Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Weapons Sparring

Weapons Sparring

How many here who train weapons, traditional or no, do any type of free sparring with them.

My school, we don't. We have two-man drills, but not free-sparring.

After I get my heal on, I intend to suggest this also.
    BreakProof Back® Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

very limited free sparring with weapons.
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

I play stick(s) all the time.

Lots of "reality" scenarios with the dagger also.

strike!

What kind of protection gear do u use yen?
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

Me and Meatshake wanted to start Bo sparring, but the ****bird broke his bo yesterday.
    CPA's current P4P List:
    -Bas Rutten
    -Captain Jack Sparrow
    -Cindy Lauper
    -Lester Moonvest

might i recommend flexible rattan staffs.

Padded headgear with cage mask, gloves, forarm guard, elbow and knee pads (dont help much..) padded sticks.

A couple of times have geared up motorcross style and gone at it with the bamboo.

Looking into rubber sticks, seen them and grappled with them a couple times but never been whacked.

strike!

Also... limited targets... progressive sparring.

Begginiers start with only being allowed to hit the other guys stick, hand, and knee.

strike!

I have done full-contact stick fighting (during my JKD days)...

These days I train in Kenjutsu (Iaijutsu) which is primarily kata type training, but once a month we suit up in Bogu (Kendo armor) and use fukuro shinai (different from a Kendo shinai) and do free sparring. It's an interesting exercise... as long as it doesn't evolve into Kendo (not that I have anything against Kendo). We try to use the principles and techniques used in the kata.

KG

We practice free swordplay. We use historically weighted (2 lb.) wooden (oak) jian, and go at it. The only rule is nothing goes to the head. Other than that, anything is fair game, including fists and feet and sarcasm. Some people wear gloves to protect the knuckles and fingers, and some wear eye goggles. I don't have a pair of goggles yet. I have gloves but always forget to bring them to class.

Bruises aplenty. If you think having a fist or kick flying at you is scary, try a 2 lb. hunk of oak.
    "Duifang jing zhi meng ji, wo fang tui zhi ce fang xi zhi."

I've done some limited weapon free sparring, but not near enough. Mainly staff and shortstick sparring. Some knife v. open hand sparring, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

in my old JKD club, we did freesparring with kali sticks, from day one. only protection was a ski-glove on your weapon vielding hand, and shin guards. that was only for Lago-Mano training though. full-contact weapons sparring was done with full body armor.

we also did knife sparring in the same fashion, done with hard plastic knifes. coz rubber knifes gives u false confidence, plastic knifes will punish u if youre hit, giving you a better sense of reality.

jumpin in late

We start sparring empty hand, but later will move into single and double stick, as well as staff sparring.

weapons vs open hand
    single vs single, double vs double, staff vs staff....
    single vs staff
    single vs double
    double vs staff

like that.

Single stick, double stick, stick and dagger, long staff, knife... I think that's it.

And there are basically two routes to go in terms of equipment. Pad the person or pad the weapon.

In my school, we wore the typical FMA body armour. Metal grill helmet (similar to kendo helmet), padded vest, lacrosse gloves, forearm pads, knee pads, etc. (Not quite ready for the Dog Brothers.)

Now, I'm collected padded weapons so I can spar with less specialized armour. Regular sparring gear plus padded weapons should (I hope) do the trick.
    When you assume, you make an ass out of... pretty much just you, really.

I'm planning to start sparring with rubber knives that have lipstick on the blade. I also would like to start sparring with kali sticks...I have 'em, but just kinda neglected them.