Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flying sidekick!

Twinsen Guest

Flying sidekick!

Greetings my friends,

In street fighting do you use flying kick? Because flying kick sounds like just in the movies!

thanks,

------------------
    ~Guybrush~

Tru-MA Guest
    I've never ever used a flying kick in a real life street fight, and I don't really think I ever will, because it's not really a practical thing for me. I just use standing techniques but I still do plan for flying kick attacks. If I ever really use a flying side kick in a fight it would only be as a finishing move. As for kicks like the jumping front kick, I would probably use that to distract and surprise my opponent. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Snoopy Guest
    Flying High Kicks are great in movies but in street fighting - NAH!!

Just think of someone starting to spin around with a kick and their back is facing you - what do you do? Push him or her and down they go! Or you can grab their flying leg or kick their standing leg out!!

Snoopy

------------------
    A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

Twinsen Guest
    Greetings my friends,

Well first of all did you learn or practice flying kick? I had practice all the kicks but I haven't try flying kick. And how do I jump high while launching the flying kick?

thanks,

------------------
    ~Guybrush~

LeviathanX Guest
    We do the flying side kick in Tang Soo Do and I believe also in Tae Kwon Do. Basically, you make a running start towards your target and jump off the leg you are NOT going to kick with. Then you fly through the air (several feet to several meters depending on your ability) and make contact with your target. The leg you jumped off of should be pulled up close to your body after you are in the air.

As far as practical application... I believe it has very little, but not zero. It probably isn't the greatest knock-out kick (back-spinning kick is much more effective), but it can definitely be used to meet with an opponent who is running towards you.

Robinf Guest
    Nice description of how to do a flying sidekick, LeviathanX. Twinsen, concentrate on getting your knees to your chest, this will ensure that your feet get up to where they need to be (your knees won't actually reach your chest, but that's the kind of pull and focus you need to get your feet up).

I've never been in a street fight, so I really can't say whether or not it would work.

There are many reasons for practicing a flying sidekick that go beyond practicality--the main reason I practice is that with each birthday (I'm 27 now), as long as I can still fly over my friends and break that 1 foot square board with my foot at the end, I feel young.

Twinsen Guest
    Greetings my friends,

Where should I learn this technique? I live in an apartment and it doesn't have many space. And I am afraid that I would fly off the balcony! Well, how do I practice to jump high?

thanks,

------------------
    ~Guybrush~

LeviathanX Guest
    Flying side kick doesn't necessarily mean you have to literally run in the beginning of the technique (that is just to get your forward momemtum that you will need to fly through the air), one to two steps should be fine.

If you're in a confined space why not go outside and practice in a park or in a parking lot?

To jump high the most important thing you need to remember is to bring your knees up as high as you can towards your chest like Robinf pointed out.

However, to be able to gain new heights in jumping I would suggest squats, calve raises, and any other weight-lifting/exercise routines that require your calves and thighs.

When attempting flying side kick, try to keep your upper body as straight as possible. If you lean back or too far forward you will land the kick off-balanced.

[This message has been edited by LeviathanX (edited 08-14-2000).]

kungfuswack Guest
    You guys are crazy. I'm not an expert, but from my streetfighting experience,(2 fights) the only things that work in the chaotic, tense atmosphere of a street fight are boxing, especially the speed and constant movement, fast, powerfull low line kicks, such as savate style groin kicks or stomach kicks, mui-thai style knees and elbows, headbutting, biting and eyegouging, especially in the clinch or on the ground. Don't dilude yourself, if your going to be in a streetfight, you WILL be terrified, shaking, and feel ill. You need simple tools that you can use without thought, that have become part of who you are, not silly flying anything. Besides, if someone your fighting is far enough away from you for you to pull off a flying kick, run. Who needs to show off and get beat so bad your face looks like a crushed tomato because you wanted to try a technique. Fighting sucks.

totallyfrozen Guest
    I agree with Kung's post

My 2 cents, if you are far enough away to launch a flying kick...you are far enough away to start running away.
    Flying kicks are for sports like Tae Kwon Do...not real fighting.
    If you can do a flying kick...you can run away.

totallyfrozen Guest
    I have a friend who has studied Tang Soo Do for many years and is a 3rd degree black belt. I'm not really familiar with the style but was told that it's the same style Chuck Norris practices.
    My friend told me that he's never studied any martial arts for sport...only for defense.
    Well, no offense...but it sounds to me like Tang Soo Do is a sport just like Tae Kwon Do.
    I have never studied Tae Kwon Do and never will...and now, I guess, the same goes for Tang Soo Do. I don't study martial arts for sport or for religion...only to know how to fight fast and effectively.
    Tang Soo Do sounds like a sport.

Thanks for the warning. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Robinf Guest
    Totallyfrozen,
    Actually, flying kicks are for many reasons in training, not just sport.

They are for conditioning and focus, for something fresh for the mind and body to do (rather than getting stale with all the same techniques), for the spirit and yin yang that live within taekwondo and tangsoodo and that live within the practitioner.

Taekwondo and Tangsoodo have much to offer in the way of self-defense, but if flying through the air doesn't interest you, then these arts aren't for you.

It's good that you know what you're looking for and you're honest with yourself. But, be careful when making comments about the efficacy of an art that you don't study. You might end up stepping in something sticky and smelly.

jimmy23 Guest
    I actually knocked myself out with a flying kick!
    Many years ago,I was sparring a female andhad been practicing a lot of flying side kicks.I was 15 years old and weighed 140,it was easy to get good height.Well i threw the kick,and the lady was shocked and froze up.As i was throwing it,i saw that i would nail her and managed to redirect the kick,throwing it to the side of her head.
    well ,my foot got caught on her shoulder and I fell,wacking my head and going to sleep for a little while.
    So yes,in my experience,the flying side kick is great in combat if you need to knock yourself out real quick [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Robinf Guest
    jimmy,
    lol.

LeviathanX Guest
    I've trained in Tang Soo Do Moo Duk Kwan for 14 years and I'm a 3rd Degree Black Belt preparing for my 4th Degree Black Belt test. I can unequivocally tell you that Tang Soo Do is VERY different from Tae Kwon Do in its structure and attitude. The techniques are almost identical, but where Tae Kwon Do focuses on the sport applications of the martial art, Tang Soo Do focuses on the art (internally and externally) itself.

In addition to the kicks and punches of Tae Kwon Do, we learn the grappling moves and ground-fighting of Hap Ki Do.

Trust me, Tang Soo Do is a very worthy martial art. In fact, it is 60% Soo Bahk Do (ancient martial art of Korea), 30% Northern Chinese, and 10% Southern Chinese. So it really has its roots in many of the other martial arts.