Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: write a list of wah lum forms that you know

forms

wah lum taught by Lee Kwan Shan had 12 forms.

what is taught now is stuff MC has added to his branch of WL but i do not think it includes the original 12 taught by LKS.

Where are the other Wah Lum classmates that Chan Poi trained with, today? Were Chan Wan Ching and Chan Poi the only Wah Lum students of Lee Kwan Shan? I assumed there were more students that were older than Chan Poi had finished the Wah Lum system. And at least another Wah Lum classmate of Chan Poi's, that maybe learned the whole system as well, might still be alive and teaching Wah Lum out there somewhere and have no affiliation with Chan Poi's Wah Lum organization.

How come there is so very little history and information on Lee Kwan Shan and Chan Wan Ching? And on Abbot Ching Yueng, Lee Kwan Shan's teacher? How was Wah Lum developed and which Mantis style was Wah Lum developed off of? Who was Ching Yueng's teacher? These questions I have been curious for several years because I like to research the history of alot of different styles and it's practicioners/masters. But it had been difficult for me to find these answers. I failed to ask these questions when I was training in Wah Lum way back because I was new to Kung Fu at the time and didn't think of such questions as I was 18 at the time.

Yao Li quit WL to study Wu Shu so all the forms he has are probably Wu Shu forms and not Wah Lum.

18 Elders, Has anyone learned the Fire wheels?

woliveri

yep, i learned them also(fire wheels)

Really? I didn't know MC taught anyone this. Was this at a seminar or private with MC? I remember he said he hurt hisself by throwing them up and getting caught on one of the tines. Do you have a move in the form where you throw them up in the air. I've never seen this form.

thanks,

bill

That was taught at a Sifu only seminar before I was a Sifu. I still have a pair hanging on the wall at home collecting dust waiting for the day. They were a gift from Dean about 6 years ago.

Wah Lum has a known curriculum (handbook) but at the higher levels the training is a bit more customized and doesn't follow any particular order. 18elders listed the standard curriculum that everyone pretty much goes through eventually although there could be quite a bit non-curriculum along the way. A good example would be the Demo Teams. Professional Student would be another although the Instructor Program would focus on the curriculum that you would be expected to teach.

Contrary to popular belief, WL students learn quite a bit from outside of WL although MC is somewhat selective about the source of outside material.

woliveri

we learned it after our sifu test, yes there was a part where you throw them up in the air but MC took it out because he said it was too dangerous.

Originally posted by woliveri
    Yao Li quit WL to study Wu Shu so all the forms he has are probably Wu Shu forms and not Wah Lum.

18 Elders, Has anyone learned the Fire wheels?
    I heard chan poi taught yao all the forms before he moved to orlando. oh well, I'll ask yao someday.

I heard chan poi taught yao all the forms before he moved to orlando. oh well, I'll ask yao someday.

Let me correct myself. I said:

the all in that statement should be "a great deal".

I doubt Yao Li has all the forms of Wah Lum. A great deal regarding form movements has changed since MC moved to Florida.

18elders
    Throwing your weapon in the air is not something I would recommend so it's good that he took it out. Doing something like that when your fighting makes no sense, unless you're Jackie Chan.

Guess I was confusing that with the Sifu only Lok Low part 3 seminar but I do know only Sifus learned the Fire Wheels.

Shaolin Dude
    WL has probably changed a lot since Yao Li was with MC. Back then I believe it wasn't quite as structured and he seemed to teach whatever he felt like teaching. Maybe you could get him to tell some interesting 'early days with MC' stories.

Hua lin

If i remember correctly, you tossed them in the air and did a forward roll and caught them. If he didn't take that out there would probably be a few less sifu's left after the seminar!

Learned the Fire Wheels at George`s school, a kind of post Shifu Test "gift" to the Shifu`s who passed. Although the form was very short and basic, I appreciated this opportunity. Yea, he did take a cool "tossing move" out, never did demonstrate, we just heard how it went. Seeing the clearance in the handle... I can see why he probably delayed teaching this. MC did say, come to the Temple on an individual basis, and I will teach you the toss and roll. No one to my knowledge ever got it.

As for tossing or throwing weapons, WL does teach this. Straight Sword, Kwan Do, and maybe Double Daggers (all depends on the Shifu).

YL probably didn`t learn all the forms (WL forms from this time period, many have been added since) but what he did learn was very good. Back in those days, forms had ALOT more to them. Forms are watered down now. I`ve personally seen forms from the old days, and have learned and seen how they are done in recent years. Evolution my guess, but why make your style easier? Something else to ponder, YL was sent to China to learn PM. While there, he put emphasis and learning in Wu Shu (thinking this was the wave of the future). This lead to his unfortunate demise in WL.
    I am still a student practicing - Wang Jie Long

"Don`t Taze Me Bro"

yu shan,

i think the "tossing" you mentioned in double daggers and straight sword are merely exaggerations, much like many (but not all) of the golden chicken stances. for example, the toss and hand position change in straight sword is taught like a throw, but in a fighting situation the same motion is quicker and more applicable by simply gliding one's palm across the handle. but the shortened movement will invariably knock the weapon away from the newb- so it is taught as a toss or "big". with daggers, same thing, the toss allows time, later, it becomes a drop. and the golden chicken, in case you're wandering, is, in most cases, a moving step, to avoid low attacks but not to stand there looking pretty- the easiest example is in the eight punch exercise when turning back from the double punch. it is taught as a posture, but is used as a step when the pong laier uses their trade- mark "getting behind" and attacking that straight leg- just food for thought

does wah lum have an eagle form that starts out like this? stand forward in a high cat stance and both palms(not closed fists) open in a fighting position. and then go straight down into drop stance or whatever and arms spread like eagles wings. I've seen yao did this move and I was wondering if this is from wah lum.

first form...100x's...as fast as you can...like you dont care...GO!
    Just smash it.