The Cosmos Palm is an advanced Shaolin art that is sometimes mentioned but little known. As it could cause severe internal injury if inflicted on an opponent, masters were careful to teach this art only to tested disciples. The Cosmos Palm is also very useful in healing others.

It is different from the Buddha Palm of Choy-Li-Fatt Kungfu. While the Buddha Palm is "hard", the Cosmos Palm is "soft". The method of training is also different.

The Cosmos Palm is a "skill" or ability, and not a technique or a form. Once you have acquired this Cosmos Palm skill or ability or force, you can implement it using any technique or in any form, although in combat it is usually implemented in the form of a palm strike. I mention "skill or ability or force": because there is no English equivalent term for what it is expressed in Chinese as gong (pronounced as "kung").

It is called Cosmos Palm because the force used in its application is derived from the cosmos. Through years of appropriate practice, the exponent has stored a tremendous amount of energy which he has tapped from the cosmos, in his dan tian or abdominal energy field. Much of the training concerns mind and energy; the outward form is bafflingly simple. When needed, the exponent uses his mind to channel his energy from his dan tian to strike an opponent or to heal somebody. Strictly speaking, it is not the palm that strikes, but the energy from the exponent that distorts the energy field of the opponent. The oponent can be seriously injured, and the damage is delayed (i.e. it may come many days after the strike) and there may be no external marks.

Different external forms can be used to acquire the Cosmos Palm, and "Pushing Mountains" is one such form. But even if you practise Pushing Mountains for 20 years, you will not acquire the Cosmos Palm unless you also know the mind and energy dimensions involved. The mind and energy dimensions must be taught by a master; faulty practice, which is not uncommon in such advanced arts, causes serious problems.

"Just because I joke around sometimes doesn't mean I'm serious about kung-fu.
" - nightair