Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: COC Grippers - Where to start

COC Grippers - Where to start

I am wondering which gripper to buy. I hate to waste money. My grip has never been super strong, nor super weak. I can grab those cheap store grippers (black), and rep them fast. But I have a feeling they are nothing like the COC's. I can hold a 300 lbs. + barbell in my hands up to around 350 most likely. I don't know if that really and truly correlates to closing strength or not.

So, that is all the info. I can give. How are you other guys doing with them? For those that started with the trainer and number 1, how much weight can you deadlift, or rather, hold in your grip with a barbell? That is the only quantifiable thing I have right now. I remember when I could not even hold 225 lbs. off a clean rack.

Thanks.

I started by buying the Trainer and the Level 1. I'm glad I did. The Trainer is plenty for me to work on right now. Some people can close a number one right off the bat. If you want to gamble, order the #1 and if you have trouble with it, order the trainer. You'll need the #1 eventually anyway, and you'll only be out the extra shipping for ordering them separately.
    The cinnabun palm is deadly, especially when combined with the tomato kick. - TenTigers

I started with a Trainer and #1 as well. I got a #2 further down the road.

Trainer.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

buy a gripper one number up...

...if you want to improve your chances of closing the level you are on. I am close to closing the #2. I am doing negatives every two or three days, starting out with at least twelve repetitions with the #1. I plan on buying the #3 soon to close the #2.

Practice with them twice a week at first. Then, maybe, work up to three days a week. These require a lot out of your whole body when you think about it. Your fingers, hands, wrists, forearms, elbows, etc. all come into play if you really try to hold the grip.

And your hands and fingers will callous rather quickly, so take care.

I believe that anyone can close these as long as she or he is consistent in her or his training.

Doug M

CD Lee,

Everyone's advice has always seemed to be get the #T and #1, but I went with the #1 and #2 anyway. No regrets. It was kind of a shock how strong they were when I first gave it a go, but I'm doing 5 x 5's and 4 x 6's on the #1 after having it for a month. I think I started off doing multiple sets x 4's. I haven't tried to see how much I can rep in a row. Not even close to closing the #2 yet. The trainer might be fun for high reps. I wouldn't mind having one if shipping wasn't so much to Oz (I paid US$20 shipping for 2 grippers). If I ever get the #3, I might get the #T as well for fun.

FYI, I'm DLing 5 x 286 with both hands supinated, no straps. I'm like you, not super strong or super weak. Never really concentrated on forearms before, although I've been doing 22lb wrist rollers for a while.

I train them twice a week. Your forearms will feel it the next day. Like Doug says, I contract my whole upper body on the side I'm doing. Chest, lats, shoulder, whole arm.

Callouses? I've had them for 15 yrs. I like the rough feel of the gripper. Certainly no slipping.

Hope that helps.

a coc gripper huh?
    yah
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

What's wrong? You afraid of gripping some coc?

Toby

Wow. I recently ended a cycle on DL's at 280 x 5 supinated for three reps, and had to alternate the last two. Amazingly close to what you are doing. That gives me some idea of where I might stand with a gripper.

I appreciate the advice here on the forum. Looks like I will be gearing up for some COC grippers for Christmas this year. Why hit an opponent, when you can reach out and crush them?

what are COC grippers? can someone put a pic? they sound lovely...

Originally posted by Ford Prefect
    What's wrong? You afraid of gripping some coc?
    rofl!!!!!

not the best figures of speech when you realize that COC means captains of crush.
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA

Captains of Crush

Originally posted by Qigong
    what are COC grippers? can someone put a pic? they sound lovely...
    found at http://www.ironmind.com
    Wing Chun has lots of sayings. If sayings won fights, WC would rule the world (presumably by talking its opponents to death).

Empirical evidence strongly suggests this has yet to happen.

--anerlich

A unique snowflake

^ No, you probably had them on the page but the address didn't reflect that cuz it's all done with frames.

Here is a small pic and some info.