Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Good reads in various magazines

Good reads in various magazines

KF/QG has an article on Tai Tzu - not great, but I'm sure Abel and RD would be into it.

Classical Fighting Arts has a nice article on shuai chiao.

Black Belt has an atricle on catch wrestling. I also read the david carridine interview... he's had more training than I thought. I still wouldn't learn his mantis system though

Journal of asian martial arts has a great article on a week at a thailand MT camp.

you know... It may have been IKF that had the tai tzu article... I read one after the other and can't remember which had it.

Does any one know which publication/month had the steve gartin article? I was looking for that but couldn't find it.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

The Taizu article

It ran in both our issue and IKF. That's what we call a simultaneous submission, and it's highly frowned upon in the martial community (or any small research community). It was a rather unfortunate circumstance and we've received a full apology from the authors, Kash & Prout. FWIW, IKF presented the article differently, so while the introduction is the same, the second half of the piece is completely different. Also we added the Chinese characters and changed the romanization to pinyin where possible. IKF's pics are bigger and they use color. As it stands, it's a fascinating comparison between the styles of our two magazines. I'll be interested to hear your opinions on them in that light.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I like color pics better than black and white
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

I have nothing good to say about it so........

..........No comment.

I'll go re-read them and see which style I like better.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    It was a rather unfortunate circumstance and we've received a full apology from the authors, Kash & Prout.
    holy crap...I better just stick with SifuAbel's response...
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

what's with this prout guy? I've never heard of him.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

I was wondering the same thing.. I'm guessing he's not going to be class president.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

you can do a search for him here. the only time I've gone off about someone individually was about Prout. and only cuz I know him personally and know what sort of martial artist he is.

or check him out here

http://www.dokungfu.com/tkaa/index_page0002.htm

you know, I've just been contemplating the fact that there really isn't any need for any of us to bash anyone else for what they do martially...but I guess there is always something or someone that will send you over...unfortunately this guy does it for me
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

Revisited those threads... thanks for the reminder (shakes head)...

I hope there are some letters written to the editor if y'all are still all that pizzed about them.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

Sifu Abel and RD have the beef with the whole tai tzu thing.
    I only touched on it.
    all the xingyi and bagua info I got from Kash (by way of my old sifu) has basically checked out with only the usual discrepencies you find from line to line.

Prout on the other hand I know personally...I just want him to fight to prove all that paper he supposedly has now...but he won't.

interesting

you guys can always Pm me about this if you like.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Gene, I think Sifu Abel and RD would (and probably will) contest that Sifu Kash actually knows any Tai Tzu. I don't know enough tai tzu to tai mai shu ( oh, I crack my self up sometimes )

i'm just irked that Prout has made it into a magazine when I personally don't think he really TRAINS much less has the azz to back all his claims up.

mmmphf...mmphw...mmgry

my girlfriend just did a rear naked on me so I'll shut up now

sorry, nuthin' against you guys or the editorial policy.

I do wonder this though, no foul if they submitted to more than one mag but surely one of you accepted first. They had to have known they were going to be in one before the other and should have declined the second offer. I'd bet your offer was second and they wanted the exposure in the better mag. (not asskissin', just truth.)

(and NO, she is not available to do a rear naked on anyone else)

I can only bite my tounge for so long.

The whole assertion that ELF is primarily an internal style that looks like Yang tai chi is utterly absurd. And, that only the southern styles were more external? Gimme a break.......

There was a tape out not long ago from shaolin inc. documenting the different branches of tai tzu chuan, there were NO tai chi like forms in that entire tape. AND, the northern tai tzu forms were very external.

Sorry, I'm just not buying it, never have. And after this I probably never will.

Let's not forget the kuntao-silat article by Monkey Slap in IKF. I thought that was an excellent article.
    Monkey vs. Robot