Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chinese New Year & Lion Dancing

best lion dancers

Which school is the top lion dancing school of New York City's Chinatown? Come on... i know you all have egos.
    A penny saved is... not much.

Top Lion Dance Team (anygivencity)

This could be a thread all it`s own. Not only NYC, but let`s here it from the UK, Toronto, Chicago, Vancouver, Florida...
    I am still a student practicing - Wang Jie Long

"Don`t Taze Me Bro"

Wink Bod

Never too young.... gotta keep the faith and continue training. Where are you up to in your training?

Question TravelsbyKnight

Are you with a school in NYC?

Angry GeneChing

Gene... I take it from your lack of response to my emails and reports that it would appear I am not welcomed here and that it is ok for others to violate forum rules while I am held to different standards. If thats the case, I'll move on then and will participate in other forums.....

To all of the lion dancers on this forum.... keep the faith and train hard..... farewell....

lion dancer

I have visited a few schools in New York. This year I will be in Chinatown during the lion dancing so I wish to know which school's lion dancing to look out for.

So, WHICH NYC SCHOOL HAS THE BEST LION DANCE TEAM?
    A penny saved is... not much.

Re: GeneChing

Originally posted by LionDancer
    Gene... I take it from your lack of response to my emails and reports that it would appear I am not welcomed here and that it is ok for others to violate forum rules while I am held to different standards. If thats the case, I'll move on then and will participate in other forums.....

To all of the lion dancers on this forum.... keep the faith and train hard..... farewell....
    LD..look at the positive side...Gene has not said you are not welcome or cannot post here

GHD
    ...ask for Kam
    ------------------------------------------------
    "Fool me once, then shame on you. Fool me twice, then shame on me"

travelsbyknight

Hang around Chinatown and Canal Street, ask these locals.

Liondancer

Why not advertise your wonderful lions, you should stay with this forum, JMO.
    I am still a student practicing - Wang Jie Long

"Don`t Taze Me Bro"

Lion dancer

come back!
    Bless you

Quote Originally Posted by LionDancer View Post
    Its rapidly approaching the New Year.... any team training for special sets / moves? Would love to hear about them.....

]
    Here you will find wonderful things.

http://ticket.ntdtv.com/

at last a thread about lion dance

No special moves for this year. Just keeping it traditional which always seems popular. We will have a busy time of it this year as well but not 26 in one day, wow.

This year we also have two new lions (a black one and a red one) and an extra drum , cymbles etc thanks to my sponsor Flowcrete (www.flowcrete.com). So as well as the usual restaurants and Chinese communities we will be doing dances for trade and industry shows and the British Feng Shui Society.

There are alot of clips of lion dance on youtube but most of them seem to be peeps jumping around on the plum blossom poles. I've not tried anything with them yet but they look fun.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    with the advent of the Malaysian Lion Dance comps, Lion has become Lion Dance. Everyone is doing poles and tricks, using lighter heads, and nobody even is capable of doing traditional Lion. The Lion, like their Kung-Fu is for performance. Lion is more than simply a performance. It is a crucial part of fung-soi.It is a form of exorcism. Most don't even know how to do the real Lion anymore. I get calls from Resteraunts who after having these guys over, ask me for a real Lion. Not for their customers, but for Luck. Watch these Lion Dances, and tell me if you see any Kung-Fu within the steps, the movements,stance, waist,faht-ging,footwork.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    with the advent of the Malaysian Lion Dance comps, Lion has become Lion Dance. Everyone is doing poles and tricks, using lighter heads, and nobody even is capable of doing traditional Lion. The Lion, like their Kung-Fu is for performance. Lion is more than simply a performance. It is a crucial part of fung-soi.It is a form of exorcism. Most don't even know how to do the real Lion anymore. I get calls from Resteraunts who after having these guys over, ask me for a real Lion. Not for their customers, but for Luck. Watch these Lion Dances, and tell me if you see any Kung-Fu within the steps, the movements,stance, waist,faht-ging,footwork.
    Not all of us...
    Message: Due to the ongoing Recession, God has decided the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off due to power costs. That is all.

Lion dance is a very important part of the culture as well as that of the school... Knowing how to solve the "puzzle" or get the chiang is so important, as well as what color of lion that should be used, courtisies, ettiquete, ect. Some of the older generation really appreciate the old style... I fear in 20yrs, most of the old school knowledge will be gone...

hi troy,

how are ya man? im so glad you're doing well! i'm sure it will be a huge success. give me a call and we can shoot the breeze.