View Poll Results: Should Misfortune be the new Fat Sagat, like there is Fat Majin Boo?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • yeah man

7 43.75%
  • no man

1 6.25%
  • you little wonder little wonder you

1 6.25%
  • boring

7 43.75%
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Muay Thai

WHAT HAPPENED? before the forums changed style there was like 25 posts, and now theres only 11! WHAT'S GOING ON?

Muay Thai

Hi. I am an amateur Muay Thai fighter. Stances in muay thai can vary based on what school/method you are training under and whether it is traditional MT or Americanized MT, etc etc. I'm not sure how to describe the footwork except to say that fluid, conservative movement is emphasized more than specific stances/postures and whatnot. All the muay thai i've come across uses more or less western boxing punching techniques. I'd say that in general, traditional Thailand style MT guys aren't really all that great with boxing though. The greater emphasis is on kicking, kneeing and elbows. Punching is only one part of the equation. In America where boxing is popular and most competitions do not allow elbows, you will find more gyms that emphasize boxing more.

I don't think there's anything exceptionally dangerous about the sparring training in MT. In most gym you will rarely see anyone regularly going full blast with elbows and everything. You don't want to get injured so that you can't fight! In America the full contact sparring will usually be just hands or hands and kicks. Sometimes they'll do light play sparring with everything, just to get the timing. In fact in Thailand I don't even think they usually do any full contact sparring because they fight like twice a month so its not practical to sustain injuries in training. To train the clinch and knees you do the plum clinching drills. The real hard aspect of MT training is the conditioning, which is very tough. You gotta spend endless hours jumping rope, shadowboxing and hitting the bag. To really hone your technique you'll need to have a trainer that'll really drill you hard on the thai pads. If you don't have a trainer who knows how to hold pads, you're not gonna learn good MT technique. In most good MT gyms, if you want to train seriously you will probably be expected to fight at some point in time.

That is odd... Mine was one of the ones that was deleted. Anyway, good posts by both Dragonzrage and Khun. Where I trained, we had three main stances - a boxing stance, a defensive kicking stance and an offensive kicking stance.
    Last edited by SevenStar; 12-20-2001 at 11:12 PM.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

What are the rules in MT competitions?

Making friends with muay thai

Today at work, I was in the gym pounding away on the billy bob torso thingy, and this girl walked in and started stretching and working her abs. before she left, she asked me if I had taken muay thai before. "You are one of the few people I've seen hit that thing without being nauseated by it. They tell me they trained this or that, and when I watch them, I see their hands drop, sloppy kicks, etc. It's disgusting" In my head I'm thinking "WTF???" so I asked if she had trained before. Turns out that she had trained muay thai for three years and was a senior student in her class while she was in Boston. She offered to hold the pads for me and train together sometime. Sounds like I may have a new training partner!
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

xebby is no more, his creator dwells elsewhere

Cool

Thats very cool man
    "If you're havin girl problems i feel bad for you son
    I got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one"

"If you can't respect that your whole perspective is wack
    Maybe you'll love me when i fade to black"

http://www.hotornot.com/r/?eid=OQSURMO&key=FMA

Thumbs up just upgrade your girls tv,maybe by her a truck

and everything will be ok

lol diego i was thinking the same thing. How happy will the misses be when she finds out you have a hot new workout partner?
    Free thinkers are dangerous!

That's pretty cool. Is she hot???
    I am nothing.

same as Qi Dub:

That's pretty cool. Is she hot???
    "True victory is giving all of yourself without regret"-Ryu (SF Alpha3)

"U don't wait -- if u feel it's going 2 go violent ... strike ... strike often ... strike till he drops ... can always apologize later if u were wrong."-Ginger Fist

yeah, she is. I didn't wanna sound like too much of a pig, so I left that part out. I don't think the missus would mind - She didn't care about the aerobics teacher that was an xfl cheerleader.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

your wife kicks a$$!!!

sevenstar just gets to go around boinking hot girls and still come home and get some!!!

how cool is that???
    where's my beer?

GDA - WTF is with the severed head in your sidebar!? Please explain!
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

Talking gda i didnt know you do bjj

when he said training he didnt mean boinking.

yeah, not boinking...training.

See, that's how stuff gets started. Mrs. WaterDragon knows Mrs. SevenStar. If she were to read that and give Mrs. Sevenstar a call, I'd have to make up something, like Qeysus hacked my account and started this thread.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter