Thread: Jow Ga

Jow Ga

I have an IKF mag from the '80s that has an article about Jow Ga. Scott Wong wrote it and he is shown in a Japanese gi and reference to a black belt system. What is the history behind that?

Jow Ga guys wore Gi's - I think becvause they were cheap, and so they could do full contact Karate tournaments. No relation to SD.

Check sites on Kng Fu styles in the Netherlands - a llot of Sino and Indo-Sino styles wear gi's because the goofs who ran the licensing for martial arts in Holland back n the 50's & 60's are all JMA types - which forced some styles to adopt Japanese words, clothes, etc, in order to be 'approved' by the government.

Pretty f@cked up, but if there is on country I wouldn't care to p!ss off the JMA types, its Holland. A country full of b@d @ass Kyokushinkai and Judo players...
    "Never interrupt your enemy when they are making a mistake."
    --- Napoleon

"MonkeySlap is a brutal b@stard." -- SevenStar
    "Forgive them Lord, they know not what MS2 can do." -- MasterKiller
    "You're not gonna win a debate (or a fight) with MST. Resistance is futile." - Seven Star

Check the Southern Forum. There are some Jow Ga guys in there that can answer your questions.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

I've never seen any old pics of our guys wearin Gis. Take that for what you will.
    I Love It When They Call Me Pork Chop-pa

Well I have never seen any pics of people wearing gi's, but sifu told me some stories of back in the day when Master Chin was alive, and how they went to compete "Karate" Tournaments, so maybe they had to wear them to compete? I dunno...will have to ask Sifu a lil more about this one!!
    The sign over the toilet says:
    "Do NOT eat the big white mints!"

for the record, in this case, just repeating something I was told.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when they are making a mistake."
    --- Napoleon

"MonkeySlap is a brutal b@stard." -- SevenStar
    "Forgive them Lord, they know not what MS2 can do." -- MasterKiller
    "You're not gonna win a debate (or a fight) with MST. Resistance is futile." - Seven Star

i havent seen any gi pics, but i know some guys did compete in karate tournies back in the day. so not impossible that they had to wear gis for that. i dunno, no black blet system i have seen anywhere

but let me state - NO FAKE KARATE HERE...

anywho, who was scott wong's instructor?

maybe Richard Chin in NY wears gis? i saw an article and it seemed to be the case, along with a black belt system.(it was online somewhere, ill try to find it but i doubt ill be able to)

peace

I've never saw a Jow Ga practicioner wear a gi.

but to enter a tournament, I could see it.
    Fairfax Jiu-Jitsu

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, Capoeira & Mixed Martial Arts

Originally posted by Jow Ga Fist
    Is this the article you're referring too?

I haven't seen any old pics in my school with GI's...I'll talk to my Sifu tonight and ask him if he knows anything about it.

From reading this article, it seems like Scott Wong is wearing a GI for his own reasons, not because Jow Ga.
    No it is not the same article. The one I read had everyone wearing a black gi and Scott Wong's belt was worn as if it was old. It was about how the style started.Had an old mag lying around and was reading about another article when I noticed the Jow Ga and saw that some on here did it.

Well if you have the IKF magazine, could you post what year and month?
    The sign over the toilet says:
    "Do NOT eat the big white mints!"