Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: write a list of wah lum forms that you know

SD

i agree with mantiskilla, sounds like a poor reason to join and organization. I think Yao left, i don't think he was kicked out(i may be wrong)
    What forms do you like? If it stuff you see in tournaments, most of that is thrown together, usually not the real form.
    If you plan on leaving Yao, just ask him if he will teach you the wah lum forms, if he gets mad, you didn't lose anything because you plan on leaving anyway.

i agree with mantiskilla, sounds like a poor reason to join and organization. I think Yao left, i don't think he was kicked out(i may be wrong)
    What forms do you like? If it stuff you see in tournaments, most of that is thrown together, usually not the real form.
    If you plan on leaving Yao, just ask him if he will teach you the wah lum forms, if he gets mad, you didn't lose anything because you plan on leaving anyway.

I think if I ask Yao to teach me wah lum forms he will. I'm special. I've only seen these wah lum forms that yao taught to us. cane, double sai's, butterfly knives, some staff form, kwan dao, a few moves of a mantis form, drunken fist, 3 section staff, continuous broadsword, 18 kicks, plum flower fist, parts of a double daggers form, plum flower spear, another broadsword form that starts out in a horse stance while holding it on your right hand. I don't know any of these, only my si hing's do. there's also a double straight sword form that looks very feminine. I don't know if that is wah lum or not but it's listed in the tradtional section on our website.
    www.taichi.com

Mantiskilla

Your last post was priceless... we have alot in common!

Shaolin Dude
    Don't ask anyone for advice concerning YOUR likes, dislikes and dreams. Go in the direction YOU want to go and ignore the detractors. If you like modern Wu Shu and are more interested in the art then fine. If you like the Wah Lum sets and performances then go in that direction. Wherever you go just avoid the politics and train.

mantiskilla
    You must be another one of the clueless ex-WL students that never made the connection between forms and fighting. Sorry to hear that. Hopefully now someone is explaining it to you in simple term you can understand. Stop by the Temple anytime, ask for me, and I'll answer any questions you have about applications of WL techniques from whatever forms you learned.

Lightbulb

I'll ride up there with you B. Sounds like a good time.

RibHit
    fm
    RibHit
    “Being fast is fine but accuracy is everything.”
    Wyatt Erupt
    Feeling jumpy!!!
    Thread Killer...>>>
    Tommy M

HUA LIN,
    you dont know what you are talking about, but that is ok. maybe if i had trained at the temple i would have learned, dont know. not sure about going to the temple, but i would love to meet with you and maybe you could show me what you are talking about. maybe i am slow, but visuals would be helpful. pm me if you are interested. same goes for you T.
    Just smash it.

Wandering Greatly

This thread has about reached its end with the original intent. Please start a new thread if you want to talk on another topic.
    Thanks & as always,
    Best Wishes.
    ~BTL
    How many identities does a Troll need?
    Didn't think I knew did you??
    I know a lot of things.
    You won't like me in person either.
    Confused?? Don't be.
    LOL!

Hua Lin Laoshi

LOL You absolutely crack me up. What`s with this stop by the Temple stuff? Are you the WL representative for applications of techniques? Well then, tell me about the three rolling backfists in LOG? (for starters)

And just to let you know, I`m willing to pay your way when Master Shr Zhengzhong comes in, seeing you don`t have much money. Is this OK with you?

BTL, to get this thread back on track, I say we list the WL forms we know, and go from there.

Hua Lin Laishi

You should really take up my Shifu's offer and come to train with Master Shr. It would greatly benefit your view on things I think. I am currently in Tainan and witness Master Shr's martial abilty often. Very much so worth the gas money it would cost you to drive from the temple to Pong Lai school in Tampa, hope to see you there.......

For the sake of the thread, I knew 8 chain punch, but followed my Shifu (Yu Shan) onto a more applicable style.

are any of you in this picture?

SD

Nope,
    It is from left to right, Dale Herring, Bob Rosen, Jeff Naayers and then Tom Hausse and of course Master Chan in front
    Last edited by 18elders; 07-21-2004 at 06:11 AM.

BTL will probably be ending this soon but no, I'm not the WL representative for applications of techniques. I just happen to be open about what I know and willing to share with others.

LOG rolling backfists break down opponents defense, also can attack the arms, doesn't have to be 3 times, can be used to block covering almost 180 degree radius. Here's the fun part, think of it in reverse. Don't focus on the direction of the strike. Focus on the direction of the following move. It is now deflecting opponents punches to the side in preperation for the Cern Chung Choy.

The 3 Gwa Choys in 3 directions are attacking a moving opponent. After the last Gwa Choy opponent moves to your left and punches. Rolling Gwa Choy deflects punches to the right then attack with Cern Chung Choy.

I'll take that free seminar now.

Metal Mantis
    No offense to you or your Sifu but if you only learned 8 Chain Punch then you're forming an opinion of WL based on someone who admittedly doesn't understand what he learned. That's hardly a fair assessment of the style. So how do you really know what you're learning now is more applicable?

The other guy in the picture is Jeff Naayers.

Now to stay somewhat on topic, I know less WL forms than yu shan and 18elders (they were Sifus long before me) but I feel
    I understand the moves better than they do (judging by their posts). This came from asking questions and studying the moves instead of just jumping into the next form. I've got most of the known curriculum as published in the latest handbook and that's probably as far as I'll get. There was no curriculum when Yao Li studied and a few sets have been added since then.

HLL

I think yu was just messing with you on that one!!(3 backfists).
    You miss the point in what we talk about but that is okay, im not going to argue it here, just come and talk to master shr if nothing else and he will explain it to you.
    As far as your apps, that is your opinion, im sure our execution will differ. I don't think i just jumped from form to form since we didn't have a sifu for a long time. There is a difference in dreaming up and actually learning what it is. Master shr will tell you his teachers taught him apps that you would never have dreamed would have come from the move in a million years. The forms have hidden moves in them for a reason.

Anyway, sorry you couldn't make it to the tournament, it was good, saw alot of old friends had a good time and me an yu worked out a little

I'll agree that there is an intended, or original, app for a move but that doesn't make any other use less valid. I don't think it hurts any less if it's a discovered app. I'm sure there are other uses that I haven't thought of or learned but can you prove that was the original intent of a move that is over 400 years old? Are you saying none of the past Masters added anything new in the way of apps or uses for existing moves?

You imply fakery when you say 'dreamed up' as if nobody could ever discover a valid use for a move. Sorry, but I believe there's more than one way to skin a cat.

BTW, I have no reason to think you guys are lying when you say you had no clue about WL techniques and were taught zero applications. I answered his question. I didn't say figure it out, or danced around the subject. You don't have to agree with it, I don't care much for some of your apps either (the arm hooking in Sup Baat Sow, in my opinion, is better in the Kenpo and Wah Lum version). Feel free to show me something better. I'm open.

You know, I'm a backyard mechanic. I use screwdrivers also as chisels and prybars. The intended use is for turning screws but they work quite well in other ways and it seems to get the job done. You can also stab someone to death with it like a knife (or so I've heard). Guess my Kung Fu is the same.
    Last edited by Hua Lin Laoshi; 07-21-2004 at 09:03 AM.

HLL

Use the knife on me so i get a clean cut.