Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: general opinion of ninjitsu?

mild7 Guest

general opinion of ninjitsu?

Hi, just wanted to know what you guys think of ninjitsu(bujinkan, in particular).
    I've done martial arts for most of my life(TKD, Judo, Aikido, kickboxing) and have recently started up ninjitsu. I was really impressed by the instructor and his abilities.
    From what I've seen, ninjitsu seems to be the next best thing to Arnis for general street-defense(weapons etc)..
    But what are your opinions on this? Thanks for your time!

Slater_E Guest
    I've researched teh arts of the ninja's very carefully for a couple of years. It seems to me that aside from their fighting style, a key to their weaponry is improvisation. They use all kind of weapons, and although they have a style of fighting and such, they also kind of use whatever works. I really like the idea of ninjutsu, and am looking for a teacher in teh Seattle Area. if you have any leads or idea that would be really really great. =)
    Hope I didn't sound like a fool.

------------------
    "In a fight, there is no second place."

DrunkenMonkey Guest
    You live in Seattle? I don't live far from there. Anyways, yeah. Ninjas are taught to improvise. A lot of their training is really survival and such.

------------------
    Underaged Drunken Monkey

Sithlord Guest
    Hmmmmmmmmm........I'm wondering if anybody has an opinion on Frank Dux.

------------------
    May the darkside of the force be with you.

-Sithlord

Good, better, Me Guest
    Frank Dux. A genius guy. Can do wonders. He has teached Van Damme in the movie called Blood sport.

Any opinions of Van Damme?

------------------
    If there is fighting. There is me.

rogue Guest
    Real dumb question but, what do these Ninja masters do with their skill set?

Hiroshi Tanaka Guest
    Rogue. If you study something like Karate, You don't only learn it, but you also keep the tradition of learning. There are many styles which have been forgotten. Some styles are worth knowing, not only for selfdefence but also for studying the ancient tradition. So when you have mastered ninjitsu, you don't have to use your skills, because knowledge is more important then skill. The knowledge of the tradition

------------------
    Anything you wish for can be reached, but be careful what you wish for

MoQ Guest
    Beautiful sentiment Hiroshi...

rogue Guest
    I agree, well put. Still my question stands, what do you ninjas out there do with your, let's say, unique skill set? How does it help you in your daily life? What has your sensei used it for? What are you hoping to get out of it?

Hiroshi Tanaka Guest
    Ninjutsu teaches you, the unique instinct. You might sometime have to use your skills in the streets, and Taijitsu teaches you fast kicking etc. And it also teaches you to run away fast, haha!!

------------------
    Anything you wish for can be reached, but be careful what you wish for

shaolindodude Guest
    fighting was only a part of the art of ninjitsu, and if thats all your learning then you arn't realy learning ninjitsu at all. just some practical fighting technics.

Unlike you kung fu guys fighting in clubs and teahouses, ninjas kill be stealth. Many of our techniques are applied to the oblivious. It is thought of as bad technique if an opponent squares up to defend themselves. SOme of the ninja techniques such as attuning yourself to become invisible or morphing into animals is not unique to ninjitsu, but also practiced by some Native American groups.

rogue Guest
    Yo dude, pass that crack pipe over here!

mild7 Guest
    it is interesting how some ppl just put down ninjitsu without base. ninjitsu works and that's that.
    yes, it's true that a lot of the art of ninjitsu is'nt taught nowadays(espionage etc) that's why Soke Hatsumi prefers to call the art Budo Taijutsu, as it is focused on fighting nowadays.

totallyfrozen Guest
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by NinjaStar:
    Unlike you kung fu guys fighting in clubs and teahouses, ninjas kill be stealth. Many of our techniques are applied to the oblivious. It is thought of as bad technique if an opponent squares up to defend themselves. SOme of the ninja techniques such as attuning yourself to become invisible or morphing into animals is not unique to ninjitsu, but also practiced by some Native American groups.[/quote]
    Oh, just shut up...
    You don't know what you are talking about. What a joke. You proabably don't even know how to set up an ambush and you are talking about killing with stealth.
    Like I said before, join the military, kid..and learn what combat is like before you talk a bunch of smack.
    I'm sorry..I don't mean to come down on you so hard and perhaps I should show more patience toward you. I just get a bit weary of hearing people talk about being "commandos" without even knowing how scary and dirty it really is.
    You don't feel "cool" in a fight...you feel scared. You use stealth not because you are "so incredibly cool" but because if you don't, the other guy will KILL you.
    Stop trying to sound like a superhero. I had a good friend in the Army, who was a Green Beret, and he was killed. I guarantee he knew more about stealth and ambush that you will learn in your lifetime...yet he was killed. Battle is not as cool as you make is sound.
    I'm sorry to be so harsh on you...but it's a real drag to hear you go on about it sometimes.