Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Best Combination of Martial Arts

LeviathanX Guest

The Best Combination of Martial Arts

I've trained in the Korean martial art of Tang Soo Do Moo Duk Kwan for 14 years, and I've delved into the following martial arts very superficially, but I think the best combination of martial arts would probably be:

Tang Soo Do - why? because of its devastating kicks, and sheer power and flexibility gained from training in it for a period of time - and it is more disciplined and focuses much more on the use of hand techniques than Tae Kwon Do. Advanced Tang Soo Do also incorporates some Southern and Northern style Kung-Fu.

Kung-Fu/Jeet Kune Do - why? the hand-work and use of double attacks at the same time, and the footwork involved is superior to most styles.

Capoeira - why? not for practical fighting maneuvers, but it greatly increases your upper body strength and flexibility and the acrobatic moves build up the legs and abs which enable you to do more powerful kicks when standing.

Jiu-Jitsu - ground-fighting is very necessary for practical purposes, and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu has proven itself to be the most viable in competition and on the street (more technique involved than wrestling and more practical than Judo or Akikdo).

What do you think?

nospam Guest
    Hi LeviathanX.

The 'best'? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Anyways, kung fu and if you don't incorporate it, some other martial art that teaches ground work. But overall, it is more one's teacher and one's overall capacity to dig down deep and maintain a well greased machine.

BJJ, for the defence while on your back

wrestling, for superior takedowns and excellent for controlling a downed opponent. and great for stand up control which can go hand in hand with good striking

boxing or thai boxing, hardcore striking.

Mojo Guest
    I saw a photo of the man who originated Tang Soo Do performing what looked like Chen TaiChi.
    He was on the ground doing the 'kick with splits' move.

8stepsifu Guest
    If you shop around you get many versions of the basics. Stick with one all the way. They all end up looking the same at the high levels anyway. you have angles, circles and the human body. The more efficient you get the more it looks the same. Pick an art that offers joint locks, throwing, punching, kicking, and groundfighting. The lesser the style the more you will need to shop around when your training is done. Some blackbelts have to leave their styles to further their training which I think is sad.

LeviathanX Guest
    Kwan Jang Nim Hwang Kee originated Tang Soo Do in 1947, and it is basically a combination of 60% Korean Tae Kyon (the traditional art that Tae Kwon Do was based on), 30% Northern Chinese martial arts, and 10% Southern Chinese martial arts.

At our school we also practice Hap Ki Do, which is basically Korean Jiu-Jitsu.

Mojo, do you happen to know where you saw that kick? Or could you describe it a little bit better?

Our most advanced traditonal aerial kick in Tang Soo Do is a flying split kick (two boards on each side broken simultaneously with a jumping inside-outside roundhouse kick, and a flying side kick). Of course, at demonstrations you see all sorts of crazy rising aerial moves.

Mojo Guest
    I saw it in an old 'Black Belt' mag.
    I'll look around on the web to see if I can find a picture of the posture and post it.

Mojo Guest
    I couldn't find a picture so I'll try to describe it.
    Sit on the ground in a hurdlers stretch with your left leg straight in front of you, toes up, bottom of foot facing forward.
    Your left fist is in front of you in an uppercut position, fist below chest level.
    your right fist is held just above and behind your left ear, back of fist facing upward.
    I hope you can picture this.

[This message has been edited by Mojo (edited 08-16-2000).]

Mojo Guest
    I finally found a photo of the posture.

origenx Guest
    Now I'd like to see a picture of someone actually breaking 2 boards doing that in the air!

JerryLove Guest
    Favored combination arts?

Boxing (or Thai Boxing)+ BJJ (if nothing else, the boxing lets you close to takedown)

Akido + Jujitsu + Kendo + Kempo

Pentjak Silat + Pagua + Hsing-I (you get a kind of Kuntao)

Boxing + Hsing-I + Pressure-point system (pure evil at punching range)

MonkeySlap Too Guest
    I'd like to see where the Northern Shaolin is in Moo Duk Kwan. Total opposites, and most probably untrue.

Hwang Kee has even asdmitted that he learned out of a book while working for the Japanese in a train station in Manchuria. The book was a Japanese Karate book.

I wish the Korean stylists would just be more honest. Even Korean historians shake thier heads at the BS these teachers spread.

mild7 Guest
    what's the best combination of MA?
    In my opinion:

For the handwork- boxing/wing chun.

For the kicks- any art that uses low stomp kicks, e.g. Wing Chun/Taijutsu etc.

For the grappling- BJJ/Judo/wrestling.

For the weapons- Taijutsu/Arnis.

For the 'street' moves- Taijitsu/Jujitsu

MMA FIGHTER Guest
    BJJ, Wrestling, and Muay Thai

Crouching Tiger Guest
    i'd say tiger claw, preying mantis, hsing i, and tai chi - why? because I studeid them all!

seriously though, the best combo or arts is street fighting expereince - go to the bar and watch others fight, maybe do some bouncing. This is the best way to learn FAST! Maybe once you can fight, then learn some kick-ass kung fu to learn more.