View Poll Results: Should Misfortune be the new Fat Sagat, like there is Fat Majin Boo?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • yeah man

7 43.75%
  • no man

1 6.25%
  • you little wonder little wonder you

1 6.25%
  • boring

7 43.75%
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Muay Thai

chen zhen Guest

some questions on muay thai

since i dont know much about this style, i would like you to give me some answers:

what is the footwork like?

the punches in MT looks alot like western boxing,
    but are they equal to W. boxing, regarding strategies and efficiency?

is the fighting stance i've seen in MT, the one were you have your forearms up in front of your head and all the weight on your back leg, any good? it doesnt seem like you can punch very well from that position?

Grappling-Insanity Guest
    MT's hand techs r pretty much western boxing punches. Or course you would'nt be able to out box a boxer but you'll get good. I dont know much about the footwork. I've never heard of the stance ur talking about...

Stranger Guest
    Traditional MT with the stance you are speaking of has boxing-like hands, but it aint boxing. There is no jab in MT. Whether you throw with the lead or the rear, the left or the right, it is simply a straight punch and meant to inflict damage not set-up or probe.

Traditional MT does not use infighting boxing punches to the same level as boxers (ie. hooks and uppercuts) because there are many other infighting tools for them to choose between.

You are right about the stance not providing as much forward power to the punch. That is the tradeoff you must make when your leg's safety is not guaranteed by the rules of boxing.

Most American schools blend western boxing hands with traditional MT, as all that the former has to offer is not contained in the latter.

I don't get mad.
    I get stabby.

MixedMartialArtist Guest

stance

The stance you're speaking of is the traditional Muay Thai stance. The hands are raised like you described:
    1)to guard the head almost exclusively (as traditional training teaches you to absorb quite a bit of upper-body punishment) and the legs are used to block everything else and

2)to facilitate the elbow that is very common (and effective) in MT. I'm not sure about the weight sharing in the legs, but that sounds right. The front leg is used mostly as a jab-like probe and is quickly drawn up for a block. The back leg is used for those huge roundhouse kicks MT is famous for.
    If I've misspoke or been misinformed, sorry, but this is accurate to my knowledge. I hope this helps.

Khun Kao Charuad Guest
    Muay Thai hand techniques are very similar in many respects to Western boxing, though Muay Thai's boxing would be called more rudimentary. This is due to the rest of the Muay Thai arsenal which can nullify or compensate for Western boxing tools.

For instance, *most* (but by no means all) Thai boxers only use the most basic boxing skills. Jab, Cross, the occassional Hook and Uppercut. Head motion is next to non-existant. But the reason for this is that Thai boxers compensate for this seeming lack with kicks, elbows, and clinching knee strikes.

The footwork is very similar to Western boxing, but is modified to facilitate kicking.

Now the stance. This depends. I use and teach four variations of the Muay Thai stance to facilitate different strategies in the ring. There is a stance to facilitate Boxing, one to facilitate offensive kicking, one for defensive kicking, and another for defensive counter-striking.

The stance that you are referring to falls in the category of a defensive kicking stance. The weight is to the rear with the guard high in a peek-a-boo boxing guard to give the head maximum protection. The bodys weight on the rear leg facilitates easy defense and counter attacking with the lead leg, but it is easy to transition from this stance to another to facilitate a burst of offense. All you have to do is let your weight come forward as put your leg back down after a kick or "leg shield" and step in with your attack. You can easily transition into a boxing or offensive kicking stance this way.

Hope this info helps.

Khun Kao Charuad; SuriyaSak/SitSuriya Muay Thai

straight blast Guest

Muay Thai

I trained Muay Thai for a couple of years & never used that stance. Instead we used more like an upright sprinter's stance as it allows you to attack, retreat, defend etc. eith great ease.
    As to the high guard, the boxing techniques in Muay Thai aren't as good (in my opionion having sparred several boxers) as boxing but the high guard is to protect from the opponent's elbows, which are a very real threat. An elbow to the body doesn't hurt much, but an elbow to the head DOES.
    Hope this helped! :cool:

"Through strength, learn gentleness. Through gentleness, strength will prevail"

Watchman Guest

Khun Kao Charuad

Welcome to the board.

I read your profile and will be the first to say that it will be nice having someone posting with your extensive experience and background in Muay Thai.

Straight Blast,

A big welcome to you as well. Nice to see another Wing Chunner.

chen zhen Guest
    i would also like to ask if the training in MT is relatively safe, or can you get seriously hurt during training?

MixedMartialArtist Guest
    Training in MT is just as dangerous as training in any other style. If you have a competent teacher, and you take training/sparring seriously, training MT is as safe/dangerous as training (for the sake of example) Wing Chun or BJJ.

chen zhen Guest
    Full contact elbow and knee strikes are'nt used during MT sparring, right? Or are they used with protection gear?

Tvebak Guest
    Chen Zhen: where do you want to practice MT?

chen zhen Guest
    preferably somewhere in my neighbourhood (Nørrebro)
    Or what exactly do you mean?

Kim Guest

What is Muay Thai

Can someone give me a summary of what this style is like? I am searching for a new school and there is a Muay Thai school in my area, I just don't know what it is like. I know...go check it out...yes, I will. But, can anyone just tell me a little about it? Thanks.

What is Muay Thai

Can someone give me a summary of what this style is like? I am searching for a new school and there is a Muay Thai school in my area, I just don't know what it is like. I know...go check it out...yes, I will. But, can anyone just tell me a little about it? Thanks.

Never mind, I just read the thread about Questions on Muay Thai and got what I needed. Thanks anyway!