Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm sure that a pro football player could kick chuck norris any day

totallyfrozen Guest
    One last thought...
    Don't be in too big a hurry to discount what martial arts is all about just because some 7th grader couldn't beat you. I'm not an instructor and never have been..but personally, I don't see why schools even hand out brown and black belts to kids. Kids aren't even done physically developing, teenagres are physically ackward and aren't even used to how long their arms and legs are not too mention they just don't have the self-confidence and brains that come with time (I'm 30 by the way).
    I'm sure that if you got in a scrap with an adult brown belt who took his/her martial art seriously and practiced alot, you would get hurt pretty badly...or knocked out...or both.
    Yes, there are some schools which are a joke. We have a judo school in my city which I thought about attending at one time but it turned out to be a joke. They were sloppy, undiscplined, and couldn't perform the techniques. One of the "black belt" instrutors was so incredibly obese that she couldn't even demonstrate the techniques. This in NOT the typical brown or black belt...and this is not the type I am talking about. If you met up with a serious martial artist, you might be surprised at how fast you could get hurt or knocked out. Don't let a little 7th grader deceive you.

Something else you might not know about martial arts. When you receive a black belt, you have just begun. All a black belt means is that you have learned the basics. It means that you know the techinques. It doesn't mean you have mastered the techniques, it doesn't mean that you fully understand the techniques, it doesn't mean that you fully understand the applications of the techniques, it doesn't mean that you fully understand your own ki (chi, qi) power. All it means is that you have demonstrated that you know the basics. This is why the Masters are all very old. It takes a lifetime to discover and develop the wisdom and understanding hidden in the martial arts. So your little brown belt 7th grader hadn't even learned all the basics yet. He/she was a brown belt and not even a black belt yet...let alone a 3, 4, or 6 degree black belt or whatever. You were fighting against a beginner and a young one at that...and you have made yourself believe that the martial arts are a waste of time.

I'm not offended that you disrespect martial arts and I hope your not offended at my comments.

[This message has been edited by totallyfrozen (edited 08-15-2000).]

totallyfrozen Guest
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kungfuswack:
    Of course size matters. I'm 5'7", and I'm there's no point in lying to myself. The best I could do against a 200lb guy is fight dirty, be totally commited to beating the crap out of him, and hopefully survive. Martial artists get sold all sorts of crap about how an old man uses chi to stop a huge attacker. Bull****. [/quote]

I don't understand why so many people say things about "a story of some old guy doing blah, blah, blah to a big guy, etc."

Bruce Lee's demonstrations are available on video tape. I have them. Go rent them.
    You're not the only one who has said these things. For crying out loud, it's not some "old rumor" it's on video....go watch it yourself. Bruce Lee did a "floating punch" and knocked a very large man back 6 feet by punching him from one inch away (the "legendary" one-inch punch). These stories aren't spooky "LEGENDS"....go watch them yourself. Geez...it's no ****ed "secret"...they're on video. I wish that all of the people who think like you do would stop talking like that and go watch the videos FIRST...then say what you think.
    Bruce Lee even punched the late Ed Parker founder and former grandmaster of American Kenpo. Even Ed said that he gained alot of respect for Lee because of his blinding speed and abnormal power.
    They're not legends or rumors...go watch the video.

[This message has been edited by totallyfrozen (edited 08-17-2000).]

origenx Guest
    Hell, or just check out the UFCs. You have several matches where the smaller opponent beat the larger opponent, who may have been way taller and outweighed him by tens or even hundreds of lbs!