Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: American Shaolin by Matt Polly

To All

Sorry this a bit late for this thread, but I wanted to thank my friend and Shaolin brother, Gene Ching, for moderating this discussion and publicizing "The Late, Late Show" interview. It's always nice to get a chance to help spread the reputation and fame of Shaolin, even for a humble disciple like me, who needs to work a bit on shortening his anecdotes for TV.

To answer a couple of questions that came up: I did post on Shaolin.nl several years ago. Mark Salzman wrote "Iron and Silk." My first book will be "American Shaolin," which hopefully will be out in a year or so. The Chinese characters on the leather jacket I wore on the show were "zai fang shi." They don't mean anything. The best bet is that they are someone's name. Who? No one knows.

Ferguson did cut me off at points, but that was the plan: I was supposed to tell the anecdotes, and he'd control the length of each. As to how the interview went, the producers were happy enough to invite me back. But I think the person who posted, "good, but not great" was right on the money. I was trying to simply not choke. Hopefully, my timing will get better with practice.

I appreciate all of you taking the time to watch and comment.

Best,
    Matthew Polly

PS Keep listening to Gene: he's a wise soul and has done a wonderful job promoting the true spirit of Shaolin over the last decade.
    Last edited by MatthewPolly; 04-20-2005 at 02:52 AM.

Welcome to the forum Matt...

that was me who said that, but I did put in under the circumstances....

Hell, I would have prob. choked. Congrats on getting invited back. Keep us updated on your book.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

Shixiong Matt

Keep listening to Gene: he's a wise soul
    Wow, have you been drinking again?
    Thanks for the props, bro, and welcome to our forums.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

May BB

Well, I was shocked to see my old shixiong Matt writing BB's *new* Shaolin Path column in the May 06 issue. That's the column that BB Hall of Fame member Steve DeMasco has been writing for the past issue or so. It was pretty high profile for them because DeMasco does videos and books for BB. I shot an email off to Matt and he was as shocked as I was. Apparently no one told him that he was published in BB. What's more, he submitted that article over a decade ago! Matt was pretty annoyed at the whole thing, especially with his book American Shaolin (not to be confused with DeMasco's book An American's Journey to Shaolin Temple) is in production. He said he'd contact BB about it. I got to confess I'm pretty amused by it all and I just couldn't resist sharing it here.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

gene, i just can not pick up that rag anymore. i am sorry. even with underwear tongs.

i still have half a shelf of BBs from the Shorin-ryu days... there IS some good content, but you have to browse thru so much else that I don't even look any more. sounds kind of close minded but how many 6 year old blackbelts do i really want to learn about? & 16 year old grandmasters etc. kara ho cough..

too bad because i do miss reading articles by Robert Chu, Doc Fai Wong, Dave Lowry... Gene had a good article with photos from inside Shaolin, with the story about the Red Turbans and Jinnaluo (sp?) etc. And Robert Chu never wrote a bad article imo, and i'm not even remotely a wing chunner.

i hate to be negative. lol that they published M Polly's article without notification and ten years after submission, if i read that right. lol
    but that's okay...as you all know, as we speak another 7 year old brown belt is getting ready to test for 1st black lmao. Outside of fever from illness, i don't think a kid that young is capable of even breaking a sweat. they are hell on oven-baked 3/8" pine planks, though.
    Master...Teach me kung fu.

well i did buy the one with the Chen Xiaowang on the cover though, the way i would buy a National Enquirer, if Shi Deyang was on the cover.
    Master...Teach me kung fu.

From Shaolin to Rio

Want to know what becomes of Shaolin disciples after they leave the temple? Check out my Shaolin Shixiong's latest article on Slate.com: Caipirinha Nights: An American in Rio . No, it doesn't have anything to do with Shaolin really, although there's some mention of BJJ on page 5. Other than that, there's sex and liquor, so it's a pretty entertaining read. Enjoy!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Watch this thread....

...it'll heat up in the beginning of 2007. Trust me. Here's a tip to get you Shaolin forum peeps in on it early - check out Matt's website. All will become very clear soon.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

hmmmm.....sounds interesting!
    "once, but that was a long time ago"

Hey bro!

Good to see your still out here! Matt's book, American Shaolin, is scheduled for release by Gotham books (part of Penguin) in February 2007. I've read the galley - it's a great read. A lot of the stories you and I have heard already, KFD, but I'm sure you'll still enjoy it. I think most everyone here will enjoy it.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I have read a draft of American Shaolin and it was excellent. It is extremely funny in parts as well as having some really touching insights about Chinese culture.

The Book Tour

Matt has redone his website and has posted some preliminary dates for his book tour. Check it out. If he comes to your area, it's worth checking out. I'm sure if you drop my name and say 'turn left and spit' he'll sign a book for you.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

American Shaolin

First, I want to thank my Shaolin brother, Gene Ching, for keeping this thread alive. It is been my great honor to know him since he first visited the Shaolin Temple.

Many moons ago, the abbot of the Shaolin Temple asked me to write something to help promote Shaolin culture in the West. I am happy and relieved to say that last week it finally happened with the official launch of American Shaolin. I couldn't have done it without Gene's steadfast help. He read the manuscript three times, helping me to avoid numerous errors.

I will be travelling around the country on a book tour in March. It'd be great to see some of you. Gene and I will be meeting in San Francisco, and there will be a live performance by a Shaolin monk. If you are interested you can find details here.

I will also be checking this forum frequently. So if you have any questions about the book, I'd be happy to answer them.

Amituofo,
    Matthew Polly

Still trying to figure out how you could have been 6'3" and 98 lbs... were you an anorexic male model or something? LOL

15. I found the book at my local Border's and started reading it today. It is very interesting.