Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: American Shaolin by Matt Polly

Quote Originally Posted by Blacktiger View Post
    Not sure about any festivals that may be on.

Having said this our master is known for throwing students into random demos with 5 mins notice so who knows.

My master is taking a small group of us up, one of his students runs the wushu guan or something and we will be in his hands.

This will make things alot easier for us Shaolin virgins
    No matter what, it's going to be a crazy experience (in a good way!)

I envy you because there is no way to re-live a first experience like that, and I have very fond memories of it. You guys are going to have a blast.

Safe travels.

Thanks for the good wishes

Just wanted to log in and give kudos for the book "American Shaolin".

I must've finished the book in two days, reading obsessively at any opportunity. Some parts were hilarious; the story of the Iron Crotch performance had me literally in tears. It was one of those great stories that will stick with me for a long time.

But above that, I found the insights into China to be on point. I went to China two years ago, and had I read the book beforehand it would've saved me some cultural confusion. I'd strongly suggest the book to anyone who hasn't gone yet but plans to.

At least two other people have ordered the book after I recommended it to them. If the author should check in here again soon, know that your work is appreciated.

Read American Shaolin

Ok, I know it's not in Martialartsmart.com, but it is a great read. I think we have a romanticized image of what cma'ers are supposed to be- this book just gives an excellent first hand look into what CMA looked like in China in the early 90's.

It's American Shaolin by Matthew Polly- oh yeah- he likes San Da and they have a more liberal view of how to study CMA at the temple so it'll scare the heck out of a lot of you.

---

"Liberal"

I guess it would be that it seems that they work hard on a variety of things- it's a little more all encompassing- which is probably the only good thing that came out of the PRC cultural revolution that nearly killed TCMA in China.

When they found that Kung fu was good- they brought it back- I'm not talking about modern wushu- that's for tourists and the olympics- but they apparently brought back a lot of traditional stuff. They seem to study a variety of forms across many different "styles". The only prereq is that they want their people to work hard on whatever it is they're working on. They can learn a variety of forms and weapons based on their body type. They can also do San Da and not be accused of not doing kung fu

I really can't do the book justice, it's not a "how to" book or anything- it's a great glimpse into the temple and China.

The neat thing is that you get the sense of the monks as regular people.

didnt we go into this book in the media section?

it was a great read though.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    lol, he gets props from the Real Ultimate power dude on the back cover

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/1592...16#reader-link

thanks, MB I'll pick this up and save it for my trip to Jamaica.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Hi guys

Just got back from Shaolin a few days ago.

Was reading the book while we were up there and just finished it yesterday.

It was great.

One thing though.....

I was flicking through the photo section in the book and discovered that we had eaten at a dinner banquet with "Deputy Leader Jiao"...very funny, the table had a motorised lazy susan with a miniture scale model of the temple and mountains etc..this was one of the banquet rooms in the Wushu Guan restaurant.

At the dinner we were telling him about the book (or our master was who was translating) but he was not sure if he had heard of it...we were going to go and grab the book to show him but there had been far to much rice wine consumed. We thought it was him.. then when we got back to our room to check and we confirmed it the book had an even bigger impact on us

Our master taught up there in 1982 and Master Jiao was one of his students.

Oh I wish I was back there and out of this office

Quote Originally Posted by Blacktiger View Post
    Hi guys

Just got back from Shaolin a few days ago.

Was reading the book while we were up there and just finished it yesterday.

It was great.

One thing though.....

I was flicking through the photo section in the book and discovered that we had eaten at a dinner banquet with "Deputy Leader Jiao"...very funny, the table had a motorised lazy susan with a miniture scale model of the temple and mountains etc..this was one of the banquet rooms in the Wushu Guan restaurant.

At the dinner we were telling him about the book (or our master was who was translating) but he was not sure if he had heard of it...we were going to go and grab the book to show him but there had been far to much rice wine consumed. We thought it was him.. then when we got back to our room to check and we confirmed it the book had an even bigger impact on us

Our master taught up there in 1982 and Master Jiao was one of his students.

Oh I wish I was back there and out of this office
    Wow, sorry for the very slow response. Glad you had a great trip! I love when random coincidences like that happen. Why, I had a similar random coincidence running into someone at the Wushu Guan too...

It was great fun -cant wait to go back for my next trip!!

Matt forwarded me this review...

...it was so funny, I nearly fell out of my chair. I'm now referring to my Shaolin shixiong as Uncle Tom Laowai.

Follow the link and read the comments. Matt chimes in and more hilarity ensues. Ultimately, Andy recommends the book.

January 30, 2008
    Book Review: American Shaolin
    by Andy Best

Every now and again, time and space just seem to line up in an incredible display of fate/coincidence (delete as appropriate). For months now, we have been trying to get to grips with the strange brand of Uncle Tom-ism on display in the Shanghai ex-pativerse. It has so many unique facets that it appears to defy summary or clear explanation. Then along came Matthew Polly who wrote American Shaolin, a book that sets it all out with the purpose and prose of a Plato’s Republic. Albeit unintentionally.

The book details Polly’s trip to China in 1992. Told as a series of anecdotes, he flies in to Beijing without a plan, makes his way to the Shaolin Temple and stays there for 18 months to learn kung fu. At the time, Polly was a highly motivated and intelligent Princeton student who’d studied Mandarin to a decent level before leaving for China. The story covers his first year, which ended with him being entered into a tournament in Zhengzhou City.

Polly is intelligent and open minded. He can speak Chinese and knows what is happening around him. He uses words like orientalism and peppers the story with measured observations and jokes about uptight neo-cons back home. He is both a likeable and capable storyteller and the book is an easy and entertaining read. It is for all these reasons that, when read on a macro level, the book is a tragedy on an oedipal eye-gouging level.

Within the first two months he finds out that Shaolin as it was ended in 1912 and attempts to restart it were literally bombed through the warlords period, pacific war, civil war and revolutions. The ‘kung fu’ he is learning is stylized dance taken from Modern Wushu and the iron body skills are individually trained circus routines. Yet he decides to stay and join the town’s kick boxing club.

Thereafter he learns kickboxing in rural Henan for USD1400 per month. That’s right. One anecdote has him proudly negotiate it down to USD600 per month. Still twenty times over the average family income in that area at the time and at least double that again over what other students pay. Everyone calls him laowai to his face and constantly refer to his ‘tall nose’. He is used as a punch bag for most of his training. "Why are laowai so bad at kungfu?" He takes bullies out for banquets and kowtows in the old style to a master who will never teach him – because he ‘understands’ guanxi.

By the time other “laowai” start turning up in Shaolin, Polly laughs at their strangeness and prides himself on being more ‘in’ than them. Oh, those crazy laowai. The most brutal picture of this is when he helps fellow American John Lee get attention at the hospital by reprising his “crazy monkey foreigner kung fu” routine that amused his Chinese friends so much. As for the kung fu itself, Polly is painfully naïve. He spends a whole chapter befriending a mysterious caretaker who eventually relents and teaches him “Iron Arm” kung fu. This turns out to be bashing your forearms into a tree in a pattern, then using Chinese medicine to treat it. This is a common warm up/conditioning routine found openly in all traditional kung fu classes from Hong Kong to American Chinatowns.

Finally, when facing his first skilled opponent he is beaten to a pulp while the crowd chant ‘kill the foreigner’. If only he’d taken good advice to go to Taiwan or Hong Kong in the first place. Or better still, if he was going to do kick boxing, a Muay Thai camp in Thailand. Instead he decides to pay outrageous amounts of money to learn plain kick boxing in a third-rate school (he names the better schools in China) while being used as the butt of all around him’s ignorance – all because of the name Shaolin and the strange driving desire to prove that he ‘understands’ his oppressors. Polly himself often refers to better schools and a more open life in Beijing and Shanghai, even Wuhan, but instead is proud to represent Shaolin in the tourney – despite all but one of his teachers and classmates refusing to march with him and making him enter as the Princeton Team, USA.

Polly recalls all of this with cheerful nostalgia. We all get into situations in life, at home and abroad, where people with power over us abuse it. Sometimes we have to make do, but we don’t have to like it. We certainly don’t have to happily reproduce that behaviour. Despite his intelligence and open attitude towards China, Polly seems happy to give examples of “Chinese” behaviour while also stressing the individual personalities of the people he meets. His mind remains blissfully conflict free while talking about stereotypes and struggles while himself using generalizations and the word “laowai” on every second page.

And therein lies the book’s unintentional insight into the mind of the Uncle Tom Laowai. Read the book. It is one of the great philosophical novels of our time.

American Shaolin by Matthew Polly (Gotham Books) can be found in Garden Books, on the corner of Changle Lu and Shanxi Nan Lu.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I met matt polly tonight actually. bought a copy of the book and he signed it. i mentioned knowing you gene. he talked for an hour or so about it to a group. he was in the area because his fiance is from the area.

i cant wait to dive in and read it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Aww shoot, SLL

I wish you had told me you were going to cross paths. I'd have set up some sort of prank for him through you. Maybe the Baron could have challenged his Shaolin KF skillz or something.

Hope you enjoy the book. It just got released in paperback.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

a prank could have been fun. lol. yeah i bought the hardcover edition. i didnt want to talk his ear off a lot of other people wanted to ask him questions. i couldnt think of anything to ask, i am reading the book now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.