Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: TMA, MMA and jing

TMA, MMA and jing

this was posted in another thread:

"If you have ever been hit by a real kung fu master even at 25% of full power then you will readily know what the difference is. I have felt force from a Hung Ga master, Hsing Yi master, CLF master and Taiji Master. They are all slightly different but each is devastating in it's own way.

The Hung Ga master's poison palm caused my skin to redden and swell up. The Hing Yi masters strike felt like a icey cold needle penetrating into my body. The CLF masters strike felt like I'd been hit by a ton of bricks, etc.

Jing is refined force and power. And it only comes from constant repetition of movement.

Now I'm not saying that XMA and Wu Shu don't require the training of certain Jings. But they are not the same Jings that are trained for fighting. "

Boxers, Thai boxers, judoka, etc. don't normally speak of jing (obviously) - at least not in the sense that cma does, but there's no doubt that they can knock/throw the bejesus outta someone. So, from a CMA perspective, what is the jing being used (as far as you can tell, from having seen the techniques, or from experience if you've trained them) in these styles?
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Depends on who's definition of jing/ging you're using.

A taiji guy's gonna respond with what he observes following ward off, press, roll back, etc.

A hung gar guy's gonna respond with what he sees following gum ging (gold power), etc.

A hsing yi will break it down to drilling, pounding, etc.

A mantis guy will compare with the 12 softs and 8 hards.

I see a good clinch as usage of ward off energy... you're using your structure to maintain a safety zone.
    Grapplers exhibit listening energy all the time (see Genki Sudo).
    I think a good sprawl where you almost land on top of the guy, driving him into the ground is an example of rollback or press (always get them confused, sorry).

Splitting would seem to be a straight joint lock.
    Crushing would seem to be a choke or even a push kick.
    Drilling comes off to me like digging your chin into an opponent's eye socket, possibly a strike that twists upon impact.
    Pounding would be a K1 guy working his opponent's legs (maybe even Royce's old "softening up" blows).
    Crossing can be an attack on a joint, or a twisting lock like a heel hook.

A quick, flicking jab could be an example of Bin Ging (whipping power), which is associated with crane.
    Any punch you sit on would be more of the ging associated with tiger.

I could probly be here for another 5 pages.

I know none of my analogies are necessarily 100% correct, because I'm not an expert in any of the above styles.
    Just trying to give some examples of how stuff like ging/jing could possibly be translated.

I'm sure a lot of purists will disagree with me.

I think the major difference of kung fu versus the sport stuff is that kung fu takes the principle, method, or type of power and tries to universally reapply it, whereas the sport or modern approach is a bit different, maybe more performance/technique oriented.

If we're lucky, maybe someone who knows better than me will chime in.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

speakless
    "pain is not my enemy; it is my call to greatness. " - Henry Rollins

Baltimore San Shou

WWW.NLPF.NET

“The only undefeated fighters are those who do not compete.” – Coach Sonnon, MMA.tv

I disagree with Bmore...the techniques he describes are different...some come from a temple in china, and are good, while the others do not, and are bad...

OK the kung fu practitioners jing is related to internal force, or key as we say in the trade, whereas the thai kickboxers power is mechanical strength, which is dead, as we say at my dojo.

And sprawling isn't good because the monks didn't do it.

Jing is good and lifting weights is bad, because my sensei says so. BTW my sensei can't fight.

Now here's my real answer:

OK so I do agree with Bmore...but I can tell you some traditional guys might have given a response similar to one of mine, listed above...and some, like bmore can appreciate the value of other arts.
    Veni Vidi Vici

I hope it doesn't look like I'm kissing @$$... but that post was pure genius kichi, you said everything I have never been able to explain but knew in my heart
    Veni Vidi Vici

OK so I do agree with Bmore...but I can tell you some traditional guys might have given a response similar to one of mine, listed above...and some, like bmore can appreciate the value of other arts.
    Well, if we are going off of pure speculation as to what others might say, my answer is that MMA don't need jing cause they just tackle you and pound you with their huge c@cks.....and oh yeah, MKC is a chump.....of course, that's just what some guys might have said to your response. Others might have disagreed.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Baltimore San Shou

WWW.NLPF.NET

“The only undefeated fighters are those who do not compete.” – Coach Sonnon, MMA.tv

So what if MKC is a chump?

Maybe he just wants to be liked. Coz you know deep down Masterkiller, that MKC really loves you and wants to be like you.

Just be careful that he doesn't "love you with (his) whole body, even (his) peepee". I swear my leg never felt more violated than after that, and my favorite pair of jeans STILL can't look me in the eye.

Or maybe he doesn't care and you just took the bait.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.

this thread had a potential for substance......

Baltimore San Shou

WWW.NLPF.NET

Some Baltimore San Shou people might actually postively contribute to conversations here. Others might not.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

We have too much free time....
    Some of us are so goona get fired for surfing the net all day... LOL

MK, when I said others might say this I was basing my statement on what others have already said to very similar questions, don't believe me just check out the kung fu threads at
    www.wahnam.com/forum
    also at my kung fu school a lot of people think this way...so its not like I just got that out of the blue I wouldn't presume to put words in someone's mouth like that, all of my statements were based on actual statements I have heard purists make...I tried to give them a funny twist but essentially it is what these guys say...ask Bmore about what my kung fu friends say when were watching UFC, some of them just think anything they didn't learn from the Sifu sux
    Veni Vidi Vici

I hear ya. Several of the CMA guys I know say "boxers have no skill" and "If we grapple three days a week for an hour, we will be as good as the grapplers in the tourneys"
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

If we grapple three days a week for an hour, we will be as good as the grapplers in the tourneys"
    Wouldn't you say the average grappler probably takes 3 (or less) 1-hour courses a week?

Or did they mean they only need 3 classes total to achieve superiorty?

Originally posted by BMore Banga
    We have too much free time....
    Some of us are so goona get fired for surfing the net all day... LOL
    shhhhh don't say that so loud........
    Some Baltimore San Shou people might actually postively contribute to conversations here. Others might not.
    sadly.... BMB is the most level headed out of the group...... which really doesn't say much......

Baltimore San Shou

WWW.NLPF.NET