Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The fight(s) you lost

JKDVIGILANTE Guest

The fight(s) you lost

Anybody want to talk about the fight you lost and why YOU think you lost it? Or if the reason you lost is obvious,how have you changed your training methods to better prepare yourself for 'next' time?

------------------

J.L.B.

JWTAYLOR Guest
    Hmmm,
    Real fights, not just heavy sparring. Where should I begin?
    1. Got thrown over a pool table and choked once. I was pretty drunk and didn't know that I was in a fight. Apparently the other guy thought I was. Fortunately friends were beating him senseless by the time I realized that I was in trouble.
    2. Got knocked the fu(k out once. Thought I was pummelling one guy on the ground when it turns out I was really fighting three guys, only one of which I was pummelling on the ground.
    3. No punches thrown and I still got my jaw broken. (His girlfriend hit me with a big rock from the side before the guy and I ever got into it.) I just walked away from that one.

Shall I go on....

All lost for the same reason. I thought the situation was what I was seeing at the time. And I was wrong.
    JWT

------------------
    If you pr!ck us, do we not bleed? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that the villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction. MOV

JWTAYLOR Guest
    Great topic.
    It's nice to know that everyone else around here is invincible.
    JWT

Robinf Guest
    It's not that everyone is invincible. I've been extremely lucky in my life to have never been in a fight or even serious sparring that I couldn't just walk out of.

Sorry.

I did get out of a guy's grip, and I scared off another guy who was coming at me for I don't really care to know what reason. But, other than that, my life has been fortunate and uneventful in this arena.

JWTAYLOR Guest
    D@MN YOU SAFE PEOPLE!
    JWT

We're just a bunch of weenies JWT. Or maybe it's because we now how to keep our mouth shut at the right time??? LOL

I've been in one "fight" it was in High School and then I didn't know it was a fight until it was over. The whole school was out side for a fire drill and this tall black kid I'd never seen before said "what are you looking at" as I stared off into space in my own world (frequent occurance then). I guess I was looking in his direction. I think I said "nothing", then he poped me in the mouth. He almost knocked one of my teeth clean out the *******! I wasn't even sure he'd hit me at first I was so surprised. The school caught him when he went in to get his hand bandaged and they fu@ let him go with no punishment because he claimed I called him a ******. The pricipal was black and I wasn't...enough said! **** racists. I still have a discolored front tooth because of that as@hole.

I got "defeated" 'cause I didn't know I was in a fight, but I'd probably have lost anyway as I had not real clue how to fight then anyway. I learned my lesson and some more lessons (juijitsu +karate). I've always been able to avoid fights since then. I don't need to prove to myself that I can kick X's ass and I'm a smooth talker. Probably doesn't hurt that I'm 6 feet and 220+ lbs either. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

[This message has been edited by shiroikuma (edited 05-31-2000).]

[This message has been edited by shiroikuma (edited 05-31-2000).]

DiME Guest
    I'm 20 years old, and so far the only fight I've lost was when my friend got into it with someone. We were trying to walk away when this kid came over and shoved me. I turned around and suddenly I'm surrounded by a huge crowd watching me fight this kid. Anyway, somewhere in the middle of all this I got kicked in the nuts. That was pretty much the end of it. I swear nothing has ever hurt more. That's the worst that's ever happened to me.

Peace

illusionfist Guest
    Well all of the "real" altercations that i have been in have all ended in my favor (thank god) but i can tell you about an incident that happened against a kung fu brother and i that changed my whole outlook on fighting.

I'm pretty flexible and when i was about 14-16 yrs old, i used to kick a lot when i was sparring. I used to try bunches of high (and in my opinion) obviously useless kicks. It wasn't till one of my kung fu brothers snap kicked me in the nads that i realized that those kinds of kicks are useless. We were doing a type of street fighting conditioning class where we didn't use any kind of pads or protection (i.e. groin cups). This class was only open to advanced students because we were the only ones thought of as having some remote control. Well my kung fu brother just reacted at my high roundhouse to his head and WHAM,i entered high pitch melody land for about 2 hrs.

This incident changed my outlook because i started training my hand techniques more. I realized that i was too incomplete a fighter just using my kicks. I eventually got in trouble because i used hand techniques that were not "orthodox" to the style. I used short southern hand techniques instead of the orthodox long fist ones (at least those dictated by the style).

The rest is history...

Peace [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Seeker of the Way Guest
    Sounds like people 'round here is -not- invincible. I have yet to see someone who is, anyway [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I have a very bad habit of being assaulted out of nowhere by people itching for fights, but my worst one would be down at my grocery store, where two people started ragging on me, and I just ignored them and walked, thinking that the smartest.

As well as two people now can circle you, they circled me, and first guy smacks me square in the chest.

I shift my stance, and try to ignore the pain. This fails miserably, and I suffer another *****-slap to the head [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Finally I regain composure, and whips off a frantic chain-punch in the first guys chest. He loses his stance and falls over. In desperation, I completely forget the other man, and as I turn, he has pulled out a switchblade and sliced me upside the arm.

Bleeding like, well, a pig for lack of a better metafor, I kick out in panic. A Sci Ni maneuver actually(I remembered later), it hit his knee, and must have dislocated it, for the sensation was quite grotesque. He falls over, dropping the knife.

The first guy is up again, but I am long running, just wanting to get the hell out of there.

I lamented what I did to them later, but it scares me that people are willing to pull a knife on some guy they meet in the grocery store, just because they are bored?

Well, that's my story. Not a loss in the closest sense of the word, but morally, I think I lost..

SotW

------------------
    The dance of life, the capering of elements, and skip of gods. The dance is mine, I AM the dance.

Great topic...

Hmmmm...it's been a while since I've been in a fight (being old and married and all [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] ), but when I was younger, I was pretty much a magnet for trouble, which got me into the martial arts in the first place.

I won some, I lost some (I remember once I was winning, but my friend who was racing on his bike to help me lost control of it and ran me over right as I was about to knock the guy's lights out! LOL!), but one loss has always stuck with me, and actually still kinda affects me.

Some kid named Damien (like *that's* not an indicator that he's gonna be an a-hole) had decided to kick my a$$...I don't know why. Well, he snuck up on me from behind and cold-cocked me right in the back of the head. He knocked me down, and I rolled over, looking up at him. In my karate/TKD class, we had been doing kicks from the ground...directed at the legs and groin and whatnot, so like a champ I fire off a side kick, designed to blast him right in the nuts. Well, I had my distance guaged wrong, and I landed the weakest blow imaginable right to his inner thigh. He just sorta blinked and laughed at me right before he jumped on me and wailed on my face until some adult broke it up.

The lesson to learn, I suppose, is to keep fighting, even if your first strike/move doesn't work. I guess in my head, I was like, "I'll kick him, he'll drop, and that'll be that." Obviously, I should have kept kicking or trying to get up or something.

What still affects me, though, is that total feeling of helplessness when my blow landed so lightly on him. I still have dreams sometimes when I'm fighting someone, and every punch lands with that forceless contact. On some level, I'm very afraid that if I ever do have to hit someone, it won't hurt, even though I've grown into a 200 lb. thug with BIG arms who can knock a heavy bag around like nobody's business. I'm not sure what to do about it, mentally. I certainly think that this could affect me in a fight, and I hope I can overcome it, somehow.

------------------
    Peace.
    Reverend Tim

Ford Prefect Guest
    Let's see...

The first time I was ever really "drunk", I fought one of my sister's friends, tripped over my own feet while back pedaling, and got pummelled. I looked like a raccoon because I had two black eyes.

Another time I got charged while I was sitting down at a party because I was disputing the score in a beer die game. Didn't even have a chance to move. I was just knocked over, being strangled, and had my head smashed against the concrete floor repeatedly.

There was another time that I was watching a fight at a party, but somebody must have thought I was in it because I got blind sided by one of those duraflame logs. I didn't go down, but I couldn't see. I was then tripped and kicked a few times.

It's all just fun stuff like that.

Jeez, Ford...

Time to move out of Revere! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

------------------
    Peace.
    Reverend Tim

[This message has been edited by ReverendTim (edited 05-31-2000).]

Ky-Fi Guest
    uhhh....real fights...well, I got into a fight on the ice during a high school hockey game..I guess that doesn't really count....hmm..being a pretty mellow, low key guy, I don't think I've ever been in real fight. When I was in college, during the summers I worked in a Kraft(yogurt) factory. The regular workers had threatened us summer help, saying that they were going to throw us in a huge vat of cold water during our last week. My buddy Dave carried an x-acto knife with him, telling everybody that if they tried to grab him they were going to get cut. Being slightly less psychotic, I didn't carry any weapon, and sure enough, a couple days before I was done I was approached in back room by a couple of the regular guys. They were laughing, but it was slightly serious. As the lead dufus approached me, I said half-jokingly "watch out, I know Karate". He kind of smirked and kept walking. I was still kind of joking around, and I was going to do a high kick and land it next to his face to show him I wasn't kidding. Well, probably because I was nervous, I misjudged and really clocked him pretty hard in the jaw with the toe of my work boot. His buddy started laughing, and he was laughing too, trying to pretend it was nothing, although I had hit him pretty good. They both just went back to their jobs. The next couple days I was constantly made fun of--every time I walked into a room someone would yell out "hey, watch out for Bruce Lee", and then some of the tough guys would say "you try that **** with me and you'll be sorry". Let's just say I was ready to get out of that place---but I didn't get thrown in a vat [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]........man, my fight experience is pretty lame compared to JWT [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img].

Ford Prefect Guest
    LOL! Naw. All that happenned in Framingham.

Ky-Fi Guest
    Hey, we can't delete our own posts anymore?--oh well, just ignore this one

[This message has been edited by Ky-Fi (edited 05-31-2000).]