Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sparing

Jaguar Wong Guest
    Robin:
    Thanks, it's good to be back [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

nospam:
    I do agree with what you're saying, but I guess I'm more in the middle road of this mindset. I do agree that you should really take sparring seriously, especially when using it as a learning experience (as opposed to a good workout). I also feel that if you are too serious about it then it can become too competitive and it switches from learning from each other to competing (I do realize that this is not always the case, but it is a very possible outcome).

If you have fun sparring every once and a while, it really helps the body to releax and let some real techniques flow. I guess what I'm saying is that when you're training, and learning with your sparring, you should take it seriously, and treat it like a serious situation, but sometimes you can be a little more relaxed about it, and let the lessons soak in a little differently. I don't know if that makes any sense, but hey, it sounds good in my head [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

BTW Robin, I'll get the sparring back soon. I've been breakin' through the fear of all the new guys, and I'm bringin' the older guys back into it. soon...

------------------
    Jaguar Wong
    www.superaction.com

nospam Guest
    Hey Jag,

Great points and I agree with you. The way I see it, once you pose-off with your opponent/partner, all the fun and games is gone. It's not that I think you can't laugh and have fun, guess it is a segmented thing. I'll often make light of someone's moves or joice of technique and we all laugh. That's fun.

But I make sure the smile is gone prior to re-initializing or continuing with the lesson/practise. But even on top of that, there is a very serious overtone, and in my opinion there has to be!

There are less serious or aggressive sparring exercises that teach softer movement and continuation of movement. Here, concentration would be enough..and it would be a better situation for fun.

But no matter what, I still have to wonder at how useful or 'real' some of the stuff that is practised out there continuously in-kwoon, is? I can only comment on what I have seen or done. And I'll be the first to admit that I prolly hold a bias on this subject because of my system and how we do thangs. I do have strong judgements when it comes to martial arts. I'm sure we all do.

Bring back the raised platform challenge matches, I say! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Golden Child Guest
    Jwt, How's it going? I trained under Kern from 97 up until Sep 98. Then I had to move to Anchorage where I was extremely lucky to stumble upon the Wu Tang Lineage. I had a great time at Kern's school and grew I alot. I still have much love for Kenpo and plan to eventually learn more.

As for our sparring sessions, our were as intense as you described. In fact, after visiting quite a few schools in the San Antonio area, I chose that school specifically because it was HARDCORE training/sparring. I think your right about Texas Kenpo it is hardcore. I've walked out of those sessions with bruises more times than I care to count. However, it undoubtedly forced me to grow, whatever technique I used the preceding week wouldn't work the following week. So every week I was experimenting with a different aspect of Kenpo. I guess I better stop rambling but I miss it.

Take Care JWT and if you happen to run into Mr. Kern please tell him that Daniel said hello.

Much Love,

Golden Child Guest
    Nospam, I dig what your saying but I kinda get the impression that maybe you took it out of context.

Sparring is fun, but I've never seen anyone smiling or joking while they're catching jabs and hooks with their grill. However, afterwards your happy because you put it on the line.

During sparring my heart is light and happy, I enjoy it but my mind or intent is strong and serious. It is during those sessions that I find peace or sometimes frustration.

Much Love,

nospam Guest
    You're correct.

I pasted it right out of context [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Robinf Guest
    nospam,
    you're no fun [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Just joshin'.

To explain about my comment at the end of my post. When I said, it was all in "fun", I meant that students should realize that sparring in class is nothing personal--if you get hit it's not because your opponent has something against you, it's simply because you're sparring. See, that is a huge problem among beginners. They take getting hit personally rather than understanding that if they're getting hit then perhaps they shouldn't be standing there. I teach, and I spend a lot of time cooling people off because they take it so personally that some people actually try to hurt each other. We'd rather not have people walking around with black eyes and broken bones in our school. Just a personal preference.

Sparring is not a game. It is a serious training tool. But, in the defense of fun, try having fun with it sometimes. I have found that fun lends to creativity and experimentation. I never would have gotten my spin side to work without playing a little.

------------------
    Surrender yourself to nature, and be all that you are.

Kyoshu Guest
    Luv sparring

Kyoshu

Tiny Dragon Guest
    Easy there JWTAYLOR! Some of us do live in Cali... and train just as hard as 'ya'll'... let's not get regional... it's all up to the masters who judge the tournaments... sometimes it isn't about how hard one hits, but how accurately... that is unless one competes in open tournaments where whoop'n your opponent is the fun and highlight of the day.
    Sparring is fun, and very helpful in training...but it is important that a martial artist not forget the training aspect of sparring lest they turn martial arts into a sport (which is sadly what has happened to TKD... and I do practice this art!) [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

HuangKaiVun Guest
    People used to - and still do - bounce off my punches and kicks.

The experience of futility in sparring has - and continues - to motivate me to perfect my "illegal hits" (the foundation of kung fu).

A format in which a fully exerted biu jee cannot be exerted is simply a no-win situation for me.

kungfukid Guest
    Hi, my name is Stephen.
    I have to agree with nospam on this question.
    In my experience, sparring class was nothing
    more than a place for inflated egos to become
    even more inflated, or deflated egos to implode.

Sparring should be a tool for learning, not a
    tool to give people a false sense of security.

Here something for all of us to contemplate.
    Most of what happens in a lot of sparring classes in accidental. Specifically, when two people match up to spar, what we see is
    a lot of clashing that looks akin to a cock fight. whatever blows are landed, are done so by pure accident. How do I know? Ask the practioner to repeat what he or she did, or even tell you what they did. In my experience, they can't do either. Sparring class should be like a laboratory where we
    experiement with our techniques to see how they can or cannot be applied. This not only requires physical fighting between students
    but an awareness and communication between the participants. each person must be aware of what they are doing while they are doing it. When they are finished each student should explain to the other how they were sucessful.

this also means that every person who spars should have a goal in mind of what they want to practice when sparring. Just like a basketball player goes to practice and uses some of the time to work on their par of a play or a particular shot or maneuver, a karate or kungfu practioner should chose a technique or principle to work on during sparring. One time they may work on evasion, then next jamming, the next time a piece from a form. the bad thing to do is spar for the sake of sparring. your time would be better spent playing tag.

I try and mix up sparring. since it is a training drill and not a cometition, we spar many different ways. Gloves/no gloves, offence/defence, full out, light, grappling, boxing, enviromental, 2-on-1, the whole class against one, knife (magic markers), stick, etc. My teacher calls me the administrator, because I handle school challenges, students with attitudes, etc. When I spar with beginners I basically let them beat on me trying to build their confidence. I might throw slow basics to teach them defense (keep your hands up, dont just stand there) but its always light (on my part) at first.

shawn28 Guest
    Me personally I know it sounds sick
    but only during sparring I like to get
    hit because then it shows me what I'm
    doing wrong. To me sparring and trying
    to use the techniques at a fast pace
    is the only way to go..I mean yes
    trying at a slow pace but get in there
    and tangle up to see if your technique
    is going to work because if you dont
    and you get out there on the streets
    your probably going to be in alot of trouble.
    That is just my opinion....

SM