Thread: What do/don't you consider as being "Shaolin" ?

Threaded View

Originally posted by Scythefall
    Basically, for a school to claim Shaolin lineage I look for the following:

1. Temple Exercises - Muscle/Tendon Change, Golden Bell/IronShirt, traditional warm ups.

2. Forms to include Longfist and the Shaolin 10 fist sets. You should also have a healthy availability of animal forms.

3. Tai Chi. Meditation, and Chi Gung to be emphasised for well-rounded training.

Some of my earliest learnings were that the kung fu is only part of being Lohan and I came to understand that rather quickly.
    there are alot off shaolin schools world wide, including in deng feng. Shaolin school gong and true shaolin temple gong are often through subleties very but definately different. Think about that. It's the 100% no muck about , every day, second and movement dedication that makes shaolin what it is....... (how many of you are sincerely prepared to give that)...At the temple, to be recognised as a martial monk you need to have comitted to buddhism firstly, being this is what shaolin kung fu was born from (so needing to understand and practice that to "claim" shaolin gong), then..... of those buddhist practitioners claiming discipleship, there are several levels of duty, acknowledgement and appointment (who might I add now don't even need full indocrination, taking soft option, lacking comittent, coprimising integrity , honour ( yes..I said that)and qi (does buddha ask too much?!?)

This is not JUST religious dogma ( especially and ironically considering this is a religion that has no god). When you comprimise these standards of necceissty through either ignorance or arrogance, you comprimise your qi..do not have to practice hard qi gong and cease to perpetuate through high level cultivation. I am wearing slack here from people who can't look truth in the face...but truth and I are very good friends and I will stand reguardless...because I will help the weak and I will ( as all ch'an buddhists do) and I will renounce my nirvana for evoloution of humanity as is the nature of this branch of mahayana. Still wish to claim.........????? Neehao to you and welcome again to the story of the universe.

Shi guolin ( shaolin-overseas.org/) and xing ping(americaneuropeanshaolin.com) have very good information on their websites, as does russbo.com. These are open for access. Pls see also www.goju-ryo.com.info/links and/or www.kunfu-taichi.com for some good links and reads.

fruitful journeys to all

blooming lotus
    Last edited by blooming lotus; 12-13-2003 at 05:31 PM.