Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: TMA, MMA and jing

Using a heel hook as a crossing movement is quite interesting , I hadn't thought of that. Good structure in a clinch I would think is definately the first level of peng.

I thought I wasn't supposed to repeat the story of "shifu's paralyzing dim mak death touches"?

That was almost as funny as:
    "Why is that dude roundhouse kicking away from where the other guy's circling and not into it? It's like he's trying to kick where he was 5 seconds ago."
    "If you don't like the way they're fighting so much, why don't you go in there and show 'em how it's done."
    "Not used to the rules, but as soon as my 90 day suspension's finished (for getting KTFO), I wouldn't mind trying."

or

"Could you imagine if *** ****** (famous guy from MKC's style) was in that tournament? They'd force them to wear masks because there'd be too much blood..."

Me? Level-Headed? That's funny considering what a nutjob you know I am.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

I hear ya. Several of the CMA guys I know say "boxers have no skill" and "If we grapple three days a week for an hour, we will be as good as the grapplers in the tourneys"
    I consider myself a CMA guy, but if I were to fight front facing at medium distance, I'll box. I wanted to learn ground fighting, so now I learn at a grappling school. For total power punching, boxing is where it's at. For me though, the combination of precision and delivery of power, positioning, control and safety, CMA is where it's at.

"Could you imagine if *** ****** (famous guy from MKC's style) was in that tournament? They'd force them to wear masks because there'd be too much blood..."
    if *** ****** is *** ****** than that may be kinda correct but still.... why the melodrama.....
    Me? Level-Headed? That's funny considering what a nutjob you know I am.
    exactly....
    "pain is not my enemy; it is my call to greatness. " - Henry Rollins

Baltimore San Shou

WWW.NLPF.NET

“The only undefeated fighters are those who do not compete.” – Coach Sonnon, MMA.tv

I have been told that boxing has the best hands. But I have also been told that CMA's have the best hands, so I don't know. It would seem hands are the specialty of CMA's but thaey also have other things. If I didn't do CMA then no matter how much MMA I trained I would not have much power and be quite weak being 175 pounds( well , relative to me with CMA training, ). Instead I've got destructive power and I can hit heavy bags and pads like a gun shot( well,it sounds hard) . A head high shin kick will scramble your brains quite well enough though
    Last edited by backbreaker; 12-11-2003 at 03:04 PM.

maybe I misunderstood... are you saying you have destructive power from cma that you could not have gotten from another style?
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Hmmm...well who would you rather get hit by *** ****** or Phil Baroni?

(CMA/iron palm vs. boxing/weights)
    Veni Vidi Vici

Yes, that is what I'm saying due to comparisons in my power when I don't train CMA's and compared to some heavier fighters with just muay thai. However, I cannot say for sure because I would have to get better at MMA to say for sure. This is just how I see my current situation for me personally. The most basic explanation is that it's due to relaxation which is not trained the same in MMA at all. I would also say that I've seen 145 pound muay thai champions who hit incredibly hard in their own right. I saw a 165 pound muay thai champion training pads before his fight and straight up, the hits were weak and would not likely knock out someone. He lost the fight too along with his belt.

The most basic explanation is that it's due to relaxation which is not trained the same in MMA at all.
    "pain is not my enemy; it is my call to greatness. " - Henry Rollins

Baltimore San Shou

WWW.NLPF.NET

“The only undefeated fighters are those who do not compete.” – Coach Sonnon, MMA.tv

Well , I won't say **** about Phil Baroni because he would kick my ass. I have felt straight punches through really big gloves and from holding pads from people bigger than baroni but not as good. The difference I would say is that in boxing , the main power is all localized in the hand , so if it lands really good I liken it to if you tied a rock on a string and swung it , sort of like it but not totally( A rock would crack the skull). If you miss you will also put yourself off balance. Internal Iron palm I would say has more full body connection to the ground so there is more behind the hit and it is way louder like a boom noise and goes right through the target inside it's center , so you are less likely to miss and the punch won't have such a tapping noise like it's bouncing off the target .

a snapping kick makes a loud popping noise... A solid hit should be a resounding thud. it's not necessarily loud.

why would the boxer be off balance if he misses? why is there no connection to the ground? are you referring to a particular punch?
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

I don't mind getting punched by *** ******; not to blatantly disrespect him or nothin...

and if backbreaker ain't trolling, then we got us a mighty-deluded individual, no offense.... the rock on the string thing's a popular analogy Choy Lay Fut uses for their own stuff...
    Last edited by BMore Banga; 12-11-2003 at 02:43 PM.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Personally I would say that a snapping kick is not too loud, yeah it would pop loud but not resonate . Also if your trainer is good holding pads it will make you look better , but I was told pad training is more for speed than power but still use both. . You nee to pivot on the ball of your foot and have it also totally rooted, but mostly you have to folow through into the target. My kicks sound like a crash noise, and I've knocked people down through a kicking sheild kicking to the leg. I just don't think the thud type of power is super powerful because it doesn't always go through the target. And I think that kickboxers and boxers put themselves off balance because they don't have relaxed rooting in the ground , I think you need to train rooting through a specific type of relaxation , you can't be born with it. Basically regardless of size I have not met someone who can budge my feet by pushing me or from an in close clinch. I will have the advantage to walk you into a corner . I might even put them in a defensive knee on one leg. I've never really fought 100% against anyone good. Only like 80% sparring. I'm not too great, but I have " unreal power" as one thai trainer said .

Originally posted by backbreaker
    If I didn't do CMA then no matter how much MMA I trained I would not have much power and be quite weak being 175 pounds
    You're an idiot.

Originally posted by backbreaker
    The difference I would say is that in boxing , the main power is all localized in the hand , so if it lands really good I liken it to if you tied a rock on a string and swung it , sort of like it but not totally( A rock would crack the skull). If you miss you will also put yourself off balance.
    Yeah, I see boxers falling over all the time after they miss.
    "hey pal, you wanna do the dance of destruction with the belle of the ball, just say the word." -apoweyn

FD - I wish you'd learn to open up and share your real feelings instead of bottling up like that!