Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: what's your favorite form that you know?

Sup Ji Kau Da
    "Extra inch, extra power." -Tarm Sarm

pao chuan
    yi lei mei fu
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

I am learning a form called Hak Fu Pai Da Kuen which is the core set of the system I'm learing and contains the main fighting motions. I really enjoy it although I've only learned a bit of it.

I thought, when I saw the thread, that people would name the favorite form and then talk about it or describe why they like it so much? No? Maybe I was wrong.
    A unique snowflake

I thought, when I saw the thread, that people would name the favorite form and then talk about it or describe why they like it so much? No? Maybe I was wrong
    Ok. I'm game. My favorite form is a toss-up between Chinese Soft Fist and Prancing Panther. Soft Fist because of the long, flowing moves that somehow manage to transmit alot of power, Panther for the unusual combinations of stance and footwork.

Mostly I don't do forms beyond the Gao style stuff (which I wouldn't consider to be "forms", but I quite like Fu Yonghui's Liangyiquan.
    Buddy

You want reasons instead of just a litany of names? Why, that could provoke discussion, or worse!

Anyway, I like the Chang TJQ long form best because it's the longest and most demanding of the three, and contains most of the throwing techs that are my bread n buttah.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

The most energizing and powerful form I know for energy would be Damo gong that my qigong teacher learned in Singapore . It consists of 72 movements using reverse abdominal breathing and various internal and external visualizations , standing meditation, and then 72 movements using regular abdominal breathing. After that I rest for one hour and then do the meditation and Yoga at http://www.atlantis.to This is the most energizing thing I know. I also really enjoy the New frame first form of Chen style taiji because of all the spirals it creates in the body and it just makes you instinctively do spiral movements in your regular activity which is really cool . Taiji also has sitting exercises that use a spinal wave and opening and closeing the torso, and there are torso shaking exercises too. Wild Goose qigong is also very good, and if I have already built up alot of energy through consistent daily practice it produces joy , probably from smoothing out qi pathways .
    Last edited by backbreaker; 12-08-2003 at 11:18 PM.

I like pao chuan for the power and workout it gives me...

I like Yi lie mei fu for the technical nuances.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

Lian huan quan big swinging power

I like our lion dancing schools geen lai, its short but sweet!
    Bless you

I like Sup Ji Kau Da for its many applications (it's a rather long form) and the great overall workout. It was also quite challenging to learn, therefore becoming very dear to me in the end.
    "Extra inch, extra power." -Tarm Sarm

These are my favorites today, tommorrow may change...

Shaolin Xiaohongquan and Xingyi Five Elements. Both have great depth - the more I study them, the deeper they get. I've been doing Xiaohong for an embarrassing 8 years and still muck it up. Been doing Five elements for only a year or so. Still haven't got to the bottom of either of them yet. When I do, I'll probably move on.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

For me it would have to be Gung Gee Fuk Fu, hands down. I have done this form at least 3 times a day for 2 1/2 years now, and I think in 15 years I will still be finding stuff in it. Its a love affair, me and that form...
    -Golden Arms-

Sam Chien for its simplicity and depth.
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

Brown # 6
    or
    Chopping/ Pulling Combo

I don't really have forms, I tend to shadow box my moves and combos.
    CPA's current P4P List:
    -Bas Rutten
    -Captain Jack Sparrow
    -Cindy Lauper
    -Lester Moonvest

hmmm

Being a Mizong practioner, my favorite form would be Mizong jia as it has aspects of shaolin, taichi, xsing-yi, and pakua in it. That plus the fact my teacher, Master Lu JunHai, makes it look so **** good (and he is 64 - puts me to shame!).

He is featured in the Feb 2004 issue
    I think, therefore I am awake!

It's easier to learn to do it now and maintain it in old age than to try and learn it in old age.

The world is my oyster.....Unfortunately I'm vegtarian.