Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Historical Fencing

Originally posted by FatherDog

Blade > Blade II
    Ya think?! I loved em both. But if I had to choose, I think Blade 2 would choke Blade.
    When you assume, you make an ass out of... pretty much just you, really.

Blade is more of a badass in blade then in blade II, but blade II has those oh-so-excellent touched up fight scenes, WWE style.

strike!

Originally posted by apoweyn

Ya think?! I loved em both. But if I had to choose, I think Blade 2 would choke Blade.
    I thought they were both enjoyable movies (Blade in particular gets props for doing all the wire-fu and special camera angle effects the first Matrix was getting geeks all wet over, before the Matrix). Blade > Blade II because Blade has far fewer moments where you go "What the fuck? What? Why would he do that? Even if that were true, it makes no sense!"
    "hey pal, you wanna do the dance of destruction with the belle of the ball, just say the word." -apoweyn

True. But I loves me some Guillermo del Toro. And I thought that Nomak was a much more compelling villain than Stephen Dorff's Deacon Frost was.

But I hear ya.

Swordfight with the fem vampire was hot.

strike!

Didja see in the extra features where they had some scenes with him wearing a platinum blond wig in addition to the nosferatu makeup? Boy, am I glad they changed their mind about that!

Anyway, I saw a preview for Guillermo Del Toro's Hellboy when I watched Bad Santa last week, and...I dunno. Most of what I love about Hellboy is Mignola's art, and although GDT has a great ability to get his movies looking right, it's just not the same without that great nervous pen line.

Anyway, you kids go back to talking about fencing now. All I know about fencing is where to get rid of some stolen car stereos.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

Can't be any worse than the blond mullet wig they've got Taimak wearing for the live stage production of Road House. Where the hell was the "no" man on that one?!

I just saw the Hellboy preview myself. I've never read Hellboy, but the flick looks entertaining. And if nothing else, we should thank Guillermo del Toro for keeping Ron Perlman off the streets.

Rumour has it that GDT wants to do a big production of Lovecraft's Beyond the Mountains of Madness. And on that day, I will die a happy geek.

Stuart B.

http://www.hellboy.com

Waste time at work while reading Hellboy online comics!

A public service announcement brought to you by the Make Dreams Come True for Geeks Foundation.

GDT and HPL, eh? Intriguing...
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

Aha! I'll definitely be perusing this site when I've got the GREs out of the way.

I've read (and own) all the Hellboy stuff, and I'm quite looking forward to the movie. I do love Mignola's art, but short of doing an animated feature, you're not getting that. What they are getting is the correct /look/, though. Perlman was born to play Hellboy the same way Dafoe was born to play the Green Goblin. And Mignola's been heavily involved with the movie production. To the point that Guillermo's basically going to him every day saying "Does this look right?"

Interestingly, DelToro's said that if the movie does well, they may be optioning an animated series for Adult Swim.
    "hey pal, you wanna do the dance of destruction with the belle of the ball, just say the word." -apoweyn

And then there's Blade 3: Trinity.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    since this thread has gone to pieces...

read "The Stand" in 1981. Saw "Streets of Fire" a couple of years later and just knew that if they did a movie of "The Stand" that Willem Defoe had to be The Walking Dude. No such luck tho.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

I wish they would do a movie of The Mote in Gods Eye

That would just be wow.

strike!

Or LN's Ringworld.... but it would prolly get all messed up like Starship Troopers did.

strike!

dude?

I think Gene Ching is a fencing dude.
    Guilty as charged. I fencing NCAA for SJSU as captain of the Epee squad under the late great Maestro Michael D'saro. I also earned two provost master degrees, one from the governing body of US fencing masters (USFMCA if memory serves) and one from the US Army (seriously, I was one of the last to go through that program).

But this thread is not really about fencing anymore, is it?
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart