Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: looking for help in chicago

Question looking for help in chicago

Hello,

I am new to the ma world and looking to begin classes. I am about to complete my mba and I am now looking to fill the void study ma.

Does anyone have any info on some of the better schools and instructors in Chicago? (I live in Bucktown, work in the Loop, anywhere in the city is cool.) There are way too many to investigate individually and I thought this might be a good way to narrow my search. I am not sure which style I will eventually settle on, but here is what interests me at this point:
    a. moderate sparring
    b. practical application
    c. not soley defensive
    d. not heavily focused on weapons
    e. not interested in competitions
    f. displays a spiritual aspect
    g. light ground work

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Last edited by creole; 11-24-2003 at 01:41 PM.

Chicago help

Check out the Fred Degerberg School. They offer a number of styles. Its one of the better ones.

here is the URL:

http://www.degerberg.com

There are a couple of Chicago Shuai Chiao players here on the forum. You should talk to them.
    CPA's current P4P List:
    -Bas Rutten
    -Captain Jack Sparrow
    -Cindy Lauper
    -Lester Moonvest

Send a PM to WaterDragon.

Also, you can check out Choi's school - www.liuhopafa.com

What specifically are you looking for?
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Hey creole! I'm not sure I can really answer your question as I'm more into the rough-and-tumble stuff in the city, but I'll give you some people you might be interested in so you can at least get out and start looking.

Us Shuai Chiao peeps work out of the Southside/Indianna, but we tend to go a bit harder than what it sounds like you're looking for (with that whole getting thrown into the ground at high velocity part).

Degerberg isn't exactly my cup of tea, but you might find him interesting. If you're into ground work, go see Dino at Iron Fist. He knows his stuff cold.

If you really want top-notch, CMA instruction though, go check out Wai Lun Choi on Irving Park, (right by the brownline stop). He teaches Lama Pai, Water Boxing, Xing Yi, Taiji, Bagua, as well as Qi Gong. Quite a nice gentleman, to boot.

Oh, if you're into Taiji, ask Fa_jing or Water Dragon for some other good teachers in the city. There's a couple of William CC Chen guys who are also spoken of very highly in my circles here as well, (if I'm remembering right).

There's also some good Southern Mantis in the city, but they're pretty secretive and hard to find. Tough guys, though, and generally good fighters.
    "Oh LORD, please spare our eyes"- Traditional Prayer before an English Singlestick Match

Seven Star,

thanks for the response. Firstly, I am not sure what I am looking for b/c I have no experience. Instead, narrowing to good schools/ instructors that fit the above criteria should help me find what I am looking for.

Also, I did check out Choi's school (based on the many reccomendations of previous posts) but got the feeling that there would be no sparring. One student who I spoke to said as much and I watched a Hsing I class as well. Does anyone know if that is true?

CrippledAvenger,

Anyway that I can come check out what you guys do? It may help me figure out if it is something I definitely want to avoid.

Sure, it'd be totally cool to come down and check us out. Water Dragon and I might be moving indoors to a new practice facility in the near future, so you'd be best off talking to him about scheduling. Right now, we pretty much work out intensely on Saturdays with the occasional class on Wednesdays.

I'm sure he'll pop into this thread in the near future anyway.
    "Oh LORD, please spare our eyes"- Traditional Prayer before an English Singlestick Match

From what you've posted, I think you might be very happy working with Dino Costeas. Dino is a BJJ purple under Rickson Gracie. He teaches at Iron Fist Kung Fu right off of LSD and Irving Park Road. Dinos is the head bouncer at Club Circus, and a good Muay Thai guy to boot. He doesn't teach stand up, but if you are interested, I guarantee you will run into someone there who is both talented and willing to show you the ropes.

If you're willing to get a little more contact in, Windy City is a GREAT boxing gym. Also check out Tohken Judo on the North Side. If you're willing to travel to Naperville, Brian Eble has an excellant full contact Long Fist program. ****her South, you can come out to Indiana for either Shuai Chiao with me and the Crip, or Muay Thai under Miguel Torres (My Muay Thai coach)

Wai Lun Choi is always an excellant choice. I'm not sure how many fighters he currently has though. If you want, ask him if he can train you to fight either San Shou or MMA. He'll tell you if he's currently training fighters or not.

Good Luck! If you have any questions at all, feel free to ask.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

Crip is correct as well. Come on down, see what we're doing. I can take you to a Muay Thai class if you want to see what that's about. I can also take you by Dino's one of these days on a Saturday. I haven't rolled in a long time, and I really do need to get up there and see Dino's guys again. They're really good people.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

Water Dragon & Crip

WD wrote -
    "Crip is correct as well. Come on down, see what we're doing. I can take you to a Muay Thai class if you want to see what that's about. I can also take you by Dino's one of these days on a Saturday. I haven't rolled in a long time, and I really do need to get up there and see Dino's guys again. They're really good people."

Water Dragon & Crip,

I wanted to see if your offer still stood w/ regards to showing me around. I finally got my **** together and have some time to check things out with you guys. Let me know if you are interested in setting up something. I am open to whatever you guys prefer i.e. Muay Thai, Dino's, or whatever.

Hey! Just let me know what you want and when you want to go.

We'll be doing Muay Thai Thurs from 8-10 and Sat from 3-5

We wont be doing SC again until next week, most likely Mon/Wed from 7:30 - 9:30

If you are interested in what Dino's doing, let me know and I'll schedule a Saturday where we can go check him out. My understanding is that he does not teach at IronFist anymore, so I'll have to get info on his new location.

Also, if you ever want to do lunch, I also work in the Loop. My building is right across the river from the Sears Tower, on top of Union Station.

My Shuai Chiao brother has spoken correctly.

Where you located at, Creole? I might be able to give you a ride out if you want to check out Muay Thai or SC with us.

I think I would like to check out the Muay Thai on Sat. I had already committed to going to Song's KF on Thursday.

WD, I work about 2 blks from you. I am at Monroe & Clinton. Lunch sounds good. Does friday work? Here is my bus. tele 821.2610.
    May be we could iron out the details for Sat.

Crip, are you in the loop as well. My place is in Bucktown.

I will be here for another hour if one of you want to chat.

I work all over as a salesman, but I'm trying to get a job here in Hyde Park/Kenwood or Bronzeville. We'll see.

As for Saturday I can probably give you a ride, as I'm down with Bucktown. One of the guys I edit a poetry journal with lives there. Fun neighborhood, always something to do. Plus, it's really easy for me to get to, off of 90-94.

Anyhow, keep me posted on what's going on for the weekend.
    Last edited by CrippledAvenger; 01-07-2004 at 03:31 PM.

I'll call you tomorrow. I have to take my lunch from 12:00- 1:00. Do you like Alontis?