View Poll Results: Should Misfortune be the new Fat Sagat, like there is Fat Majin Boo?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • yeah man

7 43.75%
  • no man

1 6.25%
  • you little wonder little wonder you

1 6.25%
  • boring

7 43.75%
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Muay Thai

Thanks for replying, man. Those sound like something i should have been doing a long time ago. I love any excersise that doesn't cost me money in equipment

It works really well, you will probably be shocked at how hard they are at first. however my legs have gained mass and muscular endurance since I started them. Doing 100 takes me like 3 minutes or something like that so they are quick and easy too!

Do you do them everyday?

Also, i heard about sopme training technique the thia's use where they just bounce on the inside of a car tire..Anyone heard of this?
    Yeah, this one is an easy one. You sit the aforementioned tire flat on the ground, stand on it on your toes, and bounce back and forward between feet. Very easy, works the calf muscles like crazy & doesn't have as much impact as skipping. Your feet should be on the inside edge of the tire too.
    In combat you sink to the level of your training. You do not rise to the occasion

That sounds ****ing fun. I really hate skipping, so knowning an alternative suits me fine. I'm glad i made this thread now, i've learnt a few new techniques.

Thanks everyone.

whether you hate it or not, you need to skip - great cardio and good for footwork.

also, since you like bodyweight exercises, you can do single leg squats. Note that doing these bodyweight exercises will not achieve big legs, like you mentioned earlier. Is that what you're after? If so, you really need to squat -weighted.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

I can't skip man. For some reason, my technique is so ****, that my entire head pounds after about five minutes. It doesn't make me feel good afterwards..
    I'm not looking for big legs, as much as i am looking for big ankles and calves.
    I can't find anything on the internet that deals with making your ankles bigger. I guess it's because there isn't much muscle there.

But yeah, like i say, i just wanna get huge calves.

Also, is there any way to safely squat at home without using a squat rack, and without habing to have the weights on your shoulders?

7*- "whether you hate it or not, you need to skip - great cardio and good for footwork"

Now whose the girl?

SirenOfAcreLane - I do them every other day, give them a day to recoup. I usually do some other body weight type exercises, like tensed leg squats etc...

Getting big legs from doing anything is just a matter of genetics. If I even think of doing any kind of squats or jumping drills, my legs start bulking up like crazy. Contrasted to my upper body where I've got to bust my ass to gain mass.

If you want bulk in your legs, just do leg extensions on any standard weight bench, 90% 1RM, for 5-7 reps. This will work your quads, and give you bulk. ( I'm not sure this would be the best way to get pure kicking power though.)

Other than that, it's all up to your parents how easy you make gains in any area.

red5 - thanks for the info man.

Phrost - Genetics is my problem. I'm a pretty small person, and my legs have always been naturally thin. Martial arts have made them very strong, but they still look ainfully weak at the ankles. I guess i gotta live with it and curse my parents

Originally posted by SirenOfAcreLane
    I can't find anything on the internet that deals with making your ankles bigger. I guess it's because there isn't much muscle there.

But yeah, like i say, i just wanna get huge calves.
    Take a look at your ankle. As you said, it's all bones. You're not going to make it bigger. It's kind of like your wrists... there's muscle insertions down there, but by the time the muscle gets there it's really thin and so even if you induce a lot of hypertrophy it will never get very big.

Calves are another story.

I would wager than Muay Thai guys have developed calves because of bouncing on their toes a lot, jumping rope, etc.

But if you want huge calves it's going to take good genetics and a lot of weight. You can only make a muscle so big from bodyweight stuff alone, after that it takes extra weight. However, the soreness you get from weighted calf training may interfere with your martial arts practice, so... I'd say if you're just starting, don't do any weighted stuff for a few months and see if you naturally develop calves like how you want.

Phrost said:
    If you want bulk in your legs, just do leg extensions on any standard weight bench, 90% 1RM, for 5-7 reps. This will work your quads, and give you bulk. ( I'm not sure this would be the best way to get pure kicking power though.)

Leg extensions blow ass. Please do not do them, especially with a lot of weight. Um, unless you want to shred your knees. If you want mass in your quads, do heavy squats with a barbell. And don't forget to eat. Squatting builds a lot of explosive power, too. Some olympic lifters (yeah the big fat guys) have huge vertical jumps because of their training (granted, they do train explosive lifts in the first place), even despite their size.

Good luck.

Don't forget to squat

IronFist
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Muay Thai

Anybody get the FairtexGear Newsletter? The attached 11/12 press release was interesting.
    I quote from it: "In June 2003, Fairtex Equipment Company Limited terminated the licensing agreement for the US gyms operated by Alex Gong....." ".....Fairtex Muay Thai USA will remain in San Francisco with the grand opening of Fairtex Muay Thai & Fitness gym....."

Anyone know anything about this. I noticed that Bunkerd Fairtex didn't seem to be mentioned anywhere. (?)

I'm curious.

Cody

hmmm, alex gong was killed a few months ago, so that may be why......i dunno

okay, I'll add more of what I read. darned thing won't copy and paste.

"In June 2003, Fairtex Equipment Company Limited terminated the licensing agreement for the U.S. gyms operated by Alex Gong and took legal action against Gong for trademark infringement, dilution and all related claims......" "With the very unfortunate death of Alex Gong, Fairtex Muay Thai USA will remain in San Francisco with the grand opening of Fairtex Muay Thai and Fitness gym in January 2004."

just found it puzzling.

Cody

Muay Thai ?

Anybody know of any good MT sites that have tips on training, conditioning etc or any other info?

I just started training MT about a week ago and I love it. I think it was the new fresh thing I needed to jumpstart my training again. I'm looking for any info on MT anybody has.
    Hung Sing Martial Arts Association
    Self Protection, Self Confidence, Physical Fitness
    www.HungSingChoyLayFut.com

Martial Arts Training and fitness Blog
    http://hungsingmartialarts.blogspot.com/