Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chen taiji/ yang taiji statement

Chen taiji/ yang taiji statement

Someone said the other day- ''Yang taiji is for those who cant do chen taiji.''

what are your opinions to this?

In some ways yes-
    1. Yang Lu chan did simplify his chen taiji knowledge for the royal family in Beijing because of its stomping, jumping, low stances, ect. He changed it into a more softer and continual form with the change in tempo and fajing.

some ways no-

1. availability- yang taiji is more established and is more well known, while there are few and far between chen style masters teaching. some taiji people can only find a yang teacher and are happy with that.
    http://www.polariswushu.net

That's a dumba.ss statement. But then again, I do Yang taiji.

But really, that's pretty silly.
    "Duifang jing zhi meng ji, wo fang tui zhi ce fang xi zhi."

Strongly disagree. The fact that Yang was called Wu Di was not because Yangs art was less effective than Chen or any other art, but rather because it was supreme. Perhaps it could be argued that this had more to do with the man than the art, but I think Yang Style is not the art in combat that many see in form practice; therein lies the difference between this and Chen. You cannot feel significant Qi flow when doing fast movements and forms, this is why Yang Style is slow and flowing and not because it is weak and ineffective.

'Soft as water externally, hard as an iron bar internally"

This is the nature of Yangs Style...
    I am Jacks Dan Tien

"The last sound he made was like a sparrow whistling"

Personally I tend to agree with this. I have noticed that lately, the Yangers are busy quibbling over lineage and energetics, and not doing much fighting. It all comes down to effectiveness in reality, and I have yet to see a Yanger beat a Chen stylist in a fight, at least in my town.

How close is your teacher in lineage to the supreme Yang family members?

How close in lineage is your teacher to the supreme chen family members?

How good is your teachers skill?

How hard do you train and how good is your skill?

I have done chen stlye and yang style and I like them both . My chen teacher said he has a chen style student who is 70 years old and goes into a low stace as low as the floor. I have heard that the spiral energy is more obvious to the beginner when they start out in chen style. I like both styles and both improve health and cultivate qi. Personally , I learn chen in hopes of acheiving one day " high level skill" , but I used to do yang style and that was also my goal, so again it probably has more to do with you yourself and your instructor's skill. Alot of Yang style doesn't have alot of fajin , but some do. I haven't seen a Yang style "cannon fist form" though . Does anyone know a Yang style with cannon fist moves? Maybe it's integrated as one form . I don't know really , they're both good , and really they're the same thing. The chen style seems to have more standard bearers and higher standards for proficiency. It also seems to be less polluted by popularity as most taiji charlatans will most likely rip-off yang style
    Last edited by backbreaker; 12-22-2003 at 06:56 PM.

Originally posted by Syd
    [B]Strongly disagree. The fact that Yang was called Wu Di was not because Yangs art was less effective than Chen or any other art, but rather because it was supreme.
    "WAS" is the key word here. As things are being practiced today, Yang is not faring well. Can anyone tell me about a Yang school that does full contact free sparring, and regularly faces up to other styles?

Perhaps it could be argued that this had more to do with the man than the art,
    Bingo!

You cannot feel significant Qi flow when doing fast movements and forms,
    That's absurd. It's smooth flow that allows Chen to go from slow to fast in an instant.

Perhaps , it's the very slow movements and single postures that build up energy , and then spiral movements which circulate the energy.

"Can anyone tell me about a Yang school that does full contact free sparring, and regularly faces up to other styles?"

Yes--my school, the Great River Taoist Center. My teacher is Scott Rodell, and he's never done any Chen style, only Yang, and he can fight. We practice full-contact sanshou (not the sport sanshou, just as in "free hands"). A 2-year Krav Maga student just came to our sanshou class. He did not fare too well (especially against the older students).

This whole Yang vs. Chen thing is stupid. Just train.
    "Duifang jing zhi meng ji, wo fang tui zhi ce fang xi zhi."

JohnCain,

I won't be drawn on the one thing vs another thing diatribe. If your calling Yang Style into question based on this argument then good luck to you. We will have to agree to disagree... whats new?

Can anyone tell me about a Yang school that does full contact free sparring, and regularly faces up to other styles?

I think various people are involved in Taijiquan for varying reasons. Most who want Taiji for self defence are smart enough to avoid fighting; that doesn't mean they couldn't effectively defend themselves. Some Yangers I know spar and some don't; most Yangers I know don't full conact spar because most of the movements (Yep here we go...) would do pretty serious harm to the opponent such as arm breaks, knee breaks, shots to the corotid sinus etc. I personally train and spar with a couple of guys in my system but we don't go all out for the above reasons. If you can show me video footage of full contact Taijiquan using the applications with people surviving hospitalisation I'd love to see it.

Njoy...
    Last edited by Syd; 12-22-2003 at 03:08 PM.
    I am Jacks Dan Tien

Originally posted by Syd
    JohnCain,
    don't full conact spar because most of the movements (Yep here we go...) would do pretty serious harm to the opponent such as arm breaks, knee breaks, shots to the corotid sinus etc. I personally train and spar with a couple of guys in my system but we don't go all out for the above reasons.
    I heard a guy say almost the exact same thing right before a MMA/BJJ guy handed his butt back to him.
    If you can show me video footage of full contact Taijiquan using the applications with people surviving hospitalisation I'd love to see it.
    I'll ask my teacher if I can do just that after the holidays...

I heard a guy say almost the exact same thing right before a MMA/BJJ guy handed his butt back to him.

Ahhh ok, your one of those guys... yeah, don't bother. If you want to take on any of Erle's senior students your quite welcome, I doubt they'd be interested though. Thats the difference between yourself and others...

Bye, bye...
    I am Jacks Dan Tien

Originally posted by Syd

Ahhh ok, your one of those guys... ...
    If we were face to face you would se that I'm coming from a friendly spot here... Perhaps I should have put more effort into making my post sound nicer. **** internet. No microexpresions or body laguage to go with the words.

I am not one of "those guys", Syd. I'm a IMA purist, but I will never disregard other systems that can get things done. The fact of the matter is that the MMA/BJJ crowd is mopping the floor with most TMA/CMA fighters. They have, and give proof of thier prowess quite regularly in tourneys and videotaped challenges. But unfortunately nobody in the TMA/CMA community have presented anything publicly that shows that they can handle groundfighters. Except excuses.

That said, I am personally nowhere near being in good fighting condition, but that certainly does not disqualify me from pointing out those who are.

My last word on this; Most of the Taijiquan fighters I know are not interested in ring sports or fighting as sport. I have respect for BJJ and groundfighting and train in various groundfighting and Chin Na methods as a supplement to my own standard application work.

I think a difference may be where perhaps some of the Taiji community is coming from philsophically as opposed to the attitude and philosophy of BJJ. Personally I am not particulalry interested in entering a ring and having it out with other MA's because there are rules within those circumstances that prevent most of the prime techniques and applications ,within my system at least, to be used. Essentially rendering what I do pretty obselete.

Eye jabs, throat shots, temple shots, etc etc etc... are all out the door.

Now this may sound like a cop out but at the end of the day if I wanted to fight tournament style then I would surely become a wrestler or involve myself in other MA's that have a more sport oriented competition based structure. The only reason I have learned Taijiquan Martially is to protect myself if my life depends on it. I have no doubt that I might then be able to employ the techniques I train in without hinderance or the presumption of rules etc.

Again, I respect many different MA's but I think my purpose in Martial Arts isn't the same as perhaps those within other arts like BJJ. My entire raison d'etre is not to prove myself to others but rather to train as best I can and in techniques which are lethal and final and dedicated to ending a fight as quickly as possible. Infact my whole purpose within Taiji is so that I don't have to fight and if I can avoid it and run first? You bet I would do all I could to avoid getting to the point where I have to become a temporary animal to survive.

Sure I might get my arse handed to me but I wouldn't go down without the other guy being disfigured for life... bet on that. Ofcourse I hope it never comes to that but I think most Martial Artists are the kind of people who actually avoid conflict rather than seek it out unless they are interested in combat as a form of competative sport like boxing, wrestling etc etc etc.

Most Taiji people just aren't interested in this kind of thing.

Best, Syd
    I am Jacks Dan Tien

It sounds like a cop out. How can someone crippled for life hand you your arse? Double K.O ? Does "old yang fighting style" have pao chui cannon fist form? I've seen an "old yang" form that has 6 empty hand sections , including xingyi , and bagua sections and doing them all together takes a very long time, I actually didn't learn it though. Just cheng man ching form, push hands , and fajin for taiji, also straight sword.
    Last edited by backbreaker; 12-22-2003 at 06:36 PM.

Originally posted by QuaiJohnCain

"WAS" is the key word here. As things are being practiced today, Yang is not faring well. Can anyone tell me about a Yang school that does full contact free sparring, and regularly faces up to other styles?

Bingo!

That's absurd. It's smooth flow that allows Chen to go from slow to fast in an instant.

I can't speak for anyone else, but from a martial standpoint my Yang resembles Chen pretty close. As far as full contact goes, yea we wear a lot of pads and we leave are feet often……this will make sense to he that knows Taijiquan

Facing other styles? Yea, and I've been sued too. (for property damage…of all things .....long story….) Yes, have done shoot fighting using what I know. I found it a great sport to polish some shui and tou skills. However, from a self-defense standpoint, I found the sport to contribute to some practices un-conducive to one's overall self-defense preparedness.