Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: looking for help in chicago

Crippled Avenger edits a poetry journal! HAHAHA!

What a pu$$y!

Hey, what are you doing to my...

OOOOOOWWW!

I subscribe to the Hemingway school of editing.

If I don't like what you write, I get sauced and beat you up like Wallace Stevens.
    Last edited by CrippledAvenger; 01-08-2004 at 01:31 AM.
    "Oh LORD, please spare our eyes"- Traditional Prayer before an English Singlestick Match

Crip and Creole,
    FYI Espy is making Posole Saturday afternoon. The both of yous are invited to come over and eat after class. I'll provide the food, you two can provide the beer

Sounds good to me although I had to look up what posole was. :)

Originally posted by creole
    Also, I did check out Choi's school (based on the many reccomendations of previous posts) but got the feeling that there would be no sparring. One student who I spoke to said as much and I watched a Hsing I class as well. Does anyone know if that is true?
    I think it's fair to say that there is no sparring early on. Mostly what we new students do are two man drills, which becomes close to sparring with a limited number of techniques as both sides get more proficient. He doesn't open things up to free sparring until he feels you have the basics down. And he expects students to use the drills to: 1) test your core skills and find what needs work, and 2) go home and work on those core skills. It is a pretty good approach for beginners.

I can tell you are thinking long term, so I should emphasize that it's absolutly wrong to say that "there would be no sparring." If anything, he really enourages people to step out of their present skill level and take up the next level of intensity - wherever they are at ability wise.

His teaching approach is really detailed and very carefully thought out. I'm amazed at how his shorter drills combine into a very technical fighting strategy. I wish all the time I've spent learning martial arts could have been at M. Choi's.

Hope this helps.
    vigor rules!

Originally posted by CrippledAvenger
    I subscribe to the Hemingway school of editing.

If I don't like what you write, I get sauced and beat you up like Wallace Stevens.
    Hey C-A,

If you can find the book "That Summer in Paris" by Callaghan Morley, it's a great read written by Hemingway's sparring partner in Paris. The guy was an amature boxer in highschool/college? and kind out of shape, but he kept Hemingway honest. Very funny insights into Papa's mentality. I don't want to say more.

Enjoy!
    vigor rules!

Thanks, Crumble

Thats the kind of insight I was looking for. I am still checking out schools but it is good to know so I don't write off Choi's for the wrong reason. I hope to figure things out in the next 2 wks and pick a school so I can get things going.

Bah, most of these reponses are foolish!!!!

Hasn't anybody told about these guys?

www.ngfamilymartialarts.com

Seriously they have top notch Choy lay Fut and wing chun. They also have san shou training available. Their guy Keith won his divison at the Taiji legacy(twice I think) he also won wing chun grand champion.

I trained there for a while I took allot of time off from there because of my work schedule. I'm going back this sunday. I train CLF there. The prices are also considerable cheaper than Choi's to. They are located in Chinatown so they aren't to hard to get to.

They get my highest reccomendation
    Hung Sing Martial Arts Association
    Self Protection, Self Confidence, Physical Fitness
    www.HungSingChoyLayFut.com

Martial Arts Training and fitness Blog
    http://hungsingmartialarts.blogspot.com/

Originally posted by Water Dragon
    Crip and Creole,
    FYI Espy is making Posole Saturday afternoon. The both of yous are invited to come over and eat after class. I'll provide the food, you two can provide the beer
    Sounds awesome. What's yer poison? Lemme know and I'll grab a case on the way up.
    "Oh LORD, please spare our eyes"- Traditional Prayer before an English Singlestick Match

Dos Equis Lager goes great with posole. Mebbe we'll even have flan for desert. Not for ST00 though, he's being a bad Cuban again.

Yay! Dos Equis.

Nothing like beer and flan after beating people up all day.

Shaolindynasty,

I actually checked out Ng last saturday. I observed a class and spoke with someone, I think his name was Rick?. The sifu wasn't there and the senior student (Rick?) taught the class and there was only 3 people present (including him). I was not sure if I saw a representative showing of what the class was normally like or not. As a result, I did not come away with an awesome feeling expereince.

Does the sifu normally teach and is Keith normally there?

Crip, I will pick up the beer since I am the newbee and you are doing the driving.

WD, are we on for lunch tomorrow at Alontis at 12:00PM? If so let me know where it is located and I will meet you there.

Ya know what creole? You got me thinking about Venice now. Do you just want to meet up at the cafe at noon tomorrow? If so, how about we meet at the pick up counter. I'm about 6 foot with reddish brown hair and I'll be wearing a matrix style overcoat (not because I'm cool, because I have to walk a mile each way in this $hit they call weather in Chicago)

Thanks for the generous offer, Creole. BTW, check your PMs.

WD-- you've got mail.