Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Core of Tai Chi Chuan- Question?

Cool Core of Tai Chi Chuan- Question?

What is the core or central philosophy in the development of Tai Chi? Any Tai chi.

(cryptic) Yin and Yang

Wuji.

Wuji>yin and yang> wuji
    Bless you

$$$$$$$$
    www.systemauk.com
    "Remember it's not a move, it's just a movement" Vasiliev

Blog Entries
    Soft overcomes hard. Hard overcomes soft.

Or "unity" of any opposing forces. Opening and closing. Forward and back. Folding and unfolding. Empty and Full. Substantial and insubstantial, etc.

Wuji is "unity" or "emptiness" or "void." It is not "something" and not "nothing." It existed before "nothing" and "something." When there was "something" and "nothing" then you have Yin and Yang.

Taiji is when Wuji divides into complementary opposites. That is Yin and Yang.

From the 2, Yin and Yang you get the 3 lines which make up the 8 trigrams.

From the 8 trigrams you get the 64 hexagrams.

From the 64 hexagrams you get the "10,000 things."

But even when you have "10,000 things" when they are in opposite complementary you still have Wuji because the opposites cancel each other out.

So from the 1 you get 2, from 3 you get 8, from the 8 you get 64 and from the 64 the 10,000, from the 10, 000 you get the one again.

This is the Taoist theory that underpins almost all of Chinese culture from Martial arts to Psychology.
    Last edited by Fu-Pow; 11-20-2003 at 01:27 PM.

peng jin

dynamic balance with ability to change
    enjoy life

Observe balance at all times and in all things... and 265.
    I am Jacks Dan Tien

"The last sound he made was like a sparrow whistling"

Originally posted by Syd
    Observe balance at all times and in all things... and 265.
    I got the balance part, but what is "265"?

Thanks for your input. I am not looking to debate this topic rather discuss and explore.

From what I have been told and all the research I have done, Tai Chi Chuan is a Taoist martial art. To me that means the martial art of Tai Chi was created based in the philosophy of Taoism or another way of saying it, Taoism applied to martial arts. So with this line of reasoning the core or central philosophy of Tai Chi would be that of Taoism.

It is my understanding “Tao” means “the way” which is referenced to mean,” the natural way”. This was developed by the Taoist desire to reach immortality. They found that going with nature used less energy of the body thus extending their lives. So without going into sermon on Taoism two main attributes arise out of going with nature. 1) Keeping it simple. 2) Going with the flow. To do anything else uses unnecessary energy, thus breaks the tenets of Taoism.

With this in mind I have another question. Does Tai Chi Chuan, as we know it today follow the Tao (natural way)?

I do not think so and here is why. First I’d like to take away “Tai Chi” as this name was not coined until long after it was developed. So “Chuan”, is left which we all know to mean, fist, and boxing or in general- combat. We then need apply Taoist philosophy to “Chuan” or combat. So when we do we also need to apply the two main Taoist attributes of; going with the flow and simple, to the art of combat. Hence the name could be “Taoist Chuan” because this gives the name a more full meaning of what the art is about. “Tai Chi” is only a method used to help find the right balance of Yin and Yang to find the simplest way that goes with the flow.

So with the above paragraph in mind I am going to apply the two main attributes of Taoism to Tai Chi Chuan, as we know it today.

1) Simple- Is Tai Chi Chuan simple? No it is not. It takes years to learn and there are not many that can use it as a combat art. Strike one for Tai Chi Chuan being a Taoist martial art.

2) Going with the flow- Not all styles completely break this one but the so-called original style sure does. That is a knee bent in low stance. I hear a lot about Tai Chi knee. Even when you keep good alignment much leg strength is needed to support the body. So to perform a technique the muscles of the leg called upon to support the body is going with the flow? Sounds like going up stream to me. Going with the flow to me means that the structure of the body is such that a minimum of muscle strength and energy is needed to perform the technique.

This has not been an expert opinion; just me trying to look at Tai Chi Chuan in a different light and then trying to figure out why it is the top martial art fighters in the world do not use it. And please I understand all the ways Tai Chi is a Taoist art I am just looking for holes.

If it's natural, why is it hard to learn? How is this with the Tao?

My understanding of tao is that it not only refers to being purely natural , but also refers to all things and the interconnectedness of all things as one in the universe, being one with the univers in perfect harmony, and in practice using free will according to the requirements of the tao rather than selfish desires . I beleive in a way taiji is actually very simple as there are only two sets and alot of the moves are similar and build off of each other. I have heard in zhan zhuan standing you want solid full legs, and a flexible light body, which is clear yin and yang seperation.My opinion would be that taiji was developed to overcome or perhaps even reverse the laws of up-down, left-right, front-back, yin-yang; maybe even to the point that it is difficult to distingiush the different sides . So you would probably have to know the seperation before you can unify, I don't know. I beleive taoism is taoism because of the princples involved, but not the specific forms the princples take. If another culture had the same princples but they wrote them down differently and called taiji,I ching, and wu hsing by different names, it would not matter, the principles are compatible in the end(if you consider them real,not just charactristics associated in history with taoists). If you're saying because you know french , but cannot understand english, that french is unrelated in the end to english, well that's wrong. Taoism is not taoism because of where it originates or what lineage someone has or any other academic type thinking(although these factors can be indicative of real cultivation methods,they're not why it's real). My guess as to why taiji is difficult to learn is because it contains many small internal movements which are difficult to see and the fajin movements require alot of training which is physically difficult. My guess at what distinguishes taijiquan from other styles would be internal U-turns which redirect the direction of the opponents attack back into him, along with having central equilibrium. Just my guess
    Last edited by backbreaker; 11-21-2003 at 02:08 PM.

In fact I have heard if you don't combine internal with external, hard with soft , fast and slow changes, then it is not totally taiji. Also what about fajin? It would seem to take alot of energy. So I wonder about making progress and progressing in taiji, it seems to require effort , when other Tao school methods don't use as much force, but they use some force sometimes for specific reasons. Taiji as a martial art is probably more physical due to the fact that it's concerned with manipulating the phsical world with a more physical energy. At the higher levels of Taoist qigong and meditation there is less phsical force used and more mental energy. I don't know , it seems a complete system would contain hard and soft, martial arts, healing and meditation and moral cultivation. This is just my understanding and I don't know as much as some others in taiji or qigong.(but I know a little bit at least)

265 was my joke... It's like the joke answer to the riddle of "Why are we here?" The answer is 265 etc.
    I am Jacks Dan Tien

"The last sound he made was like a sparrow whistling"

(Going with the flow to me means that the structure of the body is such that a minimum of muscle strength and energy is needed to perform the technique.)

very correct
    look at some of high level guys in the Wu or Yang styles, they have no set stances..

Different perspectives of noted masters, departures from the intent of the Taoist ideas all have come into play to change the art; even to the point of some who claim others have watered it down when they changed it according to what for them may have reflected a truer understanding of Taoist ideals.

Doing what is natural seems hard because much of what we do is unnatural. Its very hard to get rid of the idea of doing instead of allowing in our practice. Peopel want to feel the power. Its hard to let go.

To get to the point where you are sung, doesn’t mean to be hard first, it means that you need to train the body in such a way that it is not possible to use conventional means to support it or move it. At this point another factor must come into play it’s called internal, it takes a while to relise this, some never do.

How you reach this point is the key, investing in loss
    Last edited by bamboo_ leaf; 11-21-2003 at 04:39 PM.
    enjoy life