Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: General Kwan

General Kwan

Hey all,
    I'm just wondering if any of you have seen one of these before, and if you know how much it would be worth? I just picked it up the other day from a Chinese Restaurant, and she picked it up from Seattle China Town.

Anyone have any ideas how I could go about finding out how much it's worth, and how old it is, etc? And NO, it's not for sale!

General Kwan

~Wen~
    The greatest thing about me is that I know that I am the ONLY one that knows the truth about all! Damo lives within me, and me ONLY - for there is nobody that knows the truth more - so stick that in your pipe and smoke it sparky's!!!

If you bought at a restaurant, it probably isn't an antique, but if you paid a lot for it that's probably because it's colored, whereas most trinkets are colored red.

I don't really know, just my thoughts.
    -------------------------------------------
    "It is a good thing to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this."
    - Yamamoto Tsunetomo, from Hagakure

She's a friend of mine, and she's had it for quite a few years in the restaurant. It's not your every day Chinese Restaurant, these are people I knew....they sold it to me just because they didn't know what else to do with it as they're remodeling and stuff. I think it's pretty old, as it's been worn in a few places (flags come off of the poles for moving them, and they're worn at the bottms, etc...)

Just curious though!

~Wen~
    The greatest thing about me is that I know that I am the ONLY one that knows the truth about all! Damo lives within me, and me ONLY - for there is nobody that knows the truth more - so stick that in your pipe and smoke it sparky's!!!

hmmmm. try to find a local antiques apraiser or something. thats my best advice.

you could find that in a lot of chinese gift/antique stores. I'm estimating those cost between 50-100

That is one of the coolest things that I have seen. I've never seen a Kwan statue in the pose before. I cant wait to see it in the school. If I stop working out and start gawking at it....punch me in the gut.

templefist

50-100 bucks? You wish. Dude, this thing is like 3 feet tall almost...and it's not made of plastic or anything like that...it's made out of some resin. I've never seen anything like it before, in China town SF or Seattle. I've been to both TONS of times too.

Templefist-
    Just remember, now that I've got permission to punch ya, I'm gonna take you up on it. JUST REMEMBER YOU GAVE IT TO ME

~Wen~

long time no see wushuchick.

do you like my new avatar?
    where's my beer?

Hey hey GDA...

Yeah, the avatar is so....uh, you!

How are ya doing?

shitty.

but thanks for asking.

and yourself?
    where's my beer?

Nice pieces WC...

I'm jealous.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

Wushu Chik, do you look like Alanis Morrisette?

The resin ones aren't so expensive, the ceramic ones are more expensive and real jade or jadite statuary of just about anything has higher value.

With antiquity the value is even more and antiquity +provenance can be priceless.

Most Chinese Restaurants have a Kwan Gong as he is the "protector" of Restaurants, Financial institutions, Kungfu schools and many others.

Depending on size and what shape it's in, it could be worth between 100usd and 1000usd.

But I would put it closer to 100 simply because it is only made of the resin.

(but then, can you put a value on something you love?)

cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.

General Kwan States

That looks like a nice one, but if it's made of resin, Kung Lek is right, it's probably not worth too much. Resin casting is a fairly modern method, meaning it's not really an antique. If it were wood, ceramic, stone or metal, it might be worth more. It's big though, so that increases it's value. There are lots of modern made statues of General Kwan, he's probably the 2nd most popular deity in China. We offer a solid brass General Kwan - it's only 5" high, but it's less than $20.

If you like it, there's value in that. I have several Kwan's. I have an antique glass painting that was presented to me by a couple that I married - that's the centerpiece in my ancestral altar at home. I alos have a brass one that I paid way too much for at Guanlin Temple (where Kwan is buried, or part of him at least). I even have a little Kwan right next to my monitor here - I can't remember where that one came from. Personally, I think all CMA people should have a General Kwan. He oversees martial arts, literature, small business, gamblers, and is a protector of the people. He symbolizes that which is noble and chivalrous in CMA.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

3 feet tall?! That's quite a find.

The guy I bought my Kwan Yu from said, "Kwan likes being cleaned." Hope it doesn't get too dusty.
    -------------------------------------------
    "It is a good thing to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this."
    - Yamamoto Tsunetomo, from Hagakure