Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Xiaolin Showdown

Xiaolin Showdown

So what do you all think of the new WB cartoon Xiaolin Showdown?

I saw the first episode with my kid. She wasn't impressed (of course, she's met real Shaolin monks, so cartoon ones don't work for her as well ) I thought it had potential, but it was largely derivative. I wonder if it will have the impact of Jackie Chan Adventures (which has been kind of lacking, the last time we checked in on it) and it's not nearly has progressive as Samurai Jack (although that's not really for young kids, nor is it network.)

It really bothers me that they spelled it Xiaolin - like it's not hard enough already spelling Chinese words.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I'll have to check it out... WB is one of the 4 channels I do get.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

"The X makes it sound cool!" -- Bender

I wanna know why it's not Xiaolin Xiodaon.
    Cut the tiny testicles off of both of these rich, out-of-touch sumbiches, crush kill and destroy the Electoral College, wipe clean from the Earth the stain of our corrupt politicians, and elect me as the new president. --Vash

It is no doubt spelled shaolin for copyright reasons.

1 - To possibly avoid copyright disputes with the owners of the name Shaolin (there have been threads about this copyright and its merit in the past.)

2 - To make Xiaolin easy to copyright and hence merchandise.

And X is the coolest letter, as stated above.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

copyright, schmopyright

That will be interesting to see what happens with the copyright. Will we have to go back an change all the titles of old movies? 36 Chambers of Xiaolin? Xiaolin Executioner? The Xiaolin Temple?

X is the coolest letter though, I'll grant you that. O is the most profound, but X is the coolest.

XOXO

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Notice how the guy from Texas always sports the cowboy hat and is from a ranch?

And a dragon named "Dojo". I thought they had cultural advisors to take care of these slip ups.
    CPA's current P4P List:
    -Bas Rutten
    -Captain Jack Sparrow
    -Cindy Lauper
    -Lester Moonvest

CPA, you don't wear a cowboy hat... what the hell is wrong with you?

You are a Texan aren't you..

I'm still pizzed you guys let someone shoot JFK.

RIP, 40 years.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

NP, If we ship Bush off to Boston, you think someone would pop him to even things up?
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

NP is Right.

I was confused @ the time of my last post. I was through into some sort of withdrawl side-effect from not having my Cowboy hat. I would go as far as to say some of my posts have been "Liberal" . It was at the cleaners @ the time along with my snake skin boots. My horse was also being re-shoed at the time, which may have contributed to my mixed-up mindstate.

I swear upon the Republican Party that it will never happen again

Our punishment for killing JFK is Bush killing our chances of proving that we're more than a bunch of country folk who lives on ranches and are dangerously patriotic...

Oh well, you win some you lose some
    Last edited by CaptinPickAxe; 11-21-2003 at 07:12 PM.
    CPA's current P4P List:
    -Bas Rutten
    -Captain Jack Sparrow
    -Cindy Lauper
    -Lester Moonvest

wow...lol

they certainly got it a touch crossed in the whole cultural wires department.

pokimonks is what they should have called it
    Kung Fu is good for you.

the cowboy

Ironically the cowboy won the first xiaolin showdown in the premiere episode, using what I would call "romanticised taiji" concepts.

Is Dojo a better name than Mushu? Certainly better than Puff.

I've missed the successive episodes. Anyone else catch them?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I want to know why anime (and quasi-anime) cartoonists are so obsessed with cowboys.
    Cut the tiny testicles off of both of these rich, out-of-touch sumbiches, crush kill and destroy the Electoral College, wipe clean from the Earth the stain of our corrupt politicians, and elect me as the new president. --Vash

Originally posted by Tak
    I want to know why anime (and quasi-anime) cartoonists are so obsessed with cowboys.
    Don't know, personafication of an American?

Check out the new avi.
    practice wu de

I caugh tsome of the xioalin. it was stupid. I can't beleive they had a ninja. good to know we haven't come anywhere in the last 20 years. These piece of crap cartoons remind me f the episode of the Simpsons where homer does the voice for "Poochy" a stupid skateboarding dog who is suppsed to appeal to kids, but really bores the **** out of them. He does a huge air on his skateboard and then slam dunks a basketball at the top of the ramp. You can't have a dog wearing sunglasses. It's just not allowed.
    I do not ever see Sifu do anything that could be construed as a hula dancer- hasayfu

I saw one episode the other day. What the hell has happened to American cartoons?

Do they think all there is to jpn style is to make the "blast lines" effect?
    -------------------------------------------
    "It is a good thing to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this."
    - Yamamoto Tsunetomo, from Hagakure