Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did you complain about XMA

Did you complain about XMA

If not then get over to Discovery.com and do so.

For reference here's I sent them:

Real martial arts have names like JowGa, Kyokushinkaikan and Brazilian jujutsu to name a few. None of these were mentioned on your program.

A while back you did a couple of martial art specials. I really enjoyed the segment of the program (the name of which I can't recall)you did with Wade Chroninger and the "Kung Fu Warrior" special with Cung Le. Those guys were real martial artists. I was hoping that XMA would be balanced out with something similar.

Xtreme MA wasn't extreme in any sense. Yeah the guys were gifted athletes but so was Mary Lou Retton. Mary doesn't pretend to be doing anything but gymnastics though. The forms competitions were a mix of a screaming contest with glorified ballet.

Concerning the bald guy. No real martial artist who has drawn or lost blood in a dojo or match or streetfight will claim to get fired up at the sight of blood and certainly wouldn't brag about shanking someone. The bald guy's statement indicates that he's a wannabe who's never had the displeasure of so much as a bloody nose.

When the human heart rate gets above 120 bpm as it does in a violent encounter fine and complex motor skills disappear. Thus the complicated moves demonstrated by these guys would be useless in a real fight.

Matt's kickboxing training will do him more good than 100 years of dojo ballet. I give him credit for having the good sense to train in it. However it's a waste of talent to compete in point karate tournaments. BTW if I had been judging he would have won his fight. He did win but the victory was GIVEN to his opponent.

Here are some clips of real martial artists competing.

http://emptyflower.stanford.edu/johnwang1.html

http://members.tripod.com/shaolinwushu/movies.htm

Look at this clip to see what happens when a point fighter meets a real fighter:

http://www.muaythai.fi/assets/videot/mastercup.mpg

Please next time you do a martial arts special consult some real martia artists. XMA was neither extreme nor martial arts. It was fight choreography done by oversized egos.

Once again, it wasn't a documentary about MA in general...it was a documentary about XMA. Mentioning MMA, thai boxing, kali or anything else would've been beyond the scope of the documentary, unless one of the guys on team XMA was filming it.

However, the bald guy was quite a putz...
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

who cares what people think
    I do not ever see Sifu do anything that could be construed as a hula dancer- hasayfu

Re: Did you complain about XMA

Originally posted by bustr
    Concerning the bald guy. No real martial artist who has drawn or lost blood in a dojo or match or streetfight will claim to get fired up at the sight of blood and certainly wouldn't brag about shanking someone. The bald guy's statement indicates that he's a wannabe who's never had the displeasure of so much as a bloody nose.
    You would be referring to Arnold Chon. I had a few issues with this part as well, mainly because my boys were watching the program and it ****ed me off that someone would be so stupid to say that.

I have a feeling there was more to this show than what was "put on".

Arnold Chon on IMDB.com
    The greatest thing about me is that I know that I am the ONLY one that knows the truth about all! Damo lives within me, and me ONLY - for there is nobody that knows the truth more - so stick that in your pipe and smoke it sparky's!!!

My mother told me that If I didn't have anything nice to say...post it on a forum for fake martial arts...
    CPA's current P4P List:
    -Bas Rutten
    -Captain Jack Sparrow
    -Cindy Lauper
    -Lester Moonvest

Hey, fix the link of the point fighter vs. real fighter. I need a good laugh.
    CPA's current P4P List:
    -Bas Rutten
    -Captain Jack Sparrow
    -Cindy Lauper
    -Lester Moonvest

Talking Actually...

XMA scares the hell out of me.

Just look at the legions of fans out there. It's Mcdojo central. I think it will push their industry business to a great new height if Ms B. Spears were to join the XMA team. Just think about the theme songs to every kata that they made up. Man, it will be DVDs after DVDs. Imagine, a guy or gal swinging 2 nanchus on a sunny beach with a catchy tune from Ms Spears. It's a lot of dough we are talking about.

I couldn't help but think of their "tournaments" like conventions that buy and sell action figure heroes - life size action figures that is. "Oh look, there's wonderboy doing that cool move there... " The buying power of the fans are not to be mess with! LOL...

Mantis108
    Last edited by mantis108; 12-05-2003 at 05:43 PM.
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

Re: Did you complain about XMA

Originally posted by bustr
    When the human heart rate gets above 120 bpm as it does in a violent encounter fine and complex motor skills disappear.
    This is a myth. What you are unable to perform are any learned (fine or gross) movement sequences that have been not been fully integrated into the neuromusclular pathways.

I happen to agree with that last statement.

but those are the views as presented by the xma. Nowhere did they claim to represent all martial arts as a whole. IMO, it wasn't misleadining - it was nothing more than a documentary of a tournament karate team.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Don't forget the Drunken Kung Fu.
    BreakProof BackŪ Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

"when i get blood on it, yewah i go nuts!"

hahahah i was like "wtf mate" when i saw the guy tlaking.

i did'nt make it past the part with the dao. but, i might go complain anyways. i say we flood the page with our negative feedback.

I met Arnold a few times. He's actually a former resident of VA. He's a great form guy...and yes he's been in some street fights. Yes he can fight for real not doing his forms though...just basic kickboxing work. And yes...he'll get killed by a MMA guy simply cause his training is more for hollywood stuff.
    A

QUIZ

Originally posted by EmptyCup
    drunken kung fu

give it such a bad name. and the quiz on that...drunken kung fu has to be based on monkey?! what ever happened to the 8 immortals?
    YEAH, and i missed a question b/c i said taekwondo originated from japan (ie japanese karate), and they said i was completely wrong...that it evolved from ancient korean warfare