Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: most improved kick

most improved kick

just out of interest, what one kick do you think you have improved on the most since you began training?

for me I would say hook kicks- when I started I just couldnt get my body to turn properly and I had no force in it. now, I can whip it out as fast as a roundhouse, with power, and its easier to recover if I dont connect. same with spinning hooks (although I dont really go for spinning anythings)
    "If there is no grand plan; if there is no big picture; if nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."

MT has given me an awesome roundhouse kick, both rear and front leg. My tornado kick and hook kick have improved also, but since I don't do tornado kicks anymore, I probably suck at them again.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Yeah, I'd have to say my roundhouse kick (I was always good at hook kicks). It just has so many variations and lots of physics.
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

this might sound wierd, but since we are talking about kicking. anyone have a problem kicking at air. It seems when i have a target, even if its someones hand held out for me to kick, my kicks are better. If i am just throwing in the blank air, they tend not be as good. not with front kicks too much, only with side/round/hook

i dont throw round or hooks that much anyway(actually these really suck without targets and my sidekick is ok, but i think better with a target)

most improved: definetly Side, i can now throw it up there with that XMA hieght...

err...wait i minute....should i be proud of that, hahaha

Peace

I will never reveal the wutang secrets.

ok, roundhouse is pretty decent but if we are talkingf about most improvement , i would have to say that recently i've developed a pretty decent spinning back kick.
    theres always room for improvement but its light years ahead of where i was once.

I have to admit that I could never generate the power I felt that I should have in the hook kick. I can do it, and it looks nice. But I never really use it.
    My side kick and roundhouse are strong. I think that the flexability in my hips allows me to chamber higher and that it is easier to kick . I can get decent power from those.
    Does anyone remember the guy who died from a broken neck back in the '80s from a spinning hook at a tournament? Now that is the power I want
    Funny that this topic came up as I have been practicing the hook on the heavy bag. Practice, practice,practice. Gee, wish that there was some secret

Originally posted by ZhouJiaQuan
    this might sound wierd, but since we are talking about kicking. anyone have a problem kicking at air. It seems when i have a target, even if its someones hand held out for me to kick, my kicks are better. If i am just throwing in the blank air, they tend not be as good. not with front kicks too much, only with side/round/hook
    How hard are you kicking? it's possible that you are kicking to hard, which is a bad thing to do when you're kicking air. Also, it's possible that your balance is off when you are kicking the air. Check those two things. Dunno if either is the case though - it's only a guess.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

I'd say my back thrust kick (dang chang geuk) has improved most, as I've learned the proper mechanics behind it.
    "Extra inch, extra power." -Tarm Sarm

i would say my tan tio and my roundhouse and sidekick. i wasnt any good at any of them. i would never raise my knee up on tan toi i would let it dangle.. and my roundhouse i could never balance. and the sidekick was probably the best of the 3 but no power in it.

My roundhouse sucks because my hips aren't very flexible. I only use it as a setup because I can't generate a lot of power with it.

My best kicks are spinning back and spinning crescent, both of which I can use with a fair amount of success.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

My side kicks have improved the most. They are not high, but my mechanics in chambering the kick are better and I can generate a good amount of force at the solar plexues level and down.

I have poor hip flexibility alos, but I've learned to cheat my hips on hooks and round house kicks. I have pretty good power on my round and my set-up and timimg is descent enough to overcome my poor hip flexibility. My hook kick still needs a lot of work.

My best kicks are my front thrust kick, spinning back kick, and my crescent kicks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

I'm gonna say Donkey Kick (jump spinning back kick)...

but it's still nowhere near my Donkey Punch...
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Shin kick.
    Cut the tiny testicles off of both of these rich, out-of-touch sumbiches, crush kill and destroy the Electoral College, wipe clean from the Earth the stain of our corrupt politicians, and elect me as the new president. --Vash

Hmm... I'm going to have to say round kick. For the same reasons that Ben Gash and Sevenstar mentioned. There are lots of variations that I've learned over the years. And the muay thai round kick is a thing of beauty.

Now if you were to ask me my favorite kick, it'd be a tie between that one and the sipa (oblique kick, cross kick, whatever).
    When you assume, you make an ass out of... pretty much just you, really.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    kicks that got better from 1990-2001:

roundhouse
    front kick/roundhouse combo
    butterfly
    hook/slap kick

kicks that have gotten worse since 2001:

all
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"