B.

blur Guest
    I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. I agree with the will to survive having alot to do with victory but I do not equate this with brutality.

Being a ferocious fighter doesn't mean going berserk on somebody. In fact, I believe that is detrimental to a person of a smaller frame. Calmness, intelligence, and awareness with the determination to survive is what allowed those sailors to survive.

That is what I believe makes a better fighter. Not size nor art.

JKDVIGILANTE Guest
    The stronger your will to survive, the harder you are going to fight someone who is trying to hurt you.

------------------

J.L.B.

Ever see a dog fight a raccoon?

They know it's for keeps. It looks like they go berserk, but they have so much adrenaline and lack of habitions by a higher mammilian mind they see reality slower giving them the ability to simply put all of their reflexes, mind, and heart into it. Amazing spectical, any fight between non-humans.

You can learn a lot watching our brother animals.

------------------
    Allen Carpenter

simple_minded Guest
    someone might have mentioned it, I didn't read last few msg's.
    tip on beating bigger opponents:
    make sure you use the move they wouldn't know and is not expected.
    example would be:
    throw strong looking punch half way to their face to leave their low part open, then give a quick front kick to the groin with the front leg

JWTAYLOR Guest
    Why not just go ahead and hit them in the face and kick them in the groin?

JWT

Isaac1719 Guest
    A couple of factors of any fight (especially one envolving a smaller guy against a larger opponent)are mental preperation, and the element of suprise. Let's try a scenario real quick. Let's say that a large guy spots a smaller guy and thinking he is an easy target decides to engage him. You may be thinking that the person engaging will be the most mentally prepared for the encounter but you could be mistaken. The larger guy engages the smaller guy but is caught off gaurd by a very well planned and executed defense and counter attack from the smaller guy. The smaller guy then has the advantage because he has unbalanced his opponent. The element of suprise does not necessarily mean sneaking up on your opponent and attacking. Sometimes the appearence of weekness can be an asset because it does not let your attacker to accuratly (size you up) making it difficult for him to prepare himself mentaly and physically. It is however important to not give him time to recover. Strike hard and quick.