Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New question about fighting

Robinf Guest
    Kungfukid,

I don't know if you read my post just above dooder's, but I brought up a point, and your new post seems to help me along a theory I'm developing.

Don't think and don't get hit.

You talked about learning to walk. When you learn to walk, you consciously think about walking and you fall. It's when you stop thinking about it that you stop falling.

Same thing for sparring (or an interesting experiment anyway). Don't think about sparring, and you won't take hits.

kungfukid Guest
    RobinF,
    Thanx for your reply. I appreciate it.
    Keep digging. You are very close to understanding why you get hit during sparring. Your theory of not thinking while sparring is the tip of a massive iceberg. Once you see the entire iceberg, you will be surprised at the size of it.

What you have done, Robinf is found the answer, but do not yet know the question. If you know 4, but not that 2 + 2 = 4, then 4 is not good to you. So, I'll give you the question to your answer. Here it is: Why do I get hit when I think while sparring? Or, what happens to me when I think while sparring? When you answer these questions fully you will have seen the entire iceberg.

To try to help you along further, I see you have an enterest in Philosophy. I suggest you read P.D. Ouspensky's In Search of the Miraculous. On the surface it has nothing to do with MA. But if you look deeper you will see it can. Apply what you learn there to fighting.

Kungfukid

P.S. I see by the homepage you posted in your profile that you study TKD. Here's something else for you to chew on. Not only should you not ever be hit, but no one should ever hit you with a kick either. Both of these statements are so for the same reason.

[This message has been edited by kungfukid (edited 06-21-2000).]

Longquan Guest
    Here is my way of "light contact" sparring, which is different from the way I "full contact" spar which is different from self-defense:

1) Sense my opponents flow (position/posture, mental/emotional state)
    2) Attempt to control my opponent by setting the pace: Strikes and counters creating a rhythm (enveloping and then expelling) -- I increase and decrease my speed, setting them up.
    3) I tag until I score.

I do think during light contact but use sensitivity more because of the "tag"
    element to light contact.

Longquan Guest
    And I rarely get hit...

Robinf Guest
    Kungfukid,
    I found two listings for that book:

In Search of the Miraculous: Fragments of an Unknown Teaching

and simply

In Search of the Miraculous

Both by the same author. Are they the same book?
    (thanks for the suggestion, I do love this stuff and I'm trying to figure out your puzzle).

Robinf Guest
    One more think, Kungfukid,

Is this philosophy you're talking about kind of like you hold a spoon up and believe, not just say but believe, there is no spoon. Kind of like existing without question or judgement, without thinking but allowing whatever it is in my system to simply be and respond.

That, if I think about getting hit, it is inevitable that I will get hit, as I'm preparing myself for it just by thinking about it.

Am I on the right track to what you're talking about?

I'm really getting into this. Let me think some more, but I would appreciate a response in the mean time.

kungfukid Guest
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Robinf:
    One more think, Kungfukid,

Is this philosophy you're talking about kind of like you hold a spoon up and believe, not just say but believe, there is no spoon. Kind of like existing without question or judgement, without thinking but allowing whatever it is in my system to simply be and respond.

That, if I think about getting hit, it is inevitable that I will get hit, as I'm preparing myself for it just by thinking about it.

Am I on the right track to what you're talking about?
    I'm really getting into this. Let me think some more, but I would appreciate a response in the mean time.
    [/quote]

When you fight without the conscious mind, your body will repsond appropriately. Thinking about getting hit is not what gets you hit. Thinking period gets you hit. Why?
    You are on the right track, just try to remember what it feels like to fight someone.

Don't think. Feel! "It is like a finger pointing to the moon. Don't stare at the finger or you'll miss all that heavenly glory!"

Kungfukid
    P.S. Yes they are the same book.

Water Dragon Guest
    Ha Haaa!!
    I get what your saying now. Man, why do Kung Fu guys always have to try and talk like Confucious.

Anyway, along the lines of the above post, next time your sparring, pick a point on the wall behind you and keep thinking about it no matter what. This isn't some mystical trick so don't think that alone will keep you from getting popped. But keep your intention on the wall behind you. Check out the difference it makes. Post your results here if you like it.

------------------
    Although there are many styles, they all depend on the strong beating the weak and the slow falling to the quick. These are not related to the power that must be learned -- Taiji Classics

kungfukid Guest
    Water Dragon,
    Thanx for you reply, I appreciate it.
    Looking at a point behind your opponent is only a part of the equations, a big part, but still only a part. Yes, you can do this and still get popped. But there is a away to fight without getting hit. What I'm am trying to get y'all to see has more to do with the mind than what you do with your body. No, it is not mystical, but if you can unlock the secret it will improve your sparring, fighting ability exponentially.

Later

Kungfukid

Water Dragon Guest
    UHHHHH....OK

Come on now, ya gotta help out more than this.

Forward intention, no preconceived course of action, respond to the opponents intention, yield and go, follow the circle, forget your art and just go ballz out(the training will be there), no defense and no offense.

I'm still not catching it.

------------------
    Although there are many styles, they all depend on the strong beating the weak and the slow falling to the quick. These are not related to the power that must be learned -- Taiji Classics

kungfukid Guest
    Water Dragon
    Thanks for your reply. I appreciate it.

Tell me, how does it feel to be so close to the truth but not see it?

Kungfukid.

Water Dragon Guest
    I carry a Smith & Wesson .40 Cal. I can fight with that and not get hit [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Seriously, if your going to do a strong, traidional art, you need to add daggers and guns to the training.

If I'm correct, the traditional way is to learn the complete system, then improve it, make it relevant, and pass on the knowledge to the next generation.

But that my friends, is a different post

------------------

Water Dragon Guest
    Oh yeah I forgot,
    I can't get to Wuji(Mushin)yet. Still too much to learn and forget.

------------------

Robinf Guest
    What it feels like, with an empty mind, to spar/fight someone. Do you mean muscle feeling or mind feeling (such as what my muscles were doing, or the feeling of adreneline)?

kungfukid Guest
    Robinf,

Pay close attention to your mind (mental state).