Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: MasterKiller, this ROTK review is for you.

The best movie I saw this year was "Rivers and Tides" a documentary about a Scottish sculptor, but I think it actually had it's initial release a couple years ago so wouldn't qualify for this years awards. Anyway, documentaries are ghettoized by the Academy the same way foreign films are - they get a category of their own, but basically no one cares about it.

The best movie I saw this year that could potentially be in contention for the big prize is probably American Splendor, but it was a tiny limited release film that's just plain too weird for the Academy to ever consider, even if it was a wide-release money-maker. The best movie I saw that has a real chance is RotK, and I'd say it has a really good chance, considering the academy has been nominating it's prequels for a couple years now and ignoring them. It's pretty likely they've been saving up for a big bonanza at the end.

Then there's the comedy problem - great comedies are usually ignored, too. I loved "Bad Santa" about as much as anything this year, but #1 - it's a comedy and #2 - it's a really sick, black comedy. It has no chance of any nomination. Maybe a supporting actor thing for the dwarf.

The Oscars suck ass and have since time immemorial. You want to find good movies? Look at LA Critics Circle awards and stuff like that.

I think if anything will beat out ROTK it would be Mystic River. I think it would be a shame not to reward Peter Jackson with best director. If anyone ever watched the making of documentaries that come with the extended versions of the films know that he has acheived a monumental directing accomplishment (even if you don't like the movies or the source material ).
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

For some reason, I see Quentin Tarrantino winning either/both Best Picture and Best Director. Even though I think Kill Bill was flawed, the Academy sometimes tries to recognize people they missed in previous years for more legitimate roles. Russell Crowe won best actor for Gladiator because he should have won it the year before and eveyone knew it.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Originally posted by MasterKiller
    For some reason, I see Quentin Tarrantino winning either/both Best Picture and Best Director. Even though I think Kill Bill was flawed, the Academy sometimes tries to recognize people they missed in previous years for more legitimate roles. Russell Crowe won best actor for Gladiator because he should have won it the year before and eveyone knew it.
    If the Academy wishes to make up for shafting Tarintino, I think they will do it next year with Volume Two (assuming it's as good as Volume I). They owe Peter Jackson and they know it. Miramax probalby knows it too and that could have been part of the motivation to split the movies in two. BTW, when is the release date for KBV2?
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

the Academy sometimes tries to recognize people they missed in previous years for more legitimate roles.
    This is exactly why I figure it's the year for Peter Jackson/LotR cast generally. They're going to get oscars for their last three movies, not just this one.

My favorite example of a "retroactive oscar" is Al Pacino winning for that butt-scraping "Scent of a Woman" instead of "Godfather II" or "Dog Day Afternoon."

Originally posted by Chang Style Novice

My favorite example of a "retroactive oscar" is Al Pacino winning for that butt-scraping "Scent of a Woman" instead of "Godfather II" or "Dog Day Afternoon."
    Hooo-Waaaa! I over-acted my way to an oscar!

If over-acting were the only requisite, Mel Gibson would have a closet full of them.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

He's got two - not for acting, though.

"Braveheart" is another mediocre at best movie that the academy loved.

yup. I hate that last scene, where he yells "freeeeedoooooom" while they pull his guts out. How heavy-handed can you get?

yup. I hate that last scene, where he yells "freeeeedoooooom" while they pull his guts out. How heavy-handed can you get?
    The Patriot.
    BreakProof Back® Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

At least most everyone who saw "The Patriot" thought it was cr@p. Okay, that's one good thing about it. Which is weird, because it's pretty much the EXACT SAME movie as "Braveheart" which most everyone loved.

I'm really looking forward to the scene in his new life of Jesus movie when Christ wrenches his hands from the cross with the nails still in 'em and uses the fistnails to pummel both Pilate and Herod to within an inch of their lives.
    Last edited by Chang Style Novice; 01-03-2004 at 09:47 AM.

The last scene in Braveheart was a bit heavy-handed, but at least they killed him off. Other than that, I liked Braveheart ok. The Patriot got on my nerves when the woman stood up in church to shame the men to join the militia and when the British officer then burned them all alive in the same church. Plus the end where Mel kills him was waay to over the top.

I avoid Mel Gibson movies anytime I can after his "Paycheck" episode. He wrote that sledgehammer scene, that takes a total of 30 seconds, but when the writer/director refused to put it in the movie AFTER they had already started filming, Mel had the producers fire him and bring in someone else who would let him shoot the scene. His excuse was, he has to do what's best for the picture. I hate actors.

I didn't see Paycheck. I don't think I'm missing much.

BTW, MK, how are you feeling today? Probably about as good as I was Saturday after my team lost.

I think Jason White was hurt the whole game and wasn't man enough to pull himself out. That game was easily winnable, but the offense couldn't put anything together. The defense almost came out with it, though, and I still think that incomplete pass in the 4th was a fumble recovered by OU. I think if they would have put Thompson in at halftime, who can scramble like Michael Vick, that game would have been completely different.

That being said, LSU had one heck of a defense. I haven't seen them play all year, but I was impressed.

Anyway, at least I don't have to spend the rest of my life arguing with Texas fans about OU vs USC.