Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Flying sidekick!

Robinf Guest
    LevianthanX,

Glad to see you're in such a good school. Taekwondo also has a good focus on internal and external, there is just a second component of sport. If a practitioner finds a good taekwondo school, then he/she will learn the internal, external, and the sport. In schools that are lacking, which are all too common, sport tends to be the focus as it is much flashier and it's also where all the trophies are won to show off in the lobby.

Robin

Black Jack Guest
    I dont know why anybody would ever want to incorporate this move into their list of kicks...unless of course that person is into having techinques that have no mobility, balance and above all practical use in a real life encounter.

In actual street combat its commonsense to keep your kicks low line and below the waist...those fancy flying kicks are the best way bar none for a fighter to get his head bashed in.

Not just that but why use a tool that takes so much time to keep in good form. A elbow, knee or headbutt strike will always be their when you need it...those moves are safe bets and when it comes to streetfighting the safe bet is where everybody wants to be.

Robinf Guest
    Not everything has to be practical. There are conditioning and other reasons for practicing a flying sidekick and other ariel techniques. For some practitioners, martial arts isn't just about fighting, it's about us.

Highlander Guest
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Robinf:
    martial arts isn't just about fighting, it's about us.[/quote]

Very well said.

Black Jack Guest
    The topic was in reference to the street applications of the flying side kick and as so should be treated as a joke techinque by serious self-defense and street fighting students.

Thats great if you want to practice the kick as a workout tool but to any body who teaches this nonsense as a serious reaction to a dangerous street situation is not doing their students any favors.

I have seen a number of numb nut TKD instructors teach this move to anybody who will pay the monthly rate and it is never stated to these students that their is a massive difference to fancy Dojo fighting and a confrontation in real life.

totallyfrozen Guest
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Robinf:
    Totallyfrozen,
    Actually, flying kicks are for many reasons in training, not just sport.

They are for conditioning and focus, for something fresh for the mind and body to do (rather than getting stale with all the same techniques)...
    [/quote]

Good point. That makes sense.

But I still wouldn't try it in a fight, myself (if I knew how to do one); and therefore, I am not interested in spending the time to learn it.
    However, I do see your point about using it for a fresh exercise to break up monotony.
    ------------------
    "There is only ONE martial art"

[This message has been edited by totallyfrozen (edited 08-18-2000).]

totallyfrozen Guest
    In my limited experience, most streetfights have taken place within arms reach (grappling distance).
    As far as a flying kick in combat, I guess I would say...
    Let the other guy do one and you can punch him in the nuts when he gets to ya! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

------------------
    "There is only ONE martial art"

El_CLap Guest
    Correct me if I am wrong. I was told by a friend that Tae Kwon Do was originally created because the villagers in Korea were being attacked by bandits on horseback. Thus the flying kicks. I have NO idea if this is true or not. Robin?

Robinf Guest
    El_Clap,

I have heard legends similar to that one about the creation of the flying sidekick.

Personally, since I wasn't at the creation of any of the arts or techniques, I can't say with any certainty as to why they started, but I can surmise as to why it's currently practiced. Even then, I could be totally wrong--I can only give my educated opinion.

Robin

8stepsifu Guest
    Mantis does a kind of flying sidekick. It's actually more like your running at the person and do a reverse leg kick to set up for the higher kick. Its like your running over them.
    It's usually seen as poor technique to actually fly through the air like an olympic long jumper to kick someone. Sure it will be powerfull, but it might be tempting for the defender to simply take a step to the left and go home. Most aerial kicks in mantis are jumping kicks. You can have a jumping stepping kick (duel in fists of legend between jet li's buddy and the outside kung fu master), Has anyone seen those flying sidekicks where they use the bottom leg to kick? I just saw it in a chinese comic book and I was wondering if anybody actually did this? Peace out.

jimmy23 Guest
    My understanding of the origen of it is the horse factor and also that Korea is rather mountainous,thus putting a premium on long range and jumping attacks.Ive never been there,so I cant say.

Robinf Guest
    8stepsifu,

I've seen double flying side kick where the side kick is made with both feet in the same direction at the same time, but I haven't seen the bottom one used independently. That would be neat.

Robin

8stepsifu Guest
    Jet Li did in RMD to our friend Russel Wong (vanishing son), but it was most unconvincing. I think its more of an entertainment kung fu move. How could you do a flying sk with your bottom side oblique muscles contrated. It's distorted and I dont even think you could get up in the air with your hips cocked down.

zeo999 Guest
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Twinsen:
    Greetings my friends,

In street fighting do you use flying kick? Because flying kick sounds like just in the movies!

thanks,

[/quote]

hi twinsen,
    but i think u can use the side kick when u r trapped and there is no way to run i have used it a couple of times!
    zeo999

yamato_damashii Guest
    I DOUBT that a peasant (from any country) is going to take on an armed bandit on horsback with a kick. I DO know, however, that the jump spinning kick was used by the Hwarang to unhorse samurai (there's even a legend about the son of a Korean king who dies valiantly, slaying an invading Japanese general with this exact move--before being shot with about fifty arrows).
    I certainly would not use a flying side kick in a street fight; mass combat is another matter. Also, I have used a jumping front kick as a "first strike"--the guy never saw it coming.

------------------
    Jason C. Diederich
    Pax Nobiscum