Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What is wrong with Bruce Kumar Frantzis?

Regardless of who or what Kumar is, the book is titled "Combat Secrets..." and doesn't contain any. This criticism is fair, though I liked the book for what it was.

The title may have been selected or changed by the publisher. Their concern is selling copies; truth in advertising is a lower priority.

no offense meant in posting

Hey Guys,

I want to make it clear that I did not and do not mean any disrespect toward Bruce Kumar Frantzis with posting this thread. Mant negative things have been said about him, yet there seems to be no reason why. That is why I wanted to bring this to the foreground: to establish some kind of reasoning for or against such accusations. The above responses are statements that offer possibilities to my initial question, but they are not taken to heart. I wanted a better understanding of some of the opinions that have been offered on this forum about the man.

As I said, I like the material he offers. Unfortunately, I do not have the money to go to a seminar just yet, which puts me in a disadvantageous position if I intend to learn from him (I also believe, as any sane person does, that the best way to learn is from the source). In that respect, I am disappointed that people with ample money have access to teachings that I think everyone should be able to have access to. Kumar seems to present his material in a way that I relate to, but that could be the impression I get, not the reality of his personality.

It seems that some might have conflicts with his character, which can be a problem with any teacher. Of course, one will learn the most from the instructor one can get along with or relate to somehow, but we do not all have that privilege. Perhaps this has played a role in some opinions here.

However, I have a sad feeling deep down that I will never be able to practice with him. He seems very distant as a result of all of his activities in seminars and personal practice that he must be doing on a daily basis (even though it seems he has not time for that). I would like to meet him at least once.

Anyway, thanks for posting all these responses. Please keep responding.

Doug M

Hmmm

Chu Gin Soon, whipped his azz once too, and when he met Cheng Man Ching's top disciple in Canada Dr Chi Chiang, Bruce tried to attack him and DR Chi dealt him two knife handed blows to his stomach in defence, and then walked away from him in disgust.

But the bggest misnomer is why Bruce in his book bragd about his expertise and time spent with Wnag Shu-jin and then fails to tell the truth about it all and how he did what he does with all Chinese Masters before they deal him discouraging blows, by totally disrespecting them.
    Wang Shu Jin kicked him out of his school for his attitude alone I guess, as did all the azz slings Bruce got from the other eminent Masters Bruce tried it on with.

I can verify the Canada, because my Teacher was Dr Chi's student at the time.

Bruce does have some skill, but if his UK students are indicator then he hasn't mastered that much.
    " Don't confuse yourself with someone who has something to say " - The Fall

" I do not like your tone/ It has ephemeral whingeing aspects " - The Fall

" There are twelve people in the world/ The rest are paste " - Mark E Smith

Chu Gin Soon refused to meet him, so Kumar's student Bill Ryan took lessons with Chu Gin Soon.
    The more one sweats in times of peace, the less one bleeds in times of war.

It's pretty easy to talk **** on a forum like this. Go see him for yourself. He'll pound you. Walter has put a belly to belly on the correct here.
    Buddy

LOFL!

I'm not a big BK fan, but erase ten years and two car accidents and he would demolish anyone who posts on this forum. Now? Who knows? I don't speak for him.

Please make a distinction between what he writes and what he can do. People have tried to discredit him for years. Long before most here finished junior high, he was out there exploring these arts. Now, everyone is keen to take a few shots at him(from a distance). Most laughable.....

Oh? the old Mr.X thing? If Robert Smith had a problem with Kumar , he certainly did not have the balls to DO ANYTHING ABOUT it , now did hid he? Smith has the balls to talk abouy " Boxers of the mouth corners " though. Seems to me he was first rate in this regard...

my 2 cents

I have no affiliation now or in the past to BK's organization. I've heard from very good sources that BK challenged most the names you see in the magazines back in his day. Most didnt accept his challenge, alot lost, some won.

As a fighter in his day I don't think anyone can disagree, now his personality and how he treats people that's a different story.

Back I'd be careful repeating what you hear on the internet especially accusations of frauds. However the names listed seems on the money to me however Li I don't know of and BK is real his only fraudelent behavior I'm aware of is his exagerations with his time spent studying with Wang Shu Jin.

I'll get the popcorn...
    I am Jacks Dan Tien

"The last sound he made was like a sparrow whistling"

Details, details, details...

Oh? the old Mr.X thing? If Robert Smith had a problem with Kumar , he certainly did not have the balls to DO ANYTHING ABOUT it , now did hid he? Smith has the balls to talk abouy " Boxers of the mouth corners " though. Seems to me he was first rate in this regard...

As a fighter in his day I don't think anyone can disagree, now his personality and how he treats people that's a different story.

Back I'd be careful repeating what you hear on the internet especially accusations of frauds. However the names listed seems on the money to me however Li I don't know of and BK is real his only fraudelent behavior I'm aware of is his exagerations with his time spent studying with Wang Shu Jin.

Only Yang and Wu stylists have the true Chang San Feng energies and no matter how ultimate Chen style fajin can be, it is dangerous and will harm your health and is against the natural way

Wow, there are quite a few claims here. Can you fellows elaborate on these points a bit more? There are either claims or statements made here that are not quite clear in their present context. I would appreciate it if you could go into more detail about the respective claims with further reasoning.

Thanks,

Doug M

Last edited by backbreaker; 11-24-2003 at 02:15 AM.

Hey guys, play nice. Constructive criticism and opinions on a book is alright, but don't go bashing.
    I have a signature.

application video

Has anyone watched Mr. Frantzis' video on Tai Chi Chuan applications? I find it very informative, and it appears to show him as more than just a man who published books on internal martial arts.

Are there any replies to my request for more explanations for the assertions above? If not, then why are they being made at all?

Doug M

B.K.

I've seen some of his Xingyi and Bagua clips (I saw some Taiji clips too, but I don't know much about Taiji). Now, I've seen good Xingyi and bad Xingyi. His is better than most. Same goes for his Bagua. Now I've never met the guy but neither have a lot of people that downplay his skill. If you've ever read his books or seen his videos it would be plain to see (unless you are just some "weekend warrior") that the guy knows what he is talking about. B.K. Frantzis has just as much to offer the IMA as any other instructor teaching in the US. His problem isn't his skill or his teachings, it's his price tag.

"he waits for his opponents to make the first move,"

and deflects, Yin

"then uses his weight to counter attack."

Yang. What's wrong with the guy using a natural advantage when he's attacking?

"Not what I would call correct Yin and Yang but more like brute force."

Not really, as I have shown there's Yin and Yang present. How is that not "correct"?

Using his weight doesn't have to be brute force. Some force has to be used to subdue an opponent. Simply in the right time, place and amount.

You've wined and dined the correct, taken her home and put the Spandau Ballet on, but you need to change your contacts and check your info next time son, because you've been fukking the incorrect all the time!!