ok, the term "Shaolin" basically is a generic term of styles that came from, developed from, or influenced by the martial arts of the Shaolin temple in the northern part of China.

However, what I would like to hear is where does people draw the line between Shaolin and not Shaolin ?

When someone says "I train the style of Shaolin", which do you accept and disregard as being what he is possibly practicing.

Styles such as Northern Shaolin, Mizong, Lohan, Erlang, Yin Ching, etc I would definately consider as being Shaolin. I would even accept Baji and Piqua as well.

However, things like eagle claw becomes rather blurry.

Praying Mantis I believe is even further. So I don't consider that as being "Shaolin" Shaolin. Just a style that was developed from it.

Internal arts I would not consider.

Under the premise that the Southern temple did not exist, I would say that most southern arts are not Shaolin either. If you disagree with that premise, then same question applies, which styles do you consider as being too far away to be considered when someone says "I train the art of Shaolin" to you ?