Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: See MonkeySlap Too Get Beat Up

BJ,

I don't consider myself a silat guy, thats like a lifestyle
    In what ways do you mean a lifestyle? Just curious.
    Monkey vs. Robot

Stranger,

Nothing serious, its just that I consider it a pretty indepth concept of fighting, a lot of layers to that specific onion and I feel on a personal level that I would do those layers a diservice to tickle my ego and say I am a some sort of dedicated silat player when I have trained with, been humbled by and seen real deal, born and raised, malay teachers who live within that art and its culture.

To compare me to them just because I practice some malay silat would be laughable. I consider myself a mutt if anything and I like it that way.

Cheers
    Regards

malay teachers who live within that art and its culture
    and its culture

Are you refering to Islam when you say this?
    Last edited by Stranger; 11-15-2003 at 05:23 PM.
    Monkey vs. Robot

Rubthebuddha, Empty Your Cup. T.

seems like blackjack's metaphorical cup is empty. nice attitude.

as far as terms go, i like being categorized as a "player" of a martial art. a person can play basketball, baseball and tennis in the same way a person can "play" several martial arts. for me, it's wing tsun, muay thai and a start in escrima. wt is my dominant flavor, but i'm not good enough at it yet to call myself a proper practitioner. i'm just a player -- at least in this sense.

so black jack, i'd call you a silat player.
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA

Ahhhh thanks

Stranger- no not religon. Though one could consider that a part of its culture without blinking twice. I mean the whole bait and tackle that is involved when you meet those kinds of players that not only practice a specific martial system since they were kids but have grown up in that area of the world and the "taste" they bring with them to the table because of that experiance.

A taste IMO that you could not get from someone who has not really lived it.
    Regards