Thread: nine-dragon trident

nine-dragon trident

Is there a book on the nine-dragon trident anywhere? This is one of the most unusual weapons out of China. Is it even a real weapon? The little information about this weapon available, and wherever it is available, it is not detailed very well. Or is there a source for a reference other than the Jane Hollander book or Doc-fai Wong's website?

Thanks,

Doug M

http://www.clfma.com/modules.php?op=...rticle&artid=7

Here you can find a pic of a guy with a 9 dragon trident.
    There is also a vcd with this performing, you can search the previous threads for this info.

It was supposed to have been the weapon of choice for Chan Hueng, the founder of CLF. The weapon is unique to CLF and typically seen in the Chan Family line. Few have learned this set. From what I know the weapon is rather heavy. To me it does not seem very practical, however as a CLF practitioner I have respect for those who have learned this weapon.

Peace.

Thumbs up

If you search really hard and have a bit of luck you may be able to find an old martial arts magazine from Hong Kong called Real Kung Fu (Vol 1, May 1976, issue 9).

In this particular issue is an article on the Nine Dragon Trident and Master Chan Yiu Wun. The article was written by Leon Lee and shows Master Chan Yiu Wun demonstrating applications with the Nine Dragon Trident as well as the history of the weapon.

A wise man knows, that to know is to know that to know is not to know

Thanks, Everyone

I recently contacted Master Doc-Fai Wong about writing a book on it, and he said he would keep it in mind. I think the problem is finding a large enough audience to convince a publisher to print something on it. I hope this becomes a reality; what a book (a well-crafted book, that is) it could be!

Doug M

I don't think there is enough information to write a book about this weapon. Afterall it is not like a staff, spear or sword, all of which have a long history and numerous forms and techniques.

Secondly, not many outside of the Chan Family have an in depth knowledge of the weapon.

Peace.

is that the weapon that looks like a tv antenna?
    It seems very interesting on the pics, but i often wondered how practical that would be in a war like situatuion.

whats up chad!

chaz is right, if you search hard enough you will find magazine articles on this extraordinary weapon. i have that exact copy of that magazine and it gives instruction on how to use this weapon. it also gives the story of chan heung against i think it was a famous gung fu master who perfected the staff of spear.

you may contact the late brendan lai's shop in san francisco, ca where they still have copies of this old magazine. that is where i got my copy. at close look, this weapon is a combination of many weapons in one. it has a spear, hooks, and i think is four sided.
    it is a exotic weapon at best, and works on theory, but for someone to perfect this weapon, it should take a life time. but then where would you use it?

frank
    Last edited by SifuX-HSK; 12-03-2003 at 04:14 PM.
    Fight to win!!!

Re: whats up chad!

Originally posted by SifuX-HSK
    but then where would you use it?

frank
    in ancient china when hordes of mongol soilders are charging at you and you have to defend the emperor.

hey, SifuX-HSK

Is there an online link to Brenden Lai's store?

Doug M

online store?

not that i know of. but if you wanted to, send a check or money order to my sifu in my name (just to be safe since my sifu's is well respected) and i will buy any copis you want and send it to you in the mail.

unfortunately hands are tied on this situation, but if you want to let me know. you can email my sifu at hungsing.com or me at sifufrank@hotmail.com

frank
    Fight to win!!!

Our newest web article

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Kung Fu Weapons are awesome. READ The Nine Dragon Trident - The Quintessential Weapon of Choy Lee Fut by Emilio Alpanseque
    Great article. I'd love to see the Kung Fu of that woman with the strong arms. Here's the best link I have of what looks like a complete Choy Lee Fut Nine-Dragon Trident form: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_UCTFmoxZk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by YinOrYan View Post
    Great article. I'd love to see the Kung Fu of that woman with the strong arms. Here's the best link I have of what looks like a complete Choy Lee Fut Nine-Dragon Trident form: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_UCTFmoxZk
    You could do the same set with the dai pah. Same idea.

It looks like a weapon suitable to be used against wild animal or multiple human foes.

Regards,

KC
    Hong Kong