Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Can a high school wrestler beat the average martial artist?

ATENG Guest

uh....

dragonzrage

i hope you're kidding.

---------------------
    Its all fun and games til someone loses an
    eye. Then its just fun.

Master Po Guest
    hahahahahahaahhahahaa

bustr Guest

What about...

What about crossface holds or stiff-arming the wrestler's shoulders as he shoots. Are these allowed in scholastic wrestling? I know there are penalties for stalling. Would stiff-arming instead of sprawling be considered a stall. Also Chris Clugston has a technique called the matador which is a fade and double-handed parry to the back of the shooters head and neck. Are wrestlers trained to deal with these defenses?

you gotta see the shoot coming and if all you know are those two tactics there is a good chance he will get you down anyway.

doug maverick Guest

sorry

well i'm just speaking for chinese M.A. i dont know about others high school wresting is romen greco and it is genarally for sport while yes the normal kung fu stylist is not an athlete that does'nt mean he can't punch a hole in you yo have to get close enuff to grap him and when you do make sure none of his limbs are out most importantlly his arms you don't want to lose your balls now do you but it would be diffacult but not impossible

Grappling-Insanity Guest

HELL YAH!!!

Kung-Fu sux nuts.....

Grappling-Insanity Guest

P.S.

I was trying to be sarcastic, i.e. potraying the comman Grappling response.

Grappling-Insanity Guest

K. now my serious post..

I dont think you guys have ever seen/been in a wrestling club. These guys train there a$$ off. And a double/single leg is not there only takedown as many of you seem to think... Do you think you guys could walk off a firemans carry???? or even if he just slammed with a double leg instead of trying to take you down
    a-la early Carlos Newton.

Also the physical conditioning aspect here.. How much of your classes spend there time on physical conditioning.... I'll give you a quick brakedown of some wrestling classes I've witnessed (never actually wrestled). about 45 mins of crunches,pushups,hindu pushups,full situps. Then around an hour of technical drills and such. After that about 30 mins of sparring. I was then told by one of the wrestlers, my friend that they will go weight lift in a couple hours. Now tell me your average martial artist trains like this????

Double Leg Guest
    I would put my money on the high school wrestler 10 out of 10 times. And for you "non" wrestlers out there that tried to say that you countered a wrestlers takedown with your own then I say bull. Whats with all the keyboard warriors here?

brassmonkey Guest

Double

Go back to where you came from and troll on some Rickson Vs Wolverine threads.

Bad Karma Guest
    As some one said earlier, wrestling is physically very demanding sport, so an average wrestler will probably have an edge on physical attributes.

They are also experts at taking people down and then gaining a dominant position, which will spell doom to pure standup fighters with no or limited grappling skills. Ability to break bones with your strikes is of no use, if you're lying on your back and eating punches.

--
    BK

Nutt'nhunny Guest
    My Sifu and I worked out for 5 hours strait. Doing a Tai Chi warm up and then throwing each other for the next 5 hours.

At a local wrestling camp, they go for 3 periods of 1 and 1/2 hours and get up in the morning and run.

I would love something like this for kung fu. Yesterday I did two man tan tui and other two man forms for 2 hours. It was hot and I was tired. You just can't strike for as long as you can wrestle. You can do drills, but who can spar for 5 hours everyday? Besides that, in kung fu they don't teach everything to every student. You learn throwing later on and different techniques at different depths

Koing Guest

the.........

these topics are always hard and not that real as we always say about the *average* etc etc the arguement goes on and on....

but from my experience the average ma in my class that I do is not that fit at all. They lack all the physical attributes as they are older and haven't done as much sport and fitness orientated things after they left school. So they are obviously if theyd on't continue will flag and not get fitter but less. Also all the beer drinking and smoking won't help any of them.

I'm in the uk and so can't say much about the wrestling. But I would give a good guess that they tend to not smoke or drink very heavey as they are training a lot. Also in my class none of them do anything to help build up strength much but then they are older and have jobs so they have to do that. They probably don't have the time to spend working out etc.

But me on the other hand I'm a student. I spend 3 three times a week with a professional coach. The coach happens to be 64 and in AMAZING condition and is INSANLEE strong for his age. Hes an ex British Champion in his weight devision. This is Weight Lifting I do for fun and as a sport to compete. I would say most MA here would not do that or any gym work out etc. Also I practice a lot of sports and work out at home so that would give me an advantage.

Also with people saying that this and that to defend a take down its NO WAY THAT SIMPLE. I have been playing Rugby for 6 years now and I am very proficient and taking people down. I have been hit on the way down and kicked and kneed but the person still goes down. I would tend to agree with the people that say to defend against one is going to be hard and not easy.

The conditioning would put the other guy in favour. Also in the MA I've done (I've settled on Wing Chun done other forms but the schools in my area are not good) don't teach to defend on the ground. But I would think Judo would sooner then the other forms. But I've done some ground work and its hard to get out of the mantra or mount position. But this is when the knowledge comes to play as you know how. But also if your strong you can bridge and turn the other person out.

Me and my friend was messing about one day and I could turn him over from the mount and I could keep him in the mount position and control him. But he couldn't get out or control me. Hes done more years of traning in other forms almost a national in judo and we've done roughly the same amount of Wing Chun but I've been Weight training and Lifting for longer then him and do more physical sports so I am stronger then him. I could easily bridge out from him but he couldn't.

"Bye 4 now; not 4 ever"

baldmantiz Guest
    your average martial artist also trains in ways a high school wrestler does not. the martial artist has much more at his disposal...different strikes, knowing where to strike, etc. a wrestler isn't always prepared for something like this.

To know others is to have knowledge. To know oneself is to be enlightened.

bratok304 Guest

Well, i know wreastlers train their a$$ off but...

Normally, a good MA trains a lot too, persenally, i think that 1 hour or 1h30 is just not enough to train. at my school (wc school) we have about 45 mins - 1h body working (not like big gay muscular guys work out) but we does a lot of different exercices, then we do some drills, like punches, kicks, forms, etc... then we learn at our own level.... so if you think that MA are not are trainign their a$$ of, well, think again. I know not all train like we do, but there are a lot, so you don;t want to pick a fight with one that does. :) :D :D :D :D :cool: