Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: robert w smith vs chen man ching fight

robert w smith vs chen man ching fight

does anyone remember this part of "Chinese Boxing" ? Chen Man Ching invites Smith to attack him any way he chooses. Smith attacks blah blah blah then chen man ching unleashes a torrent of a zillion blows, scaring the hell out of Smith. How would you characterize this attack in terms of the internal arts? Smith recalled there was not much force behind the blows, but I don't know if that is significant here. Just mulling over a section of my favorite book as I often do
    I do not ever see Sifu do anything that could be construed as a hula dancer- hasayfu

Hmmm

Well he also mentions that Cheng pulled all the punches so as not to knock him out with the first one but to repetitively scare the hell out him just to let him know what he was capable of.
    " Don't confuse yourself with someone who has something to say " - The Fall

" I do not like your tone/ It has ephemeral whingeing aspects " - The Fall

" There are twelve people in the world/ The rest are paste " - Mark E Smith

right. I guess I thought of chen man ching as being this sickly and strictly yang style guy. But upon refelction of that story, it wuld appear he did know some offense
    I do not ever see Sifu do anything that could be construed as a hula dancer- hasayfu

Would that be a blanket assumption that all Yang Stylers are sickly and can't fight offensively? I know Yang style in the greater majority has been watered down into a health dance to many, but there are still schools out there who are practicing combat Yang style down from the Yang Shou Hou side.... I am a student of such a system.
    I am Jacks Dan Tien

"The last sound he made was like a sparrow whistling"

I have practiced and taught Chen Man Ching Yang style and it is very good for developing awareness of qi and vitalization. I was very surprised at how good it makes you feel and the physical sensations. An hour of Cheng Man ching taiji and you will just feel incredible energy in your body for the whole day until the next morning. You will never get tired. One time , I had a bad flu I had just caught and I had been throwing up the night before, The next morning I felt really hot and sick so I did Cheng man ching form for 20 minutes. All feelings of sickness were gone after 20 minutes and I felt better than if I wasn't sick and could easily do the things I needed to do that day. This was very surprising to me; I almost couldn't beleive it at first , and I've been doing taiji and qigong ever since. I no longer practice Yang style because I've moved on to older and more complete systems like Dayan wild goose qigong , and Chen stlye taiji . But Cheng man ching style is still very good especially when done very slow at the beginning

stick to the topic please. (the fight and techniques employed by CMC against this particular opponent) thanks

Robert Smith is a hack. Look at his Bagua book. He knows nothing of Gao baguazhang. Nor do his students.
    Buddy

Chen Man Ching Taiji doesn't get allot of respect in my corner of the world, from combat oriented Taiji practitioners... it's all push hands and nothing else!
    I am Jacks Dan Tien

I guess he knew some shaolin

Well, Erle's shi.t catches a lot of flak, too.
    "Duifang jing zhi meng ji, wo fang tui zhi ce fang xi zhi."

The difference is that if you go to any of Erle's or his students classes, it's always combat & health oriented with a very comprehensive curriculum mirroring the training styles of Yang Shou Hou. You go to a Chen Man Ching and it's just health and push hands! Push hands has nothing to do with realistic fighting whatsoever...
    I am Jacks Dan Tien

That's true.

(btw, my school does not affiliate itself with any CMC groups/organizations for the reasons stated in your last post)
    "Duifang jing zhi meng ji, wo fang tui zhi ce fang xi zhi."

Hmmm

Strange that because Cheng had obvious fighting skills. A lot of the American Cheng schools, BUT NOT ALL!!!!!, teach the absolute shell of Cheng's Taiji. And if you feel that push hands has nothing to do with fighting then you're not doing your push hands properly. Push hands has everything to do with fighting. I've come home from push hands classes plenty of times with bruises and dead legs. What on earth do you do in your push hands classes.
    And believing that all combat aspects of Yang Taiji exclusively comes down from Yang Shou Hou's lineage is not just laughable but naive and insulting.
    " Don't confuse yourself with someone who has something to say " - The Fall

" I do not like your tone/ It has ephemeral whingeing aspects " - The Fall

" There are twelve people in the world/ The rest are paste " - Mark E Smith

maybe he wasn't using any style in particular, just educating smith. Letting him know that he as leaving himself open to attacks by focusing too much on offense. Still...

Old man Cheng would whoop Smith's ass. However, Smith could probably whoop most all of Chengs students -
    How about putting Cheng up against Hung I Hsiang? LOL - poor old Cheng would be crushed! (literally w/ beng chuan!)
    Train, not practice