Thread: what would you do

Ralph Guest

what would you do

You all say that when it comes to a real fight, you first of all try to avoid an actual fight by running away. I think that is a good thing to do.
    But what if you see someone else get beaten up. What do you do then? I mean, you can avoid a fight by walking away. Or would you help the victim? Even if there are more than one attackers, say 4 or 5?
    I'm asking this question because it's a recent topic of discussion in our country. It seems that more and more people just walk by if they see something like this happen on the streets and I was just wondering about your opinions about this.

Tyger Guest
    I think it really depends on what you think you can do. If it's someone with a gun you might be better off calling the police. If it's four or five guys the same might apply.

If you are confident that you can help someone by shouting or offering physical assistance then I think you are obligated to do so. If the best you can hope to do is get killed or end up in the hospital, then you really aren't doing anyone any good. You are morally obligated to do what you can to help but not if the expence to yourself is greater to than that to the victim. Some people live by a higher moral code, however, and feel that the safety of a stranger is worth more than their own.

The most important thing is to try to understand the situation as completely as you can as fast as you can. If you stumble upon a person who is just getting "roughed up" you might make it worse by rushing in and trying to save him. For all you know the guy getting pummeled might have pulled a knife on the other guy and the guy with the upper hand is just defending himself. Shouting and drawing attention to yourself is more likely to help the sitation than charging in with fists of furry. If you feel that physical assistance would be best, at least make sure you have an avenue of escape if you suddenly discover that you are not as capable as you first thought.

My 2 cents.

------------------
    If you want to be great, you have to stop wanting and simply be.

[This message has been edited by Tyger (edited 03-20-2000).]

Robinf Guest
    Rushing in to a situation like that is a bad idea. Run to a phone and dial up the police (or 911 for those in the States).

For something more immediate, if you don't think you can find a phone, may throwing rocks at the pack and yelling "fire! fire!" (to get other people's attention) might work. Never tried it, so I do NOT recommend it. But, do keep yourself away from the fight.

Ford Prefect Guest
    Great advice, Robin.

Very Ignorant Mantis Guest
    The problem is that you never REALLY know what's going on, so how do you know who is the protagonist and who is the antogonist? Or what is going on in the situation that is not right in front of you? Or the history of the last .5 hour for everybody involved.

Law enforcement officers are trained to ascertain all of the relevant information and use that information to defuse the situation and acheive enforcement and safety for all parties as quickly as possible. So, best bet is to (as already suggested) help them receive "legal guidance".

Of course, if it is obvious that seconds count, get the legal wheels in motion and THEN do what you can as a short term solution. But this is a rare case, like maybe 3 large young men beating an 80 year old woman and pulling off her jewelry in front of you. But you wouldn't do her any good if you did not arrange legal (medical) help and then you BOTH were being beaten... Just remember you only get one life and this isn't the movies.

Humbly / IM

------------------

Big Dog Guest
    Depends who I am with. If alone, I concur with calling for help. But the asskicking is a good one, I may, may, act first with a shout or something. My experience in security has shown me that often, a troublesome crowd will break up if they realize someone else has taken notice.

I am a big enough guy who wears a serious, always in a bad mood, look and most people are intimidated at first, until they get to know me.

If I were with my wife, I'd have to simply call the police, because the rest of my effort would be spent holding her back! She's a sucker for the underdog, and that's why she married me! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Bob

mad taoist Guest
    I daresay i'd interfere to help ... but then I've realized, what if the person is getting what is coming to them -- what then ?

I'm the sort of person who'd jump to help, like I've offered ppl to use my phone, etc. I've chased ppl doing certain things before, etc.

If it were a small or obviously weaker person, I'd help out. I couldnt bear the guilt of just watching or walking away.

'If we do not go within, we go without'.

soy Guest
    i'd pull out my cell phone and call the cops.