Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Historical Fencing

Huh. I'll have to look out for that.

Cheers Ky Fi.
    When you assume, you make an ass out of... pretty much just you, really.

Originally posted by yenhoi
    I wish they would do a movie of The Mote in Gods Eye

That would just be wow.

I'd like to see a Niven/Purnell (sp?) Inferno movie. Bille the Kid meets Il Duce. Party on.
    BreakProof BackŪ Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

the flick

A good fencer, traditional or not, can deal with the flick. It's part of the modern game, like dealing with the body cord. There have even been specific modifications to cope with whipover in electric saber. Today, a lot of so-called 'traditionalists' use the flick as another excuse for not getting winning results.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Re: the flick

Originally posted by GeneChing
    A good fencer, traditional or not, can deal with the flick. It's part of the modern game, like dealing with the body cord. There have even been specific modifications to cope with whipover in electric saber. Today, a lot of so-called 'traditionalists' use the flick as another excuse for not getting winning results.
    I plan on blaming society. Or Cthulhu.

I plan on blaming society
    Ap - That's bulsh!t. You're a white suburban punk just like me.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    he's worse, that's why he's blaming Cthulu as well.

[hijack]

speaking of Cthulu, anyone else think last nights episode of Southpark was hilarious?

[/hijack]
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Originally posted by No_Know
    apoweyne, Staff-fighting seems fencing-ish. The front hand is a guide. The rear hand pulls the staff through the guide hand redirects the staff tip as one would a pool cue.. pulling and pushing can avoid parries. The side of the staff deflects incomming.
    Makes sense. Lack of experience means that I'm basically from the 'hold it in the middle and flail' school of longstaff fighting. But I picked up a couple of padded longstaffs recently. So perhaps I'll have to recruit some of you fine folks to help me experiment later.

Sidestepping in ~fencing...The point seems who's best at same line combat. To win at this is distance-deception. Stepping should be short-ish. With elbow at ribsweight on rear leg with a short stance but bent front leg. To appear weighted (deceive that you can't move back). From here, shift weight forward while keeping same leg bend(for the most part. Or parry keeping your arm short so that your true reach cannot be gagued (excpet guess~)
    Exactly. There's a lot of deception in terms of timing, distance, reach, etc. Just the tactics for getting around the opponent's weapon in such tight quarters are amazing to me. As much as I want to move laterally, the focus you're forced to put on back and forth in fencing really lends you insight into timing and wotnot.

Advance with front on center; short lunge to head; stepp rear foot off center (three to six inches); when you defend and yield back, not on your rear leg which would turn you;rear from front leg to make it seem as though you have both feet on center. Keep sword hilt on center. Quick pull of sword hand then shift to side ****hest from opponent (three or four inches) while bringing-up rear foot still off center (not passing heel of the front foot). Weight shift forward withOut stepyou are now thrusting off center. Hopefully this helps, and is an advantage you can learn to take.
    Oh it helps.

Making basics edgey makes Masters. If you are studying lunge then play with distance of step, weight when landing, parry when landing/or after hit/or recovering from parried attempt.And elbow extension with each movement, hold the thrust until after the weightshift.
    That's the nice thing about a limited skill set. You learn to manipulate tiny little variables that make all the difference.

As for parrying, short power. Whacking with little effort to make a way clear to thrust.

Push/pull do this drill to improve I might think.
    The beat has become one of my favorite maneuvers. Gots to get my beat on.

Man, that sounds wrong.

Stuart B.

speaking of Cthulu, anyone else think last nights episode of Southpark was hilarious?
    I'm not going to live in a 3rd world country with all those conformists.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Repo Man would choke out South Park.

Well, actually I guess it's pretty close...to close to call, even.

Originally posted by Chang Style Novice
    Ap - That's bulsh!t. You're a white suburban punk just like me.
    You don't know the first thing about me, pal. I grew up on the mean streets of Annapolis. I had this friend, Trevor, who got killed just 'cause some punk wanted his docksiders! Nevermind what happens when you wander over to the other side of the yacht club wearing the wrong colour sweater around your neck.

D*mn.

Originally posted by Oso
    he's worse, that's why he's blaming Cthulu as well.

[hijack]

[/hijack]
    Cthulhu was on South Park?

I'm glad I tortured you!

only in that Cthulu is gothic flavored horror, or is in my head anyway, and they ripped on the goth lifestyle last night.

but, if I remember correctly, they did have a Cthulu specific monster on there some episodes back.

btw, can you explain the difference between witik and abinico.
    when you are saying flick and witik, I'm thinking a short abinico.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

An abaniko is a specific sort of witik. Witik just means 'flick.' Perhaps not literally, but in essence.

Abaniko means 'fan.' You know what it looks like, but for the viewers at home, it's essentially a rotation of the wrist so that the stick hits the target first on one side then on the other. The arc of the stick resembles a fan.

Sometimes it's called abaniko witik, but that's kinda redundant, so it's usually just abaniko. (I can't really imagine how that maneuver would work without flicking.)

A backhand witik would be a flicking motion of the stick, so that the point of the stick goes around a block and hits the target (as opposed to a slash, which would get blocked). Forehand witik would be the same deal.

I'm sure there are various ways to use the witik with different strikes. But the net effect is that by turning the wrist, you make contact with the point of the stick rather than the length of it.

And while it may be kind of a cheapy in fencing, it hurts like a mutha with a stick (as I'm sure you can attest).

Stuart B.

ok, so a witik would be a flick in any direction while the abanico is rotating around the forearm centerline perpendicularly. never heard the term witik in the Presas camp. but, I do love some abanico action.

so, bust this myth for me, I was told that each of the old tyme escrimadors would have their signature sequence that was how they won all their matches. We were taught Remy's, and I saw Remy demo it once. I still flail around with it regularly because myth or no, i think it's a pretty decent combination.