Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: American Shaolin by Matt Polly

Reading it right now......

So, if the movie gets made....who's gonna play the young skin and bones MAtt Polly?

Calista Flockheart?

If you're smart, you'll bully your Fox agents until they get Tony Jaa to play you....

Seriously, though, how cool would that be?

Tony Jaa

Tony Jaa would be totally cool. I'm not sure, however, how well he could portray a skinny white kid from Kansas. But the knee attacks would be spectacular.

Personally, I like Topher Grace from "That 70s Show." But the studio doesn't ask me what I think.

So glad everyone is enjoying the book. I hope you'll spread the word. It's be awesome if the general public discovered why the Shaolin Temple and its monks are so amazing.

Best,
    Matthew Polly
    www.mattpolly.com

I read a snippet on your website, which Gene linked us to one time. It was catching writing, so I pre-ordered a copy of the book.

Nicely done, man.

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewPolly View Post
    Tony Jaa would be totally cool. I'm not sure, however, how well he could portray a skinny white kid from Kansas.
    Two words, special effects.

If we can get Keanu Reeves doing kung fu, I'm sure Industrial Light and Magic could turn Tony Jaa into a midwestern skinny white kid.

Or didn't you see that movie Soul Man?

http://www.amazon.com/Soul-Man-C-Tho...?ie=UTF8&s=dvd

Really enjoyed the book. Thought the political comentary on the Bush's really drove home your isolation and naiveness, presenting a very clear picture of how fresh your perspective was.

But really, I s@cked down the book in one two-hour flight. It was an engaging, fun, breezy read... this book will make a great 'entry level' reading for those I meet that don't get how wonderful the world really is and how different cultures can make the world a more interesting place.
    www.kungnation.com

Pre-order Kung! Twisted Barbarian Felony from your favorite comic shop!

Anyone going to Matt's book signing/readings?

I'll be at the two this weekend:
    March 4 (Sunday) 4:00 p.m. Book Passage, 51 Tamal Vista Blvd., Corte Madera, CA
    March 5 (Monday) 7:00 p.m. Cody's Books, 2 Stockton Street, San Francisco, CA

Looking forward to seeing Matt again. Hope to see some of you all too!
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Any in Chicago?
    Hung Sing Martial Arts Association
    Self Protection, Self Confidence, Physical Fitness
    www.HungSingChoyLayFut.com

Martial Arts Training and fitness Blog
    http://hungsingmartialarts.blogspot.com/

Go to Matt's site

His whole tour is online. The link is on Matt's sig above.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

near chicago

it looks like the closest is back home in topeka kansas.

It was great to see Matt again

It was also great to spend time in two surviving independent bookstores. There was a nice turnout for his reading and he was well received. I brought Shi Yan Fei of U.S. O-Mei to both readings, and he did a short demo of baduanjin and qixing tanglang. Gotta support my Shaolin shixiong Matt.

It's rare that a martial arts book crosses over into pop literature. There's occassional works by martial celebs, like Norris, Carridine or even Shamrock's book, but this is different since it's not coming from a spotlit perspective. I think the last, and perhaps only, example was Mark Saltzman's Iron and Silk. I really encourage you all to support American Shaolin, not only because it's an outstanding read, but also to help encourage the publication of more books like this. It can only benefit the advancement of the martial arts.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

hey, look at this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXaKYxQWN4A

who's that tall guy back there by the picture?

Nice scoop LFJ

That's footage from Matt's book launch. We have a small news item in our next issue, currently at print, about this.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Matt has a great sense of humor. I laughed so hard when he was talking about walking hand-in-hand with Dequing, his "Grecian dream", the sixth evolution guy (is he net-accessible?), and the Iron Dong escapade.

Very tongue-in-cheek, and not afraid to make himself the butt of a joke.

He reminds me of myself at a much older age.

Good luck in the future, Matt. Any plans for further books? (any subject/genre)

Also.....are they going to try and get any real monks into the movie....like Deqing, Coach Cheng, or your iron forearm teacher? Or.....that hot chick Deqing turned down? That would be cool......for them, especially, since many of them wanted their shot at hollywood. Who knows? Could be a big break.....they're much older now, I know....but a cameo would still be cool, right?
    Last edited by Shaolin Wookie; 03-11-2007 at 08:21 AM.

American Shaolin

Was at the best bookstore in the world this weekend looking for a new book. (Powell's Books)

well as usual i found myself drawn back to the martial arts section to see if anything was there i hadnt seen the last 500 time i checked.

well there was.

i almost didnt buy it, now im kind of glad i did. its a good read for hearing the mans experience at the very least.

American Shaolin.

Im only on page 83 but so far a pretty good read, entertaining for sure.

so you dont have to search for what its about.

Matthew Polly wrote about his experience of becoming the first American to be accepted as a disciple of Shaolin temple.

if you like stuff like this, the guy does a great job of spinning his tale.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!